cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failing tire

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Another quality ( not ! ) made in chinna ST tire coming apart. A buddy was by today, this LR E 16" ST tire on his flatdeck trailer. I looked at the date code and it's 26th week of 2014.
Brand is BCT ( bejing capital tire )

Did a little search online about the tire company, and it seems they declared bankruptcy in 2015. Oh gee, what a surprise.....

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20160104/NEWS/160109997/chinas-bct-declares-bankruptcy

8 REPLIES 8

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmw photos wrote:
Another quality ( not ! ) made in chinna ST tire coming apart. A buddy was by today, this LR E 16" ST tire on his flatdeck trailer. I looked at the date code and it's 26th week of 2014.
Brand is BCT ( bejing capital tire )

From here and just one photo to go by, it looks like nylon cords that have failed? If so, that *could* simply be due to the way tires were treated. It's always hard to know enough history on tires and how they were treated (more like impossible) as well as not seeing the tire and dissecting it to make a reasonable conclusion. Just being made in China isn't a factor in itself. Maybe the company is going bankrupt for reasons entirely unrelated to the tire quality but then it could be, but no reason to make a judgement if you really don't know. Our Chinese made GY tires have been great for 4 seasons so far - besides being one load range higher than needed, I treat them with care.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
...and I've got 14 year old "China bombs" on a utility trailer that look as good as new. No signs of cracking, drying, or tread failure.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a better built ST go with Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle Radial Trail HD.
Both speed rated 75 mph or higher.

Or go LT but either way I recommend tires that cover the full GVWR of the trailer.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I've had various vehicles that sit around, such as motorcycles, and the tires have never come apart. Same with collectible cars.

The tire in the first post in this thread is on a trailer that gets used regularly. It doesn't go far from home, but is used locally to haul various things ( hay, equipment, etc ) between horse farms here.

My opinion, and granted, it's "just opinion", but this is just another typical cheap ST tire.
Those who believe in ST tires will argue all day long with me about it. So be it.... I posted the pic simply as yet another example of why I don't use cheap-azz ST tires on my trailers.
"Your tire tire mileage, lifespan and general condition may vary."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tires that sit come apart. It is not intuitive, but using tires helps their longevity. Cover them to prevent sun damage, buy the right weight range, and use them once in awhile.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Few years back I had some bulging like "all I could afford's" not to his extent that were on some China bomb tire that Cedar Creek sent me along w/ new axles, springs and such. Found the prob, morning of a trip we were taking. Quick run to dealer then to tire shop where we promptly switched it out for a Stampede LT tire. No probs w/ the Stampede, but next year or so, another 1 of the CB tires was low on air 3/4 way to destination. Made call to home tire shop who got me in touch w/ local shop to get a new tire. The CB tires were nearing the end of their lifespan anyways. Put on a Cooper tire and spring of following year, put new Coopers on other 3 wheels and the Stampede went on as a spare. No problems whatsoever w/ the Coopers.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If that’s a TT tire, All I could, some might say that FOUR years was too long before replacement. Such as me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
This was my 4 year old tire surprise. Bulge was on the inside sidewall and noticed the tread bulge when I was feeling the tires for heat at a gas stop.
Of course, these were crappy 13 inch bias ply tires that were on it when I bought it. Promptly replaced with load range D radials one size bigger, and no problems since then (3 years ago)

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles