cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing water heater with DSI

Robmoo
Explorer
Explorer
The pilot light for the water heater on my 2001 Coleman wont stay lit. I replaced the thermocouple and no dice. So the issue must be the gas valve. Rather than buying a $150 replacement valve I'm going to buy a new Suburban 6gal DSI model. It looks like I just disconnect the water and gas, removed the outer door, slide the old one out and slide the new one in and reconnect. There is wiring near the old unit so connecting the DSI system shouldn't be too much work. The valve for the gas is off at the tank, so I shouldn't have as much gas in the system to bleed off as I disconnect the gas.

Is there anything it would be useful to know before I start this project?
2006 GMC Envoy I6 4x4
1997 Seadoo Speedster twin 85's
2001 Coleman Niagara
5 REPLIES 5

Robmoo
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic! I haven't replaced mine yet. We had to pay the IRS this month. So, I'll probably buy the water heater next month.
2006 GMC Envoy I6 4x4
1997 Seadoo Speedster twin 85's
2001 Coleman Niagara

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
Well, worked it out, had to look under the sink by the furnace. Found a connector there (black, red, white) and tested with multi meter. ran my leads over the wheel well to the switch and connected as diagrammed. Just had to find a good place to get the right power.
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. Installed the SW6D yesterday and purchased the switch/reset light and door kit from Amazon. What is the best way to connect to 12V. Can I jump onto the water pump or furnace wiring? Or is it best to establish a new 12V ciruit.

Robmoo how did you do it?

BTW there is a red, blue, and green lead from the controller of the water heater jus like the chart above.
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will need an ON/OFF Switch (inside RV) with 12V DC POS wire and a Wire for Light. Then those wires go to DC Junction Box for water heater

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nope, it's just as simple as you describe!