cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitches

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
Due to an accident in December, we are now looking for a new trailer, though we have found one we love, however, the hitch is the problem. ProPride is very expensive but does answer the sway control problem. However, Andersen Hitches seems to be the same answer but cheaper only $500 instead of $2700. What is your advice?:@
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml
26 REPLIES 26

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a light weight TT. I never even had a hitch until last year when I got a different pickup and there was just a little bit of sway. I now have the Anderson and are happy with it. Very easy to hook up, takes the bounce out, and helps with the sway. I haven't been on a scale so I don't know how much Weigh Distribution it is doing.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are three tiers of WDH hitches:

The basic weight distributing with optional friction sway bars. Cost about $200-400
WDH with integrated Sway control such as Equalizer 4-pt, Reese Strait Line, and Blueox Swaypro. Cost about $400-600.
Premium such as Hensley and Propride. Cost $2000-3000.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Stopping power is also an important issue. Should not tow more then approved weight.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
My answer is an Equal-i-zer 4 point.

Me too. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have been having issues with sway, you first need to look at all the things that can contribute to it. Use max sidewall psi on TT tires (except maybe the GY Endurance), increase pressure on TV tires closer to max psi, use LT tires on TV, set trailer to level to slightly nose down. Go to a scale and see what the actual tongue weight is - you want around 12-13% or a bit higher. A scale will also tell you how much payload/cargo you've added to the TV when fully loaded for camping. Then compare the total added payload to the TV max. payload rating.

Make absolute certain you have the WDH adjusted to transfer the correct weight back onto the steer axle. A well set up overall package will reduce sway to a min. No need to spend megabucks on a fancy dancy WDH to mask underlying issues.

We have a Reese dual cam WDH. Because I love it so much, you should get one too. I like it's self-centering action. Does take some extra fiddling to set it up properly initially compared to others but when you've got it right, it's like wow... There is no sway with our setup and it handles great on twisty roads at speed.

And don't let an RV dealer or hitch shop install it. Install it yourself and learn how to set it up yourself.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Love these hitch threads where some who presume themselves to be "experts" are so critical of others only trying to help the OP by responding with well intended commentary which may include alternative suggestions to what the OP had in mind. Why am I not surprised? :S

Here is the deal. If the OP is going to put 1,800 pounds of payload on a tow vehicle suited for 1,000 pounds, he better not expect "any" hitch to make him happy. But we don't know, do we? Suggesting brand names first, like you and some others have done, may be "well intended commentary", but can also be dangerous. One might want to know a little about the numbers involved first.

The OP is obviously concerned about sway and my only comment is that sway control begins with the basic setup and not just the brand of hitch. That is some, "well intended commentary". :R

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Love these hitch threads where people start touting their brand of hitch without any facts or figures about the application. Actual weights and ratings would be a good start.

Love these hitch threads where some who presume themselves to be "experts" are so critical of others only trying to help the OP by responding with well intended commentary which may include alternative suggestions to what the OP had in mind. Why am I not surprised? :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Love these hitch threads where people start touting their brand of hitch without any facts or figures about the application. Actual weights and ratings would be a good start.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
No, I haven't. It is a strange look design, that's for sure. I can't see how it works as a sway preventer.

"All" weight distributing/sway control hitches look a little weird at first glance. I have followed countless Andersen hitch threads and posts for the last four years. The score? Fifty percent of those who have never tried the Andersen hitch hate it. Most actual users enjoy the lightweight, clean, quiet control offered by the device.

As I stated earlier, it is NOT going to make a marginal tow vehicle into a towing beast.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
Have you actually ever owned or used an Andersen No Sway Hitch?

No, I haven't. It is a strange look design, that's for sure. I can't see how it works as a sway preventer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm a bit confused. Did you previously have a sway problem and you're looking for a hitch to mitigate it? Or are you just looking for a hitch that can combat sway if it does happen?

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of hitches out there. My first piece of advice is to get one with built in sway control. I am not a fan of the add on friction bars. Call me lazy but I don't like the idea of hooking up this extra piece of equipment, tightening it to some magical level and then having to remove it when backing into tight spots.

I am no expert but I am happy with my Equalizer. Mine does not make noise. I have it dialed in and use lubrication at the points the manufacturer recommends. Again, there are lots of good ones out there but you will have to take into consideration your tow vehicle and the weight and length of your trailer. Saving money is always a good thing but going "cheap" is never a wise decision.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about this one 10000 lb. Capacity Weight-Distributing Hitch
You can even get the sway control at a good price.