cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Virgin River Canyon Campground, Littlefield AZ

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lovely place, clean, stunning views, Verizon works. Problems? $90/mo attracts the homeless. A few sites are junk piles.

Some campers think it's ok to run a generator all night. With no posted gen rules, no host, and a ranger 20 miles away, I guess that must mean anything goes. Community water spigot quit working after a storm blew through yesterday. I emailed the ranger. He replied there's no water here. Ok, I guess I must be delusional.

Time to leave.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
9 REPLIES 9

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting! I was visiting my dad in Mesquite, and rode my bicycle from Mesquite, up Hwy 91 (which is what the campground is on), right past the entrance. I wondered how the campground was, but being on a 55 mile ride, didn't really want to take the time to look.

We had the Saturday evening wind and rain in Mesquite, also. Half an inch at the house. All but a couple spots had dried on the roads when I was riding (started at 6 a.m.), but the canyon walls on 91 between Mesquite and Littlefield had lost lots of rocks onto the road.

I'll have to swing-through the campground the next time I am heading to Mesquite. Sister & her husband stop in Hurricane when heading towards Colorado, and this may be another possibility for them.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Must have been quite a storm... rain doesn't happen there often. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Must have been quite a storm... rain doesn't happen there often. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My site after the storm: Sat dish survived.

It just bugs me that the ranger wasn't even aware there was a working water supply there.

Also, there's a dump hole in the covered dirt area behind the now-not-working water supply. You'll need a blue boy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I learned at an early age that others would not play by my rules. Things are changing and not for the better. When you have no rules or no enforcement of the rules expect to be disappointed. Sorry you didn't find what you had hoped for.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed a couple nights there in Fall and found it very pleasant. Sorry you had a bad experience. Things must have changed.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
And Wind! Wind came up in the evening and the MH was a rockin. But looked at those in tents and they were holding on for dear life. Try to get in the back row towards the river, quieter. We would return!

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a beautiful place. There are a couple of downsides. There is traffic noise from the highway -- the walls of the canyon bounce the sound back and forth. And it can get very hot at times -- the rocks bake in the sun.

The location can't be beat, though -- it is the perfect distance from Southern California, if you are on your way to or from Utah.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Planning on staying there next trip up to Zion.
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e