cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Faded Decals

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
The decorative decals on my 1999 Class C are pretty faded/worn/cracked.

Does anyone have experience getting decals removed and replaced? Who does this kind of work?

Thanks,

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I'd say you want to try that in an inconspicuous place first....
Or do some with plastidip. Then you can peel it off if it's not desire able.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are too. I considered painting them. Removing them is going to be a pain and paint is inexpensive. I'd say I can make it look good with just a spray can and some tape for much much less cash and work.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Dont waste your time with a plastic scraper.
Kinda like using the wrong side of a knife to cut your steak. Or like those chainsaw chains with the extra kickback teeth teeth thingys.
Itโ€™ll work but there are easier ways to accomplish the task.

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Im recently going through this. My 2008 AF nose graphics were looking a little faded, but just the nose.

I found this company, excellent people to work with BTW, and very reasonable prices.

rv graphics

They have the original designs for quite a few existing rvs.

I plan on doing the removal process with a low temp heat gun and plastic scraper when the weather gets a little better around here, and when I get the ambition...

Any leftover residue will be removed with a little naphtha as I have had excellent results removing sticky residues and caulking clean-ups with this in the past.

Good Luck, Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XTโ€™s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
The March issue of Trailer Life has an article on this subject. As others have said it is labor intensive and on the pricey side. You may want to check it out if you can get a copy of the publication.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Many different methods depending on substrate and how hard they are to remove.
If the unit is fiberglass, and white, it is easy to burn/discolor with an eraser wheel. I keep the eraser wheel to a minimum on gelcoat, especially white.
Know that youโ€™ll have ghost stripes after removing that will either require a cut n polish or may not totally disappear even with that level of effort. On the flip side if youโ€™re having the same graphics remade itโ€™s easy to see where to install them!
The quickest and easiest method is a heat gun and a razor scraper. Know that when theyโ€™re fresh or sharp they dig and gouge easier. Actually one application that I prefer a more dull blade for. Gentle heat and scrape. If a piece will peel by hand, peel it.
Clean up residue with most any common solvent. Goo gone, Adhesive remover, prep sol, lacquer thinner, gasoline. I wouldnโ€™t use any hotter solvents than those.
Itโ€™s a chore and I estimate it would take me a half day at least jsut to get all the decals off of the truck camper.

If I had the time, Iโ€™d remove the decals. Mine are peeling but I keep trimming them up. Works since itโ€™s like a โ€œmud splash โ€œ pattern.
Then Iโ€™d vinyl wrap it either in its entirety or selectively. Rv type structures are pretty easy to wrap because mostly flat surfaces.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
rich85704 wrote:
Iโ€™m the OP on this thread, which seems to have some new life. Yes, the decorations on my 1999 MH are pretty well baked on, cracked, and ugly. They look OK from a distance, but Iโ€™d like the old warhorse to look a bit better close up.

Judging from the comments here and on Amazon this is a two-step process: one is essentially mechanical, either using a heat gun and a scraper or using a whirling wheel of some kind on an electric drill. This seems to leave behind a residue, and there are various chemicals which will remove this.

Any way you slice it, this is clearly a labor-intensive process, so itโ€™s not surprising that it costs quite a bit to have it done professionally.

Do I have this about right? Many thanks to those who have taken the time to share their experience and opinions!

Rich

Rich,

I stripped the front, rear and about a 1/3 of the sides of my old 5th wheel. It was labor intensive but I used a adhesive remover I bought at an auto parts store.

Aircraft label and adhesive remover

I used this along with a razor scraper and I removed all in less than a day. I really helped speed up the job.

The other thing you have to consider is where are you going to get replacement graphics. My old 5th wheel was a 2004 and when I contacted Forest River the graphics were no longer available. If I went with a current set of graphics the cost was around $2000 for a complete set. WOW!

I agree that you should talk to a local RV dealer that does body work and ask them where they get there graphics from.

One other possible solution is a wrap. I have no idea what they cost but I started looking into this for my 5th wheel but we ended up trading it in.

Good luck!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rich85704 wrote:

Judging from the comments here and on Amazon this is a two-step process: one is essentially mechanical, either using a heat gun and a scraper or using a whirling wheel of some kind on an electric drill. This seems to leave behind a residue, and there are various chemicals which will remove this.

Any way you slice it, this is clearly a labor-intensive process, so itโ€™s not surprising that it costs quite a bit to have it done professionally.

Do I have this about right? Many thanks to those who have taken the time to share their experience and opinions!

Rich

I think you've got it. Have you priced replacement graphics?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m the OP on this thread, which seems to have some new life. Yes, the decorations on my 1999 MH are pretty well baked on, cracked, and ugly. They look OK from a distance, but Iโ€™d like the old warhorse to look a bit better close up.

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Rapid Remover

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Remover-Adhesive-Graphics-Stripes/dp/B006RUJ2D8
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

westend
Explorer
Explorer
They do make a graphic sheet adhesive dissolver. I can't recall the name, ATM. The dissolving liquid saves many hours of a machine in hand and the surface will be cleaner, when done.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

digital_art
Explorer
Explorer
for a 1999 motorhome i would expect the graphics to be pretty baked on the sides. you'll probably spend a good amount of money for someone to take them off for you or a good amount of time if you do it yourself. buy the 3M eraser wheel if you tackle this yourself. then you'll want to buff out the surface and possibly protect it before putting new graphics on.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
check with your local RV dealers to find who they have fix theirs. Most cases they don't do it, but farm it out to someone local. Usually dealers will give you the business card.

I've had friends use one locally recomended by RV dealer. Did a great job.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
Call these guys over in apache junction

http://www.rvsg.com/index.asp
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)