cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Optional routes

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
When we leave Florida, we will be heading west through Texas and onto Albuquerque. At that point we will be heading north. The most direct route is through Denver going to Sweet Grass, MT. I am also considering an optional route going through Salt Lake City. Has anyone taken this route. Opinions. How much extra mountain driving would I be giving myself?
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
13 REPLIES 13

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Or The Original Chubbys which is now north of Invesco field. Still the same recipe!
It was never "Invesco" or "Sports Authority" stadium for any Broncos fan. It has always been, and always will be, "Mile High Stadium" (at least since it was "Bears Stadium" when the Broncos first began playing there in 1960 and the Denver Bears AAA baseball team was Denver's only professional sports franchise).
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fanrgs wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
But,, where would you get great green chili salsa if you don't go thru Albuquerque?
. Yea, but if the OP comes through Denver and stays along C-470, he can get "The Burrito That Ate Juarez" smothered with as much green chile, guacamole, and sour cream as his heart can withstand at the Morrison Inn!

Or The Original Chubbys which is now north of Invesco field. Still the same recipe! Yum

Never had the burro from the Morrison inn but it sounds awesome.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
But,, where would you get great green chili salsa if you don't go thru Albuquerque?
. Yea, but if the OP comes through Denver and stays along C-470, he can get "The Burrito That Ate Juarez" smothered with as much green chile, guacamole, and sour cream as his heart can withstand at the Morrison Inn!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
kcfissel wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
If you want to avoid mountains go further north, cross the Mississippi in Iowa (avoiding St Louis) and west from there missing most mountainous areas all together until northern WY or western MT.

May be the most important part of the trip between home and AK!!
BUT, if you wait til late summer, you can have fresh green chili drop shipped to your home. Just did it for the first time last year. Got 50lbs. Spent an afternoon roasting and freezing it. Have green chili all year now!
But you can't go to Sadies or Los Cuates unless you actually go to Albq....yum
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
93 is a beautiful, easy drive!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
If you like open plains, cross at Sweetgrass. If you like mountain and lake scenery, take US 93 north out of Missoula, MT. That will take you directly yo Banff and Lake Louise on the TransCanada, and continues as the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
We have been the SL and the Sweetgrass routes. Less mountain travel by way of SG. We traveled with 39' fiver and a TC. No problems either route.

Enjoy your trip. Try not to rush the Alaska Highway. Take plenty of time to see the sights.

Lakeside

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want interstates or scenic beauty? ๐Ÿ™‚

1282 miles from Albuquerque to Sweetgrass via 550 at Bernalilio, NM to Farmington, NM then 64/491 to Cortez, CO to Montecello, UT. Then 191 north to I-70 west to UT6/191 to Spanish Fork & north on I-15 - VERY SCENIC, no big mountains.

1307 miles from Albuquerque to Sante Fe on I-25 & picking up 285 to I-70 to Denver (eliminates a lot of the south Denver area traffic from Colorado Spring north) - very scenic

1337 miles from Albuquerque via I-25 to I-90 in Montana to Billings, Great Falls & to I-15 to Sweetgrass. - boring and semi trucks
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
My personal preference going north from Albuquerque is US 285, not I-25. You will cross Poncha Pass, Trout Creek Pass, and Kenosha Pass, all easy with an RV. In Denver, take C-470 to I-70, to I-76, to I-25, which takes you around the northwest side of the city. Dakota Ridge RV Park is just off C-470, if you need an overnight stop. Or you could stay at Bear Creek Lake Park (look up "City of Lakewood Parks and Rec"), which is right at the interchange of US 285 and C-470. Then you would be close enough to have dinner at the Morrison Inn (Mexican) or The Fort (for buffalo or elk steak).

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
If you want to avoid mountains go further north, cross the Mississippi in Iowa (avoiding St Louis) and west from there missing most mountainous areas all together until northern WY or western MT.

Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take Denver over Salt Lake City any day.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to avoid mountains go further north, cross the Mississippi in Iowa (avoiding St Louis) and west from there missing most mountainous areas all together until northern WY or western MT. If you go thru the Black Hills you'll see a few big hills.

This involves a lot of Interstate hopping in the midsection of the country--I75-I64->I-65-I-74 to Iowa. But it's flat. You can get on I-80 and stay there or hop up to I-90 which runs you right thru MT. We've taken that route a number of times whenever we are going to the northern tier.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I have done both routs I prefer Denver. I do not like the salt lake route. With that said the Salt flats are pretty impressive. Other than that both routs have their mountains. My preference is through Denver. I pull a 24ft FW.