cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt. Rushmore

rfcsb
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore this summer and would like a recommendation for a park to stay. We would like to stay at one park and travel around the area for about a week. 38' fifth wheel one lab retriever.
46 REPLIES 46

moorer2
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed twice ant Rafter J. Itโ€™s a great campground and the location is prime.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You may find everything already booked up. With the Bike rally at Sturgis the first two weeks of August, people avoid the area from late July till after the rally and this crowds the bookings the remainder of the summer.

In any case, the Black Hills is a relatively small area. I stayed at Spearfish City Campground on the north end of the BH and rented a car (no toad) and zipped all over the place seeing stuff. Its nice to be able to stay in the middle of things, but it may not be possible to get a site. There are also some Forest Service campgrounds such as Roubaix Lake Campground on US385 between Deadwood and Hill City, and there are others, such as Pactolan Reservoir Campground

My trip report on my hurried visit to the Black Hills and the Badlands and the eclipse, last August, HERE.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
Big Pine campground Custer http://www.bigpinecampground.com 43 a night Full. Big thumbs up from us.

We recommend this campground as well....
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We personally like Big Pine Campground in customer. Plenty of space, quiet, nice owners, good price and the bathrooms were super clean.

Now if you need a pool and lots of extras, this may not be the place for you.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Mt. Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch Resort.

Place is amazing. Office looks like a grand hotel. They have 3 pools, a stable with about 50 horses for rides, ice cream parlor, laundromats, enterprise car rental, covered wagon rides, and on and on...........

Is definitely close to custer, mt. rushmore and crazy horse.

Definitely want to see Devils Tower, Needles State Park, Deadwood and the Badlands.

Enjoy your trip. We had a great time.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

rhodesaz
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J was a great CG. Of course it was very expensive.
The site we were at was a back in across the field from the office.
Nice!!!
Here is a quick video we made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kFHmAwWMts&feature=youtu.be

SDRS
Explorer
Explorer
I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Rafter J. It was beautiful, quiet, clean, well maintained, a lot of shaded spots, nice pool, and it's on the edge of Black Hills National Forest so we had our morning coffee overlooking hills and trees.
Also, we liked that Hill City is as "tourist trap-y" as Keystone. More laid back.

https://www.rafterj.com/

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Stumps wrote:
TazFord wrote:
What would be other things to see or do besides Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse for that area with 10 available days from end of June to after July 4

the Mammoth Dig site is pretty cool

otherwise we usually take several days and explore Badlands National Park. very peaceful.

Another thing to consider, if you do go out to the Badlands NP...stop by Wall Drug! It's one of those locations, like the 4 Corners Monument, that many say is a rip off. However, I found it very entertaining, and certainly different. Just one more thing to cross off a bucket list. And I got a great Black Hills Gold ring at one of the jewelry vendors there.

Agreed, Wall Drug is SUCH a tourist trap, but a lot of fun!! Badlands was very cool!!

We don't much care for the commercial RV parks that stack 'em in like sardines, so we stayed at Legion Lake Campground in Custer SP, but not sure the status after the big fire there in Dec. It was a beautiful park with lots of room between sites, and very convenient to everything in the area.

Needles Hwy is a must drive in your toad/TV.

We were there last August. Beautiful part of the country!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
TazFord wrote:
Just curious, is there anything in the area that would require making reservations (besides rv park).

They actually don't take phone reservations but if you're going during rush hours I'd definitely stop by Black Hills Burgers and Buns well before I was hungry as the wait can be over an hour, worth it though.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
A couple years ago we stayed at Ft. Welikit in the city of Custer. To me it was a great park.

Agreed! However, do NOT try to approach from the North, they are NOT kidding about the road being impassable to RVs! Hood tunnel is 10' 7" officially but I'm not sure it maintains that height through the whole opening.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere around Custer would be in the center of things. We plan to be there in July. Mt Rushmore is to the north, Wind Caves to the south and Badlands and Custer State Park to the East and Devils tower to the west (abet 2 hours) I wish we had time to stay more than a few days cause I think we could spend a month there and not see everything.

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, is there anything in the area that would require making reservations (besides rv park).
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

fil564
Explorer
Explorer
As most others, Rafter J
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
1 Wife
2 Really Spoiled Shih Tzu's
that have Passed the Rainbow Bridge