cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel Upgrade - Desert Fox

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
Only have the 20-watt solar panel on my Desert Fox 21sw and would like to put the 160-watt one up there.

Any suggestions on doing this?

Thanks!
Flagstaff 228BHSE

Gold prospecting in Northern Nevada!
12 REPLIES 12

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
You need to get up to the roof and eyeball and measure what layout and space you have. Take photos. Draw a simple drawing of the layout and space.

Then go internet shopping. For example, go to Northern Arizona Wind & Sun website and look at their section of panels for sale. Dimensions will be listed, length width and weight. (I have no affiliation with them, I just found their website interesting and useful.). I

Get a good charge controller, wiring, etc etc etc, as well as a battery monitor display.

Please let us know how this works out and what you ended up with.

Best wishes to you.

I'd look for the highest wattage panel that would fit your physical space, and make sure it would pretty much evenly match your battery bank.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You mean fit physically? Got tape measure?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Rail Dawg wrote:
Hey thanks for the info.

I am wondering about size and if a 160 would fit.

No need to call Northwood to ask them if a 160 watt panel will fit on the roof of you 21SW.

I will tell you, it will fit, along with probably 4 more just like it. The roof of a 21SW is big.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Rail Dawg wrote:
ScottG wrote:
If your solar system is like the one on our AF, it's a ZAMP system designed for 10A max.
So 160 is just too much for it. You would need to replace the controller too which is no big deal since the Zamp is rather mediocre at best (although it does put on a great show).

Hey thanks for the info.

I'll contact Northwood and ask!

Thanks again.

You can install a bigger system like a 160 watt without issue - the wires are big enough for it. You just need a better controller.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Install a 160 watt or 175 watt panel for each battery that you have plus a new controller and bigger wire. You should be able to find panels for $1 per watt on Amazon or E bay.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

dudeonit
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to install this system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK12544/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 400 Watts in panels and a 30 Amp Controller.
Works Great and easy install.

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
If your solar system is like the one on our AF, it's a ZAMP system designed for 10A max.
So 160 is just too much for it. You would need to replace the controller too which is no big deal since the Zamp is rather mediocre at best (although it does put on a great show).

Hey thanks for the info.

I'll contact Northwood and ask!

Thanks again.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt it would fit.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s the wire size from the panel to the controller? And from the controller to the batteries? And both distances? Is the controller rated to handle about 14 amps?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
Is it easy to replace the 20-watt and install a 160-watt?

Just remove bolts and bolt the new one on?

Thanks.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, do it. ๐Ÿ™‚