cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of switching to 4-flat towing

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
considering going to 4-flat towing. looking for a toad that requires very little in hooking up. Don't want to have to disconnect wires, fuses, put in a lube pump or all that. Thinking of something like a 4wd jeep. Wondering what people have found to be easy. Also will need a aux braking system for toad. Wondering if Roadmaster's Invisa brake is good. Again, don't want to have to mess around setting it up everytime we tow.

THANKS
26 REPLIES 26

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a 2011 Chevy HHR with a low 51,000 miles on it. My previous 2008 HHR was a perfect Toad for me. It is a small wagon very easy entrance. Worth a look if you don't mind a little vintage.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
We have been towing a Ford Focus since 2012 without issues. We use the Roadmaster Invisibrake you mentioned. I really works slick. There is never anything to do. It just sits under our passenger seat. One downside is if you change your toad often. You would have to take it back to the shop and have it removed and re-installed in your new toad. We are going through that now. We are replacing the Focus with a C-Max. I took the Invisibrake controller itself out of the Focus and will have Roadmaster install it in the C-Max as well as a new baseplate and wiring. I am lucky, I live in Vancouver, WA which is where Roadmaster is located.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2. Using Roadmaster baseplate with Readybrute tow bar. I put a 10w solar panel on the roof so I don't have to worry about leaving ignition south turned to position 1. Very easy to operate this set up.

Only challenge is typical (horrendous) maintenance of Land Rover, but have toward 25k miles with this set up.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
On my third jeep towing 4 down. The first was a manual Jeep Cherokee 1998, my second was a 2008 4dr Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, my current is a 2014 4dr Jeep Wrangler Sport. Easy baseplate installation and light wiring. I pull a fuse so miles during towing are not registered. My first Jeep I used the Blue Ox box set up for the supplemental brake, hated it. The second set up on my Rubicon was the Ready Brake, did not like it. My current set up is Air Force One, which I prefer. I installed each of the systems myself, the AF1 was the most involved by far. If mechanically inclined youโ€™ll save big bucks, plus itโ€™s good to know how the systems work.

So, when did this start with the odometer reading mileage and especially with the ignition off and not in any gear?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
Double post, sorry..
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2016 Jeep Cherokee, simple hook up with Roadmaster tow bar and Roadmaster Brakemaster brake system that runs off the air brakes on the MH. Cherokees have a problem with a "wobble" from the front wheels. If you decide on a Cherokee, make SURE that the dealership installs the "fix" for this wobble. The Cherokee must have a Quadra Trac II to be flat towed. Love the comfort and sport suspension of the Cherokee.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
A post above reminded me that the Liberty does not accumulate miles when towed (not need to pull a fuse) and I installed the base plate myself in about 4 hours. Awesome instructions from Blue Ox.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
we tow a 2012 crv with no problems, Stay and Play brake system, just throw switch, run car though the gears, shut engine off and turn key to on put in neural and ready to go. We use a blue ox towbar and base plate.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
On my third jeep towing 4 down. The first was a manual Jeep Cherokee 1998, my second was a 2008 4dr Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, my current is a 2014 4dr Jeep Wrangler Sport. Easy baseplate installation and light wiring. I pull a fuse so miles during towing are not registered. My first Jeep I used the Blue Ox box set up for the supplemental brake, hated it. The second set up on my Rubicon was the Ready Brake, did not like it. My current set up is Air Force One, which I prefer. I installed each of the systems myself, the AF1 was the most involved by far. If mechanically inclined youโ€™ll save big bucks, plus itโ€™s good to know how the systems work.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The Jeep Liberty is very easy and it's also very comfortable with an amazing amount of space. It was replaced by the Jeep Cherokee which is a gorgeous vehicle inside and out. (Not to be confused by the Grand Cherokee). You can have lots of fun with a Jeep and it doesn't have to be hard core rock climbing - although that's fun, too!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Remco

Remco will tell you if a car is 4 down towable and what is necessary to make one towable if possible.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

C20
Explorer
Explorer
We tow an 02 Jeep Liberty, transfer case in neutral and trans in park, done. We also tow my 16 Dodge 1/2 ton pick up. Same deal, other than I had to wire magnetic lights since they don't (at least then) a diode to install so I wouldn't get a light bulb out warning. Just one more little step but still less than 10 min to hook it all up.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
The Saturn S series can also be flat towed without transmission damage, the only thing they say is it may flag and error if you try to start the car after towing, as the transmission fluid temp will be higher than the motor's water temp..

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First. let me tell you how easy it is to hook up a Lube Pump (Once it is installed).

My First Towed (a Chevy Lumina APV) I really liked, 4,000 pounds and it towed free, did not affect MPG due to "Spoiler" effect.. Had to be modified by addition of an "Axle lock" this is a "Collar" on the right side half axle, you turn the wheels hard left, reach behind and give it a bit of a twist and its a trailer. no power to teh wheels. Just like that.

The tow light connector was a flat 4

The new one is a Dodge Neon no room to reach behind the tire so I use a lub pump.

Hook up .. I use a round 6 Pin cord instead of the flat 4, That's everythingm Lights Turn LUBE PUMP and transmission sense (pressure switch to alret of issues) Brakes need to be done seperate on both rides (or some more pins in the round plug)

So do not be afraid of a lube pump. .Oh, have 'em change the tranny filter and fluid during install.

But the Jeep is a good choice

Here is how to do it: Google Remco Towing USA, go to the STORE link, now you can enter your car's "Horsepower" (Make, Model, ENgine and transmission) on the LEFT and the Main Frame will give you a lot of useful data.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times