cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with electrical question on 2001 Viking 2480 ST???

scootin_z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I have a pretty clean 2001 Viking 2480ST that I have had for maybe 5 years. I bought it slightly used and it's really in nice shape. I keep it open in a heated building and yesterday I noticed the interior lights were not working. Outlets (110V) and A/C is fine. Long story short I think maybe the 12V power supply/converter is bad OR I have a bad ground.
When I went to look at the wiring under the seat coming out of the converter I saw a few loose wire nuts and really shotty work from the factory. I looked everything over and the only thing I am not sure of is on the output of the supply there is 4 12V circuits (Brown, Purple, Orange & Yellow) and a Red that says 12V Batt Positive. Literally when I went to grab the wad it fell apart and 2 nuts fell right off. I removed the tape but the wires were kinda all over the place so I am not sure what goes where. The red and yellow were bare. The only stray I had was a pink that goes thru the floor and seems to run all over the trailer. I did trace it over to the 12V switch for the fridge so I assume it's just another 12V line that would go to the open yellow? That said,what goes to the Batt Positive Red? There is a place for a battery on the trailer but there is no battery in there. What would go to this red wire since I have no other strays in this wad of wires?

I can't really get under the trailer too well BUT I was able to see where they bring all the chassis grounds together and crimp and blot them to the frame and they really don't look to good. Wire is stripped way too far back and exposed wire is looking bad, but wiggling it to see if I could get lights to flicket did nothing, I read that the lights are run on the 12V only. All the outlets work and if I flip the 15 amp they go out. The 20 amp I assume is the 12V stuff? (See pics below) I have no heat or CO detector as well. If these white 12V chassis grounds are bad would ALL the 12V outs from the supply be out? I stuck a meter in the 4 colors and I have no 12V at these outputs. I would assume with the chassis ground wires crappy that MAY be my problem but I'm not convinced since I am not sure I get how the 12V works? Can I ground the ground bar on the converter and bypass those chassis ground wires to see if this is my problem? I am not able to hook up my truck to it the way it is stored. I need to move a bunch of stuff but I would be curious if they work off the truck. If so, what does that tell me? I'm just not sure how to test this converter to know if it is working. All fuses check good, but I read there may be one internal. This is a bit more of a job to rip it out. Should I have 12V at these outputs even if the chassis grounds are bad? Thank for any help!
Pics at the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bbr2y876dfzu4v5/AABEvncXLwRzZsCoOjy2i57ia?dl=0
2 REPLIES 2

scootin_z
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
It seems rather strange that all the wire nuts feel off but stranger things have happened. The heavy red wire is most likely the charge line for the 12 volt battery that supplies power to the circuits when not on shore power and to also power the brakes through the emergency brakeaway switch mounted on the trailer tongue. If you have brakes on the trailer you need a battery. You should track down a copy of the trailer's and converter's wiring diagrams.

Go to PopUpPortal and register. There are lots of manuals and members that can be of great help.

Thanks for the reply. Good idea to try to find the manual for that thing. I'll try that next.

Yeah, not saying maybe the previous owner was not in here but it sure looked original and the wire nuts that were on were not even tight. Like they never even threaded. Just really crappy work. Normally you would tape the nut after tightening. None of that etc...

I did ask a buddy last night who is an electrician and he said without that chassis ground most likely the 12V will not be there since the circuit is not complete, so I am hoping I just have bad grounds. Funny thing is the green light is on and all seems ok according to the converter, but like I said, no 12V on any of the 4 12V outputs (circuits). I did notice a very thick wire (almost like a tube) that came up through the floor and look like it also went to the chassis ground lugs on the converter and that also had come out. Put that back in and tightened it down but nothing.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
It seems rather strange that all the wire nuts feel off but stranger things have happened. The heavy red wire is most likely the charge line for the 12 volt battery that supplies power to the circuits when not on shore power and to also power the brakes through the emergency brakeaway switch mounted on the trailer tongue. If you have brakes on the trailer you need a battery. You should track down a copy of the trailer's and converter's wiring diagrams.

Go to PopUpPortal and register. There are lots of manuals and members that can be of great help.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU