cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pets entering Canada???

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
So the DW and I are planning a summer trip to the UP Michigan and into Canada to stay at the KOA in Sault Ste. Marie ON. We have a Golden that travels with us. Some sites say have current vaccinations to show at the border. Others say we have to inform Canada ahead of time and get permission. Anyone have experience crossing into Canada with their pets?
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI
12 REPLIES 12

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Headed West wrote:
Some sites say have current vaccinations to show at the border. Others say we have to inform Canada ahead of time and get permission. Anyone have experience crossing into Canada with their pets?

I believe inspection and approval is for imported dogs for resale or adoption into Canada not your family pet that will enter and leave with you.

Exactly correct.

Lakeside

Sorry, I already answered that question. Must be the old age syndrome.

Lakeside

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great information! Great thread!

Wife and I are newbies here and looking forward to trips to Canada with our two dogs.

Rich
Wyoming
Dodge 2500 Cummins
Coleman Lantern
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Headed West wrote:
Some sites say have current vaccinations to show at the border. Others say we have to inform Canada ahead of time and get permission. Anyone have experience crossing into Canada with their pets?

I believe inspection and approval is for imported dogs for resale or adoption into Canada not your family pet that will enter and leave with you.

Accurate information.

Just have your up to date rabies vaccination certificate or dog tag. You should be good to go.

Lakeside

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
We take our doggies health records with us. Never been asked for any verification. Restrictions on dog food due to ingredients may apply; however, we have never had to throw any out.

GM
I use to take a health certificate from my vet along with the rabies vaccination records. In years of crossing not once was I ever asked for the health certificate just the rabies vaccination record. I quit getting the health certificate when the vet started charging for them.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We take our doggies health records with us. Never been asked for any verification. Restrictions on dog food due to ingredients may apply; however, we have never had to throw any out.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
My Collies and I use to go to Ontario all the time. Proof of rabies vaccination was all I ever needed. Remember the dog food needs to be in the original bag or may be confiscated.

Itโ€™s been my experience that the food is FAR more likely to questioned or seized heading southbound than north.

I had one particularly feisty agent who insisted I couldnโ€™t bring a particular package of food into the US because of its ingredients, even after I pointed out that it made in the US.
I have never been asked coming back into the US about the Collies food just going North. When they were having issues with beef or chicken I didn't bring any dog food at all. I just stopped in Dryden Walmart and bought the same dog food to avoid having a issue. Agree that some border agents can be fickle.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
My Collies and I use to go to Ontario all the time. Proof of rabies vaccination was all I ever needed. Remember the dog food needs to be in the original bag or may be confiscated.

Itโ€™s been my experience that the food is FAR more likely to questioned or seized heading southbound than north.

I had one particularly feisty agent who insisted I couldnโ€™t bring a particular package of food into the US because of its ingredients, even after I pointed out that it made in the US.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Headed West wrote:

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!! diazr2
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we have crossed many times also at Sault Ste Marie. All you need is proof of vaccinations and most times they don't even ask for that. We travel with to Portuguese Water Dogs. No problems ever!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29604799.cfm
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)