cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Added third brake light.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to change my running/clearance lights to an led third brake light. I found an LED bar that works for running and brake. Had to run a wire for the brakes but I have the shower wall open for a shower valve upgrade so it was pretty easy. Found some 1 1/4 plugs to cap the holes of the old lights. Hopefully this will make things safer when I brake since I usually tow a bike trailer or a toad. Yes it needs a bath.

7 REPLIES 7

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
Some fleet vehicles have headlights on all the time the vehicle is on, so I would think it is fine to have lights constantly on.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It would seem to me it would be entirely legal to wire up a relay so the parking lights (or low-beam headlights) were on all the time the engine was running. If it's legal to have them on when driving, I don't see why it would possibly be illegal to have them on automatically when driving.

Farmboy--be prepared that you may need to (re-)install two more marker lights so you have three in the middle, particularly if you have vehicle safety inspections. DOT standards call for the set of three, with a separation of six inches to a foot between each of the center ones.

I could easily do that, the side holes are plugged and wires are still there, I just couldn't fit the LED between them where they were mounted.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem to me it would be entirely legal to wire up a relay so the parking lights (or low-beam headlights) were on all the time the engine was running. If it's legal to have them on when driving, I don't see why it would possibly be illegal to have them on automatically when driving.

Farmboy--be prepared that you may need to (re-)install two more marker lights so you have three in the middle, particularly if you have vehicle safety inspections. DOT standards call for the set of three, with a separation of six inches to a foot between each of the center ones.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I like this idea!

I would also like to have tail lights on when driving in poor visibility from fog or snow. Ideally every vehicle would have tail lights on when the front driving lights (required in Canada) are on so drivers can see vehicles behind. Isnโ€™t it just as important to see what is in front of you? We are constantly advised to turn on the full headlights in poor visibility โ€œso the tail lights go on too.โ€

Anyone know if this would be a legal mod for the owner to do?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
There are two outside edge lights I left alone. The bar lights a one running light and the third brake light when braking. The screw holes are siliconed and the Kerf is actually magic marker.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
So does this LED bar light up three individual lights for the running lights and all the way across for brakes? Does it have a DOT approval number? I would not have thought it was accepted to have the space between the clearance lights lit up (even when braking), but I'm certainly no expert on vehicle lighting standards.

At any rate, it's an interesting sounding unit. I would suggest sealing the screw holes (and what looks like a saw kerf) where the old lights used to be as soon as possible lest you have water getting in and wrecking havoc.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good. Will make you more safe.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad