cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Search Observations

Talleyho69
We just finished driving from Zihuatanejo to the US via Sonoyta.

He drove the RV with California plates, and I drove a Durango pulling a cargo trailer both with Guerrero plates.

We were both searched at Benjamin Hill, the guys were good, and I had to open the empty trailer.

At the border, we were both asked where we had come from, and what we had to declare. That was it.

In the next 50 miles, we went through two US border patrol stops. He was waved through, I was asked if I was a US citizen at the first one, and waved through the second.

The only time I have had to open the trailer was at Benjamin Hill. We both expected more, and were glad there wasn't.

Please, if you want to discuss this, watch the politics!!!!!!
6 REPLIES 6

Talleyho69
We crossed at Sonoyta. It took 50 minutes from when we first stopped until we drove away. Got there at 11am. They only had one lane open.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho: Did you cross at Nogales? I am wondering if the Border people removed one more Jersey barriers so that MH's can switch lanes?

Moisheh

Talleyho69
I suspect that you are absolutely correct. We would hope that our "security" personnel have been trained to screen and make intelligent decisions about people coming and going across our borders.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Its about native language speakers going into the country they claim as residents.
Border and Customs agents are naturally suspicious of persons who cannot speak, or do so with heavy accent, the native language of the nation they purport to be legal resident of.

Border agents are trained to identify persons with native speech, those with trained speech.

When I lived in Canada as a legal resident , working for American companies, I had occasion to cross the border many times. On both sides I was gven easy passage due to ID and language. Kansas warsher instead of washer, ruff instead of roof, Oklahoma ' you know it' Manitoba had many others peculiar to them .

Peculiarities in speech and behaviour are the study of our border agents whether they question in depth or pass you by. Even persons affluent in multiple languages have signature accents, formation of language even in sign that can alert a trained agent of impropriety

Talleyho69
Thanks. We are both so sad about leaving Zihuatanejo that our goal is to sell the RV, VW, and everything we don't want to take back down with us and be back in no more than 3 months. Realistic? Probably not, but we can try!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome back.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point