cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel to Gas? Yes/No???

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s the situation. I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4, with 5.9 diesel, 193,000 miles. Love the truck, but just not comfortable trusting it on long tours. I recently retired in Feb and just completed a two month cross country trip of 9000 miles towing my 20’ Grey Wolf 19rr toy hauler ( 6000 pounds ully loaded)

I simply want a new truck...I drove a 2018 Dodge diesel and was greatly impressed on how civilized diesel trucks have become in 12 years.

But I have lots of concerns with added complexity of particulate filters, extra fluids, computers, etc. And price of a diesel option.

I keep reading how the modern gas engines are competitive with past diesels.

I’m considering a Dodge 2500 with 6.4L gas, 4x4.....

I have zero intention of ever going to a larger trailer.

My question, has anyone gone from diesel to gas with my size trailer and where you satisfied or was it a big, costly, mistake.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
78 REPLIES 78

specta
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:

i bought a new 2017 f250 6.2 gasser in october and love it.

i average about 8.5 mpg towing, 16 to 17 mpg not towing.

I drove a 2016 F-250 6.2L several hundred miles on the HWY empty and only got 12 mpg.

I was surprised and a little disappointed.

Towing what I would consider a smaller boat I got closer to 9 mpg on the return trip.

I would have thought that it would have done better empty.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Unless you are just partial to Ram I would test drive all three manufacturers gassers before I bought.

Best advise so far.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Wait a year or two for the new Ford 7.0 and see how it is, but in the mean time, that old diesel would be a better choice than the new ones with DEF and PF regens and all those new goodies, unless you do the Delete. I wanted another Diesel but just couldn't justify the higher costs of the oil, def, and fuel consumption. Wish I had kept my 99 F350 7.3 now. Stuck with the 3.5 EB for now as it is a beast and tows what I have now comfortably with ease, though it does suck the go juice, 7 MPG towing, but 18-20 without towing makes up for it. Over a million of them made, and the Gen 2 has even more power and torque.

The 2019 Ram 1500 is a nice looking truck, they did a good job, and may update the 2500/3500 too, but until then, will wait and see how they do.

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
Our current truck is a 2011 F250 6.2L gas, 6spd auto 4X4. Our trailer and gear weigh in around the 8,000lb mark. As we live just outside Vancouver BC just about every trip outside the valley involves the Coquihalla Hwy. For those that have never traveled it, it is a long climb that will put your TV to the test, and has claimed many. The 6.2l truck tows it beautifully and I haven't regretted the decision to buy it at all.
I have towed with a 2500 RAM Cummins 5.9 auto 4x4, and as a direct comparison I would say that the 6.2l gas (although completely different to tow with) gives the 5.9l a run for it's money. Maintenance costs were definitely higher on the RAM truck but the 5.9l was pretty much bulletproof (just loud), and as to be expected was more economical on fuel.
I should also mention that we have also owned an 06 Ram 2500 5.7l gas auto 4X4, and although it was always reliable and had enough power, the 4spd trans was terrible and the fuel consumption was by far the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned.... There is no comparison between it and our current Ford.
The newer gas trucks are definitely much more refined than they used to be..

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
What sold me on diesel is when my dad's 2003 Ram 2500 Cummins was getting better fuel mileage while towing a 35ft travel trailer (about 12mpg) than my 2004 Ram 1500 with the small V8 during normal driving(about 10-11mpg). The best I ever got out of that truck was 14mpg when I filled it and jumped right on the highway for a 200 mile drive.

So now I have a '13 Ram 2500 Cummins and love it. I get close to 20mpg as a daily driver, have seen as high as 22.5mph straight highway driving, and 11-12mpg towing that same 35ft travel trailer. Yeah, oil changes can be expensive, but they are only required every 15,000 miles. And fuel filters need changed about once a year, but that's fairly easy. So I don't see maintenance as a big deal.

That being said, the new gassers are a lot better than they were 14 years ago when I had mine. And that 6.4 Hemi is supposed to be a beast. I'd like to hear how they are on fuel mileage as a daily driver.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the pro0blems with Midwest trucks is that the bodies rust and fall apart. Nevada is dry and we get very little if any rust. For vehicles that last a long time that matters.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Gas engine people are always talking about the intial expense of a diesel, the "high maintenance cost", etc. They also are alway looking for a new truck. My 2002 Ford 7.3 is going up in value and now worth close to $20k. I paid $34 k for it 16 years ago.

That says a lot about how the buying public feels about the years of Diesel engines that came after yours.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
It seems in today's world everyone has to have the latest and greatest everything.

I can afford any new truck out there, but I'm sticking with my 2006 Cummins 5.9 as long as I last.

It came from the factory pretty simple, and that's what I like.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
I live in Nevada. This is truck country but they are made a long way from here. F-350 is auto SRW, with air intake, 4 inch exhaust and a tuner. It is is good shape with new front end, new brakes, new tires, and a straight body. I see similar trucks listed for over $25k out here, some as high as $28k.

No lies and no BS.
You should come to the midwest then. You can buy the same truck for less half that, take it back to Nevada and make a killing. Remind me to take my truck to Nevada when I sell it, would make PT Barnum proud.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
Ppine - tell me about your $20,000 truck. F350 dually? Class c?, Class 8?, has a truck camper on it?, conversion van?, gold plated runing boards?, what makes it worth $20K. It's certainly not a stock, 02 F250/F350 like you seem to be trying to imply, without outright saying it. Come out with the details and let's not bs or hide the details.
ppine wrote:
I live in Nevada. This is truck country but they are made a long way from here. F-350 is auto SRW, with air intake, 4 inch exhaust and a tuner. It is is good shape with new front end, new brakes, new tires, and a straight body. I see similar trucks listed for over $25k out here, some as high as $28k.

No lies and no BS.
Pickup a copy of any 4WD, diesel, and/or off-road magazine and you'll get somewhat of an idea why some of these older diesels demand higher prices. Odds are the average RV'r probably isn't going to see the same value in these older trucks as the typical reader of these mags.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

No lies and no BS.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ppine - tell me about your $20,000 truck. F350 dually? Class c?, Class 8?, has a truck camper on it?, conversion van?, gold plated runing boards?, what makes it worth $20K. It's certainly not a stock, 02 F250/F350 like you seem to be trying to imply, without outright saying it. Come out with the details and let's not bs or hide the details.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
nikthejunter,
Coffee out the nose usually means effective communcation.
Happy Sunday.
A diesel truck is one of the great joys in my life, even an older dated one. I look forward to the next time it starts up. I love diesels.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Gas engine people are always talking about the intial expense of a diesel, the "high maintenance cost", etc. They also are alway looking for a new truck. My 2002 Ford 7.3 is going up in value and now worth close to $20k. I paid $34 k for it 16 years ago.

Much the same with my '03 Dodge/Cummins 305/555 HO NV5600.
I'm simply blown away at the price these model diesel trucks are bringing ....way above blue book and what lending institution will loan.
I'm thinking pre emissions diesels in certain brands/year models are in high demand could be whats pushing prices so high.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides