cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody maxing out an F150, by J2807?

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to trade out of my current F250, 6.7 diesel in 2020. My 5er is about 1240# on the pin and 9300# loaded for a long trip. I know it is light on the pin, but with two extra spare tires in the basement plus carrying everything in front, this is as heavy as I can get the pin. It is 2011 and we are keeping it, it does tow nice.
So who is towing a 10K 5er, with the new F150 and 3.5 ecoboost? With 2 people, the dog and our usual cabin junk, we got about 900# in the cab. Using the Ford specs, 17" wheels, crew cab, rails and fifth wheel; I should still have well over 2000# of payload, so with the 1240 pin, I am good. The camper is well under the max. So the question again, I want the opinions of those actually towing about 10K, how do you like it?
Please no "you got to have a 1 ton, and you need a dually responses."
15 REPLIES 15

Explorer II
Explorer II
Likes to tow wrote:
[snip] may be better than a little EcoBoost screaming along in "boost mode." [snip]
I tow my 10K FW at 65mph@1800rpm. No screaming allowed. It tows just like a diesel, low-end torque.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you downsize your tow vehicle you need to think about how much you tow, distances, the type of grades and elevation encountered, and the amount of non towing miles you may drive. Remember, ECOBOOST is great but it can only do two things...Eco (economy mpg) and boost..(delivering torque). It cannot do both at the same time!!! I know people who tow with the F150 EcoBoost and get 8mpg towing!! Yes they may get 20mpg non towing in flat country with light throttle but not anywhere near that if they are towing or into the "boost mode." The new F250's and 2500 series Ram or Chevrolet cannot deliver that kind of mpg non towing but towing their mpg numbers may be better than a little EcoBoost screaming along in "boost mode." Plus there is no doubt a 3/4 ton truck can handle your payload. We pull a fifth wheel about the weight and size of yours with a Ram Cummins and I cannot imagine pulling this thing in the mountains with an F150.

sele
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember the weights anymore we have an 2004 keystone hornet 275 you can look up the weights.
The f150 is a 4x4 ecoboost 3.5 max tow haul. I really feel the picture in my signature speaks volumes. There are NO after market add ons. I am happy with the way it tows our fifth wheel, no issues> We are in the Ozarks frequently each year. I wouldn't go any heavier but this setup is good.
scott

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure about J2807 but I am pulling at the max 12 years now.
Yes I go slow at times. Stopping is never an issue. Been up and down plenty of big hills. Almost 200k on the truck with original transmission and rotors.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 9500lb 5th wheel with my ‘12 F150 with a 5 liter. Getting there is half the fun of camping.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my 10K GVWR fiver for 3 seasons with an F150 Max Tow Ecoboost. Loaded pin was 1650-1700lbs and total weight was 9500. I never had an issue towing, handling or stopping, but stepped up to an F350 as I approached retirement and did not need a commute vehicle.
I was at or within the door jamb label on all but the RAWR and was 650lbs over on that. Traded the truck at 64K for the Super Duty.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
Problem with getting old is you mix plaid with poke a dots and stripped socks and think everything's good to go. 🙂

It's not? :h

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with getting old is you mix plaid with poke a dots and stripped socks and think everything's good to go. 🙂

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
My dad downsized from a freightliner chassis coach to a 12k pound (loaded) fiver and 2016 ecoboost f150.

He's stretching timing chains quite a bit (google ecoboost timing chain issues) hes gone through 2 chains, is on his 3rd and expects to need a new one as he drives from east to west coast in May.

He says it hauls OK, you know its there when the light changes green, and you know its working when you merge onto the highway - and while it pulls it, you know its working on steep hills.

He is a pretty ornery 75 year old who likes to beat on his stuff so he can tell people who hard he pushed it before it broke - he drag raced some pretty high end cars when I was a kid in the 70's and gets a big stupid toothless old man grin on his face when he sees the tach hit 6K ... if the ecoboost can take his beatings its got to be up to the task.

My only concern is the stretching timing chain issues that may not be a problem in newer models.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29350054/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

mhamershock has the F150 you will need.
F150 come in about 5 different GVWR/RAWR packages but the only one that can handle a 101k 5th wheel trailer is the F150HD with 7850 GVWR and 4800 RAWR.
Also many F150 owners though their max tow option was max everything.....its not. Just the F150HD

Use Fleet Fords specs to see which package you need F150 specs.
Spend some time looking around their website as all the mechanical weight specs are there.

The J2807 spec is about tow ratings and not load carrying capacity.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
You can do It but the issue with the Heavy Duty F150 is that it runs out of rear axle capacity before it runs out of payload.

I’d spring for a 3/4 ton gasser.

Now a HD F150 and a TT..great Combo!

Thanks and JMHO.

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
As a loyal Ford person for the past 20 years they are my go to truck. I still drive my 2000 f150 5.4 gasser daily. Last October I bought a 2017 f250 6.2 gasser. It is a beast towing our 7500 lb TT as if it was a utility trailer. I found a nicely equipped f250 gasser was more economical to buy than a f150. The big difference is suspension, rear end, transmission , horsepower and payload capacity.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There are SEVERAL different towing/payload packages available for the F150. DO NOT TRUST THAT YOUR SALESPERSON KNOWS THE BEST COMBINATION!!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think you will hate yourself in the morning!
Seriously, maxing out a vehicle is a mistake we only make once.