cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Base Camp for planning trip

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to learn Base Camp to create my routes so I can transfer to my Nuvi. This is a difficult program, but since the smart phone they have taken away all our easy routing tools.

What is a hub? I am trying to get several routes. I prefer to have a different route for each leg of the trip. Is a hub the same thing, or should I plan a separate trip for each leg?
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C
41 REPLIES 41

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
Here is a link to free topo maps that may be of interest to BaseCamp users. https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

Thanks for the link--- it was very helpful.....

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the updates/changes, Jim.
2014 Allegro 36LA

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Updates Are Coming to HomePort and BaseCamp

Next month, Garmin is releasing new versions of HomePortโ„ข and BaseCampโ„ข that provide improved data security. At that time, Garmin will retire the Cloud Storage option. Be sure to export your user data from Garmin Cloud Storage before May 21, 2018. In addition, BaseCampโ„ข allows you to configure your favorite cloud storage provider as a replacement so you can keep your favorite waypoints in the same place you store your other important files. Please note, data will no longer be available from Garmin Cloud Storage after May 21, 2018. Detailed instructions for exporting your user data can be found in our FAQ.

If you used BaseCamp with Garmin Adventuresโ„ข, thank you for your participation in our online community for the past 5 years. Itโ€™s with sorrow we announce the end of Garmin Adventures. Any adventures you have created in BaseCamp will remain on your local computer but will be removed from the online community after May 21, 2018. You will still be able to create Garmin Adventures on your computer and load them to your Garmin device. See our BaseCamp Support Center content if you need assistance.

For HomePort users, Garmin offers an alternative to manage your waypoints, routes and other user data, without the need for the computer. The new ActiveCaptainยฎ app, available for both Appleยฎ and Androidโ„ข mobile devices, lets you create and sync waypoints and routes between your mobile device and your compatible chartplotter and much more. Learn more about ActiveCaptain today.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Let me confirm that Basecamp is an absolute ***** to learn. It's the same as Adobe Photoshop back in the old days.

But once you figure it out you'll forget all about paper maps.

The trick for me was "shaping points" as distinct from waypoints.
-jbh-

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I had never heard of hub until I started playing with Basecamp. I wasn't using it, because I like each leg of my trip to be a separate route. Basecamp definitely has a learning curve, I was an avid Mapsource and Delorme user. Neither of these softwares are really supported anymore, especially on a MAC. I have always preferred to use the laptop to route my trips and then transfer to the Nuvi. Since the advancement of the smart phone and internet on the go, us R travelers have been left in the dust. Google Maps is ok, but when you don't have internet, our in big trouble.

Paper maps are good to check that you are following a major road and the most direct route, but like someone here said, they don't tell you how many lanes or which one to be in. I have to say we started traveling with paper maps, but since I have gotten used to a navigation tool, I will never be without, as imperfect as they are.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to free topo maps that may be of interest to BaseCamp users. https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Got it, thanks guys
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Maps come with the device, depending on the model. Yes, you are absolutely correct, maps are not FREE, and in that respect, neither is BaseCamp.
I would not use BaseCamp without one of their gps devices.
2014 Allegro 36LA

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't have to pay for the maps when you have maps for your GPS. You update the maps for your Garmin GPS and Save a copy to your computer for BaseCamp to use. That way BaseCamp is always as up-to-date as possible.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand where everyone is calling BaseCamp free. Yes, I downloaded it free, but then you have to pay $60-80 to get detailed maps. Am I missing something?
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of learning BaseCamp. It is a very powerful program, but it has its quirks that can be frustrating like linking it to Google maps or importing free topo maps. It has a problem with the 64bit version of Google Earth and the 32 bit Google map version works well. Any program that has the power and complexity of BaseCamp can be a challange to learn about all of its capability, but in the end it is worth it. Seems like every day I learn something new about BaseCamp. At first I shuned BaseCamp thinking freebe software can not amout to much, but I was wrong and Garman actually provides a great freebe for their products.

"Garmin BaseCamp GPS mapping software is a very powerful routing tool, but many people are discouraged from using it because of its steep learning curve."

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Whatever happened to just looking at a map and heading out?

What's a "map"? Chuck

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
That is funny. My place too except no cell service when the GPS starts screwing with them. Nobody can be bothered to write down directions anymore.

GPS Coordinates don't lie. SOme people don't know how to give directions - run into them all the time.
I like talking to folks on the phone, getting their directions, while viewing what they are saying on google maps; then transfer to a dedicated GPS unit. Has never failed me, and I get transports for DAV that are "in the sticks".
2014 Allegro 36LA

az99
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
The only people that ever get lost going to my house are those that use a GPS. Then they call on their cell phones often more than once. If they had a map or took directions they would never get lost.

The world is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.
That is funny. My place too except no cell service when the GPS starts screwing with them. Nobody can be bothered to write down directions anymore.