cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no power when plugged into 30 amp

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I have power when on generator but not when plugged into 30 amp.
I have a Parallax 7345 converter
any thoughts to what to check, I have found no resets
thanks in advance for your help
14 REPLIES 14

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Loose connections in RV's are a real problem, unplug, and shut off generator and then go chasing loose screws in transfer switch, breaker panel, etc.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
so what was the problem? Has it been solved yet?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Once when I had the same trouble as the OP, it turned out the power cord was loose where it connected to the coach in a junction box. The junction box was located at the back of the compartment where the power cord is stored. Apparently, when putting the power cord in and out of the compartment, the wire nuts inside the junction box were loosened. Easy fix.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
transfer switch. had the same problem a few years ago. called and got a new board, simple to replace.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
I had that happen a while back. The plug to the power converter came loose. Easy fixes are the best!!

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar problem years ago and it was just a loose screw in the transfer switch.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes a good thump or poking at it after opening it up (obviously with all power removed) can unstick them. It still probably should be replaced as I suspect it's not likely to keep working well for too much longer once it's been stuck once.

Most 30A transfer switches use a single big double-throw double-pole relay/contactor, with some sort of time delay circuit on the switch over to generator power. The shore power is the normally closed circuit, and the generator the normally open one that gets closed after the time delay. Contacts that get too hot (due to wear or arcing) can weld themselves together and keep it from switching back properly, and this is one common source of sticking; to a large extent, this sort of damage can be avoided by not switching under (heavy) load.

Edit: Also check that the connections between the power cord inlet and the transfer switch haven't worked loose. It may be as simple as a screw that needs tightening or a wire nut that needs re-nutting.

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses
Electric at pedestal good
Happened after unhooking & exercising generator
Anyway to โ€œunstick transfer switch or is it shot

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Generator power output and shore power output go to transfer switch ,,,from transfer switch power goes to main AC Panel

Gen power OK
Shore power doesn't work..........TRANSFER Switch Stuck on GEN (Default)
X2

Plus - Any power at the pedestal? Could also be plug/cord etc to the transfer switch.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generator power output and shore power output go to transfer switch ,,,from transfer switch power goes to main AC Panel

Gen power OK
Shore power doesn't work..........TRANSFER Switch Stuck on GEN (Default)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Possible GFI reset

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The converter has nothing to do with the 120VAC side.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Transfer switch.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you twist the body of the twist lock cord before you twist the retaining ring. That twist lock cord is sensitive to full engagement.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST