cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your Snowbird experience?

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Where, what was great and what could have been better and whatever else you wish to share.
pawatt
16 REPLIES 16

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
We won the weather lottery by being in Mesa Az this winter. Had a great time. Super riding area. Texas hill country warmed up in time for our month there. Another great riding area.

Our park promised very fast internet included in our rent but it never happened. They offered refunds to park model owners but squat to RVers. Cost about $75 / month for our own internet.

Are you a member of FMCA. $40/month for unlimited, with throttling a maybe after 25 gigs

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We won the weather lottery by being in Mesa Az this winter. Had a great time. Super riding area. Texas hill country warmed up in time for our month there. Another great riding area.

Our park promised very fast internet included in our rent but it never happened. They offered refunds to park model owners but squat to RVers. Cost about $75 / month for our own internet.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yuma, AZ. 14th season here. Probably the best weather we ever had here, as they all have been good, but I believe this was the best. Many cheap or free things to do here. With the busy Marine Corp Air Station here, we are treated to fly-overs very frequently. Down side as always, long time friends that for various reasons couldn't come with the number one reason being health issues. And of course trips across the border for eats, glasses, meds, and dental.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
Where, what was great and what could have been better and whatever else you wish to share.

We wintered in Rockport, TX. Hit hard by Harvey, many folks stayed away, but we decided to go anyway as the park we stayed at worked hard to get things ready for their guests, us. Sure glad we did as we met many new friends and are looking forward to this fall/winter.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
2 winters in RGV,,,, Wife health is much better here ...

south Florida did not help her...

purchased a park model.. 3 weeks ago.... heading home next week
to sell travel trailer.. and maybe our home in Ohio.

problem.. selling all my stuff.. 41 years in same house..

I have no one except for wife...
I need her to stay healthy... married 44 years.

Make three piles
1. Stuff family may want!
2. Garage sale stuff!
3. Donation stuff!

Remainder of pile 1 moves to pile 2.
Remainder of pile 2+1 moves to pile 3.
Pile 3 gets hauled to Goodwill or other charity.

East Valley of Phoenix has been great this winter, only cool weather was in the last part of Feb.

First full winter in our new park model with Arizona room. 875 combine sq ft. plus mancave/golf cart garage with loft and another storage room on back side.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona...Bullhead City and Phoenix.

Best parts: Visiting relatives and Spring Training. Lots of spring training. I love baseball.

Could have been better: I-40 around Flagstaff.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
2 winters in RGV,,,, Wife health is much better here ...

south Florida did not help her...

purchased a park model.. 3 weeks ago.... heading home next week
to sell travel trailer.. and maybe our home in Ohio.

I have no one except for wife...
I need her to stay healthy... married 44 years.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We did 6 months on the road Nov 2015-May 2016. 16 states and 6000 miles, down the east coast to central FL then around the Gulf coast to Galveston, north through Shreveport and Texarkana, then more north to OK and I-40 back east to Missouri and home through IL,KY,WV and PA.

Good

• We discovered the 'Forgotten Coast' in the panhandle of Florida. Next time south we'll spend more time there.
  • People in the south are much nicer than people in the northeast.
  • Falling Water- a Frank Lloyd Wright design in PA. Hard to believe that something that cool came out of a person's head.
  • Although it was an ambitious first long trip, we discovered that we really do like to travel and life in a tiny house was not as confining as we thought.

Bad

• W.Palm Beach area. Very congested. Spent a lot of time waiting for the left turn signal. Lots of aggressive drivers.
  • Mississippi Gulf coast was depressing. I guess it's because everything gets wiped out regularly by hurricanes.
  • The condition of the roads in the country and specifically in the northeast is terrible. I wonder where our fuel taxes are going because it's certainly not being spent on roads.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent 6 months working in Florida in 2013. Started in July, finished the project in February. For awhile I was trying to talk the wife into packing up, selling everything, and moving there. Liked the beach as I rented an oceanfront condo just south of Cocoa and fell in love with Bass fishing the St John's. Those thoughts went out the window after the first of the year and the Snowbirds started arriving. You all can keep it. I'd rather shovel snow for 4 or 5 months than put up with that menagerie. I used to write off things said in forums by year round Florida residents where the Snowbird invasion is concerned. Witnessing it in person was certainly an eye opener.

The only comparison I can make to it living in PA is trying to negotiate the local Walmart the first few days after the SS payments are dispersed. In Florida after Xmas getting a seat, or even in the door at the local watering hole for happy hour became an instant impossibility, and that's if you arrived without being in a traffic accident on the way there.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had to run the heat several mornings in SE Fla in January but no AC. January was wetter than normal with several hours of rain each week. February was near perfect with no need for heat or AC. Had to run the AC several afternoons in March and actually got to dry.

Only once did traffic on I-95 come to a stop because of an accident...traffic moves at 65+ even at rush hour. We put 250-300 miles/week on our toad.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
The great
The keys weather can't be beat. At its coldest it was 10 degree warmer than Miami.
Loved the kayaking and fishing.

The bad.
The manager was new and abusive. Came up with a bunch of new rules that only existed in her head.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Left up North near the end of November, and still currently on the road. Hoping for a 4/15 - 5/1 end date. Winter seems to be hanging on North of I90 though.

In our winter park in the RGV from 12/10 - 3/10.

What was great:
1. The trip south. Did the Bourbon trail in Kentucky, then did vacation mode all the way down to the RGV;
2. Being with good friends and neighbors once again in our winter park;
3. Meeting new friends and people on our way (currently) north. RV'ing Snowbirds and FT'ers all seem to take the same route this time of year so you have lot's in common, and new places to learn about for the future;
4. Good cheap food and drink in the RGV. Went out just about every day; and,
5. Sold our old rig that we leave in the Valley. No longer tied to the area.

What was not so great:
1. Spotty weather at best in the RGV;
2. Sold our old rig down in the Valley, and moved everything into our traveling 5'ver. Lot's of work, but we did it;
3. Dental issues. I lost one crown, and DW broke a tooth and snapped off a cap (while currently on the road heading north.) All issues fixed this side of the boarder except for cap. Temp is in place, and the fix will occur when we get back. Crown cost $125 to put back on, and broken tooth was $85 to repair (both in the Valley);
4. Blew a tire on the rig coming south, and waited 3 hours for AAA. Thinking they might lose a customer after that one.
5. Park I'm currently in had a F1 90mph tornado which was close enough for us to hear the low train noise. Makes for a good story, but was a tad nerve racking when your phone goes off at 3:30am with "Immeninet tornado alert, seek shelter in a secure low area." Never got that one before.

After 10 years of RV Snowbirding this could be our last run. Guessing I'll be leaving this forum shortly and going onto the next chapter in our retirement, whatever that may be.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:

What could have been better? I could have saved enough retirement money to be able to afford South Florida instead of the RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas).

What is great? The low cost and friendly people of South Texas.

hawkpat
Explorer
Explorer
Our first time in the RGV. Thanks to much advice garnered here we tried it from January 20 to March 20. People complained about how cold it had been but we only had about 5 days where the high was about 60. By the last three weeks we were at the pool everyday and I even got in.

Found it easy to get around. Lots of restaurants and stores within a mile or two. A great Gonzalez burger and a couple of day trips to Mexico and Arturoโ€™s. Took our time heading home but not enough time. Supposed to be 19 here Friday night. Next year another couple of weeks.

P.S. wife even had emergency appendectomy at Edinburgh regional hospital. Operation a success and care very high quality.