cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Valley of the Gods Road question.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I understand one can park pretty much where ever they want inside Valley of the Gods since it's BLM land. What is the road like inside V of the G pulling a 27 foot trailer. In other words, how far in can one go before they have to drop the trailer? I presume it isn't conducive to drive the entire length pulling a trailer.

On a related note, I know Goose Neck SP isn't far away. I could drop the trailer there, and then drive the 4x4 truck tour Valley of the Gods. However, I noticed there are very few campsites at Goose Neck. Does that park see a lot of visitors. I would be there on a Monday and Tuesday of the 3rd week in June.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
23 REPLIES 23

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Check this out

When ever I have a question about a road, I check You Tube. The link above will take you to an dashcam video taken by an RVer a year ago March. We have it on our list of places to visit next year.
Excellent
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
There are some questionable DIPS in the road in Valley of the Gods...thus shorter recommendations. We did 24/25 foot motorhome with no problems but you could also park in the beginning before any dips (near Moki dugway should there be a spot) and travel in your towed the rest of the way.

We did not stay overnight but trust me next time we are going to stay overnight or two or three.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we last visited the area we drove from the Valley to Cedar Breaks in 2 days:

- up the Dugway 261 to 95 (Natural Bridges) to 276 to Halls Crossing ferry (camp)
- ferry to Bull Frog. 276 to 95 to Hanksville. I wanted to take Burr Trail west, but it was closed due to a recent storm and mud flow.
- 24 through Capitol Reef to 12
- 12 (scenic) to Bryce
- 89, Panguitch, 143 to Cedar Breaks; this is upland forest and grass lands, with lava flows.
- 143 N to Brian Head (11,000 ft) down past ski resort to I15 (this is curvy and steep, as might be expected to a ski resort road)
- I15 to Cedar City, then west to Caliente Nevada and California.

Look at this area in a Sat view or Terrain mode to see where it crosses mountains and forests.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoynLynne that is a great video. Thanks. Rexlion I just checked out Cedar Breaks and that looks like a good stop after we finish checking the Page area. The route from page to Cedar Breaks looks interesting too. It will be mid July for our visit to Monument Valley and Page so the cool will be a welcome change.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZ Dot, Forest Service and NP all put the North Rim and Hwy 67 opening at mid May.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Breaks NM and Panguitch Lake area are also at high elevation, thus cooler.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Canyon North Rim has terrific boondocking areas just outside the park gate. There's also a lovely national forest campground right on Hwy 67 at the park entrance called DeMotte Campground. Take the next gravel road to the west just about 1/8 mile past Demotte and it will lead you to very nice boondocking sites. In May I think you'd even get a site at the park's campground without reservations. Check their opening times though.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
GCNR CG is usually booked up so if you want to go there make reservations ASAP. There is a commercial CG in Jacob Lake but it's a bit of a drive into the park. Also, like most NPS CG the CG in NR has no services.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Stay in a RV park for a night or two if it's too hot when you get to Garden of the Gods/Monument Valley. No sense driving so far and passing them up. Besides that's the West where it's dry heat! You won't be sweating and dripping like in the east and it will cool down perfectly when the sun goes down.

Yes, the North Rim is higher elevation and definitely stop there. Bryce National Park will also be a 'cool' one to visit.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. Your post got me to thinking so I checked out Monument Valley/Valley of the Gods for average temperature for June. Came up a toasty 90. While hooked to electricity, the A/C could keep us cool inside. However, at least some of that time we'd boondocking. That trailer could get down right hot.

So I'm thinking of substituting a trip to Grand Canyon NP-North Rim. Checked their average temperature, and it's in the 70's. I guess that's due to the higher elevation.

Desert Captain wrote:
Third week in June? Seriously? Anyone else think it might just be a tad warm? :h

:B
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Check this out

When ever I have a question about a road, I check You Tube. The link above will take you to an dashcam video taken by an RVer a year ago March. We have it on our list of places to visit next year.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Could be. If we get there and it's too hot, we'll figure out something else.

Desert Captain wrote:
Third week in June? Seriously? Anyone else think it might just be a tad warm? :h

:B
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend you park at Goosenecks State Park. It is now $10 & the web site states 8 designated camp sites so I don't know if you can just park anywhere now like we did years ago. When we stopped there it was never crowded. Don't expect it to be like a 'normal' state park. It's more like a boondocking spot. It gets more day drop-ins/lookers than it gets campers. I guess that's why they put a fee on it now - even for day use. The overlook in Page, AZ has just about the same view for anyone interested.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again