cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 2500 and F250 heavy duty diesel

vinnydog
Explorer
Explorer
For those people who have either truck, what would be the max 5th wheel pin weight you would feel safe with? I have been researching but I'm getting conflicting reports online. I figured I would go right to the source.

Thanks,
Rocco
61 REPLIES 61

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
So you rear end someone at a stoplight and the guy claims whiplash. How is he going to prove you were overweight?

It's not Rocket science. If your towing a 15K GVW trailer with a 3/4 ton truck. They can make the case you were overloaded. It's civil court.
They read the statement from the manufacturers concerning exceeding GVW and GCWR make their case.
Rear Axle might apply to federal bridge regulations but civil court will be a different matter.

I don't know your old 2007 looks pretty overloaded with that large Openrange trailer. 1-800-LAWYER
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
So you rear end someone at a stoplight and the guy claims whiplash. How is he going to prove you were overweight?

It's not Rocket science. If your towing a 15K GVW trailer with a 3/4 ton truck. They can make the case you were overloaded. It's civil court.
They read the statement from the manufacturers concerning exceeding GVW and GCWR make their case.
Rear Axle might apply to federal bridge regulations but civil court will be a different matter.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
This is how I come to my conclusion of not exceeding GVWR.

Here is what it says in the owner manual and tow guides.

โ€œNote:
Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Federal Safety Compliance Certification Label.โ€

Towing Guides

Next I contacted GMC Commercial Sales and ask about exceeding GVWR and loaded to GAWR and they sent me this link and this is the GMC official position.
GMC Understanding GVWR

I believe that there is very slim chance that you going to get ticketed for being over your trucks GVWR of even the GAWR/GCWR/tire ratings. My research turned to the legal side started at the link below.

โ€œTowing in excess of the vehicle manufacturesโ€™s weight limits could not only prove dangerous but could be considered negligent In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.โ€
Link: Personnel Liability for RVers

Still not total convinced I made an appointment with my trusted family lawyer and he explained how manufactures specs on all kinds of products are used in civil court to gain higher awards and there doesnโ€™t have to be a law prohibiting exceeding manufacture specs to play a role in court. The other question you might want to ask is what happens if a lawsuit exceeds my limits on my insurance policy and how to protect yourself. That question canโ€™t be answered unless someone knows what assets would be exposed and whatโ€™s your income level. That was an eye opening meeting.

This is where my research led me and now Iโ€™m going to called the weight police and attacked. Your research may lead you in a different conclusion. Everything in life has risk but you have decided if the rewards are worth the risk. In my case towing above GVWR was not worth the risk.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mod wrote:
Does that make them better than the members of RV.net or somehow superior. I think not. They can laugh all they want as they use up their trucks and roll down the road towing somebody elses trailer. I think it may be a bit different tune were they towing their own trailer with their family on board the tow vehicle.
Barney

Hey Barney...just for the record...commercial haulers and especially those who work the hotshot side own their own equipment (trucks and trailers). We run our equipment lot more miles of service than the vast majority pulling a rv several times a summer or year.
Many haulers take the family along. I Took mine when they were small mostly on short 2-4 day runs.
A one ton DRW pulling a 15k-25k loaded GN trailer in commerce isn't any different than pulling pulling a same 15k-25k lb rv trailer... or a 3/4 ton....or one ton SRW pulling smaller weight trailers.

The fun being poked at RV forums is more about all the silly comments being made about the civil lawsuit/lawyer talk scare tactic regarding gvwr or the the tire placard payload sticker.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CWSWine wrote:
You can believe or not but this is the other side and if you don't believe this talk to your personnel lawyer and make up your own mind. I did!

Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturerโ€™s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.

Personal Vehicle Towing Liability for RVers

There is a old story about a single lawyer in a small town going broke. A second lawyer moved to town and they both became wealthy.

You personally appear to be at some point been towing over the 10K GVWR of your F250, and should go buy at least a F350 SRW(appears you bought a GMC 3500 SRW). Which just reinforces the point of buying a 350/3500 and not a 250/250.

GD 310gk
UVW* 12100 lbs
Hitch Weight* 2350 lbs
GVWR 15000 lbs

Your profile however is a bit confusing as to what you currently have. Appears that you have a DP now. Got to watch those also, as some are overweight also.

It does look like you have been out helping the economy, which is good!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
You can believe or not but this is the other side and if you don't believe this talk to your personnel lawyer and make up your own mind. I did!

Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturerโ€™s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.

Personal Vehicle Towing Liability for RVers

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think many forum folks have become better educated over the last several years, concerning TV weight issues. There are still some that don't understand the numbers, when these 3/4 ton truck threads come up. Often times, to make their point, they use legal issues as a scare tactic, even though they have less understanding of weight laws, than they do of a trucks capability.

A forum member in the towing section, was recently told, because of his payload being low, that he could not carry a FW pin wt of 1,600 or more with his 2018 F250 diesel. When adding his family to the truck it would have put him over the class 2 GVWR of 10K. This truck would not have even been close to RAWR/tire rating, towing a mid sized FW. He thanked a few posters that tried to help, before abandoning his thread.

Jerry

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
Me Again wrote:

That is the manufacturer talking, not the State or Feds. You do realize that those making money as hot shotters have a good laugh about the RV.net weight police?

Does that make them better than the members of RV.net or somehow superior. I think not. They can laugh all they want as they use up their trucks and roll down the road towing somebody elses trailer. I think it may be a bit different tune were they towing their own trailer with their family on board the tow vehicle.
Barney

The point is that they tow up to the legal limits routinely, which is much higher than the weight police here post here in RV.net.

Until one has hauled under the federal bridge weight laws commercially and licensed in a state according to that state's laws the rest is just a cloud of misunderstanding of the laws and rules.

No pickup truck licensed/registered in accordance with one's states weight laws, if they register tonnage, is going to get in trouble being over weight.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is if GM wanted to up the 1000 Allison it will be a done deal.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:

That is the manufacturer talking, not the State or Feds. You do realize that those making money as hot shotters have a good laugh about the RV.net weight police?

Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CWSWine wrote:
This is what your owner manual says.

Note:
Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will
accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel
towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Here what is says in the towing guides

Towing Guide

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
Rbertalotto wrote:
Ford and Chevy are co-designing / building the next wave of new transmissions. Just read an article about this.

They are already in production. Seems odd that the Ford Mustang and the Chevy Camaro use the same 10-speed transmission. Variations of this trans are used in the F150 and the upcoming Ranger. Not sure if GM plans on using it in their pickups. Also, I wonder if there are any plans on sharing transmission between the 250/2500/350/3500 models.

If Ford shared their torque shift with GM, they could then turn the Duramax up more and really blow the doors off the Ford. Ain't going to happen.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
This is what your owner manual says.

Note:
Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will
accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel
towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Here what is says in the towing guides

Towing Guide