cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bunk fan for a hot sleeper?

chrispitude
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a hot sleeper. At home, I use a ceiling fan when I sleep at night - summer or winter. I'm used to the air flow, and it's hard for me to sleep without it (hotel room, etc.).

We have a 2018 Jayco X23E on order. I'm assuming it has the 12V jacks (1/8" phono) by each bunk. What's a good fan solution for someone who likes airflow?

These little bunk fans seem to be the standard solution:

Lumitronics Combination Interior 12V Reading Light with 2 Speed Fan for RVs, Trailers, Campers, 5th ...

but it's hard to tell from the picture how effective they really are.
12 REPLIES 12

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
chrispitude wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Are you camping off grid? If not. You could run your AC on fan only. We do it all the time.

Not often, but it's a possibility. The Jayco X23E is a fairly large unit and the A/C isn't ducted, and I've read posts that the airflow from the A/C unit doesn't get into the bunks much.

It will if you aim it toward the bunks, and open the curtains. Those nonducted AC blow hard. If they didn't. The bunk ends would never get cool
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hybrid and pop-up trailers have windows all the way around the sleeping area that unzip and allow air flow in all directions. Might be worth considering.

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of the Lumitronics units that I use in my Starcraft Travelstar. I too have to have some air flow when I'm sleeping. They work well to move the air around when the zippered windows can't be opened, and they also help with condensation in the bunks when the outside temperature requires the use of the furnace. I would also suggest some Popup Gizmos for temperature, and condensation control.

Jeff

chrispitude
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Are you camping off grid? If not. You could run your AC on fan only. We do it all the time.

Not often, but it's a possibility. The Jayco X23E is a fairly large unit and the A/C isn't ducted, and I've read posts that the airflow from the A/C unit doesn't get into the bunks much.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
chrispitude wrote:
I'm a hot sleeper. At home, I use a ceiling fan when I sleep at night - summer or winter. I'm used to the air flow, and it's hard for me to sleep without it (hotel room, etc.).

We have a 2018 Jayco X23E on order. I'm assuming it has the 12V jacks (1/8" phono) by each bunk. What's a good fan solution for someone who likes airflow?

Lumitronics Combination Interior 12V Reading Light with 2 Speed Fan for RVs, Trailers, Campers, 5th ...

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bdhoun
Explorer
Explorer
chrispitude wrote:

Our 2007 Jayco 232 came with those fans for every bunk and worked well. You can also unzip too. The fans add some white noise to help with loud neighbours

'14 Ford F-150 eco screw max tow, 3.5, 3.73's
'16 Freedom Express 257 BHS
and Equal-i-zer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't assume your Jayco has the comes with bunk fans or the jacks.

Their website should list them as standard or an option.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

chrispitude
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I am a big fan of these 10-inch O2-COOL fans from WALMART that operate from 12VDC, 120VAc transformer, or internal D-CELLS.

I checked out the O2COOL website, and I really like this 10" fan with LED reading light:

10-Inch Portable Camping Fan with Lights

It runs off 9VDC instead of 12VDC, but I can make a 1/4" phono to female power outlet adapter for a couple bucks in Ebay parts, then use an off-the-shelf 12VDC-to-9VDC car adapter:

This would also let me plug the fan into the various 12VDC sockets located around the trailer.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our pop-up we had lights that plugged into those plugs. There was no other option for a 12 volt fan. We ended up buy regular 120v AC current clip on fans. We never boondocked so this worked very well for us.

After 25 years of Pop-up and travel trailer camping, we still use those clip on fans over the bed. We don't boondock though.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We're the same way - like air flow when sleeping.
We have had Fantastic Fans (other brands may be better) in the ceiling that are thermostatically controlled. They create so much air flow that just having the window open next to the bed causes a lot of air to be drawn in. I set the thermostat so it doesn't go off unless it gets very cold.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Fan looks like it would do the job ~~ IF as (you assume) the camper comes with 1/8" jacks in the appropriate places.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

X2 O 2Cool

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a big fan of these 10-inch O2-COOL fans from WALMART that operate from 12VDC, 120VAc transformer, or internal D-CELLS.

Works great for us in our OFF-ROAD POPUP for cooling or pushing warm air from our Electric heater..

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS