cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Antonio to Nova Scotia--what shouldn't we miss?

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning a trip from San Antonio to Nova Scotia. Google gives me a route that's almost straight like an arrow northeast the whole way. Over the years, we've been throughout the country west of the Mississippi, but we're newbies to the east. What should we not miss along our route...well, let's say 200 miles around our route? Where should we camp (22-foot travel trailer?)
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
23 REPLIES 23

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss Timpson, Teneha, Bobo, and Blair.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
woming wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Don't miss any of the tolls.
p.s. Bring lots of cash, there's plenty of them.:E

is this a new issue?

Last time we've been in CDN (2012) we had essentialy no toll roads.
Can you shade some light on it?

I think he means in the NE US. Very few tolls in Canada but there is one on the Trans Canada Highway in Nova Scotia that is very cheap - I believe it was around $7 last year for an RV (any type - none of this per axle stuff!). Big debate about having tolls on a road that is primarily funded by the feds (especially the TCH) but the province put it up anyway.BTW the 4 lane divided highway in NS (and NB) is great with a normal speed of 110 (KPH that is - around 70 MPH).

Only other toll I can think of is Hwy 30 (?) bypass around Montreal if you are going from east to west that way, well worth it and again only a few dollars.

Other tolls in place if crossing over bridge border points between US/Canada. If a flat crossing no toll (e.g. south of Montreal).

HTH

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
woming wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

is this a new issue?

Other than the bridge to PEI and the ferries, I can't think of any in Maritime Canada.

He may have been talking about the USA.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

woming
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

is this a new issue?

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Use Google to look up Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina for the Wright Brothers memorial, and Mystic Seaport in Connecticut. Both destinations are on my "return to" list. You can detour around the megalopolis from Washington to Boston by going west from Richmond on 64 then north on 81 through the amazing Shenandoah Valley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenandoah_Valley

Tour the Outer Banks via ferries from south to north and take in Cape Hatteras. I could only imagine what it must be like to live on that sliver of sand during a hurricane. Go to the Dare County airport to take a flight in an open cockpit biplane.

Mystic Seaport is a stop that could take a few days if you are interested in shipbuilding in the old days". Fascinating place.

https://www.mysticseaport.org

Oh and they have the best fish and chips in North America! Really!
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
Cape Breton, Peggy's Cove, Baddeck (Home of Alexander Graham Bell and the Museum)in Nova Scotia. Also take in a few ceilidhs (pronounced kay-lee) while there. Watch the incredible tides on the Bay of Fundy.

Also lots to see in Halifax but don't miss out on visiting Grand Pré and Lunenburg. On your way from Halifax to Lunenburg, stop in at Mahone Bay and Oak Island.

If you have the time, New Brunswick and PEI are definitely worth visiting...
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Set your start point. Set your destination point. Let Google, or whatever, plot it. Next set all your POI waypoints. Recalculate. With enough tweaking it all falls into place.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
WE boondocked around the perimeter of Nova Scotia and had a great time doing it. We are not much for tours or anything like that but the boondock sites we found were sweet
and very much out of the way. Lighthouses (off season so we got away with a lot) a plenty.

We use the North syndey/Cabot Trail KOA regularly while traveling to Newfoundland (add a good 6 weeks minimum for that but well worth it)...you can skip all the stuff from east of the Mississippi and just do Newfoundland and Nova scotia IMHO.
Donna

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Try to take in the Blue Ridge Parkway, starting from Cherokee, NC, and go up thru Ashville, (Stop and see the Biltmore). When you get to the end of the Parkway at Waynesboro, just keep going on to the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. You can splinter off from there and do a side trip to Williamsburg, a good day trip and see Monticello also.
If you get to Bar Harbor, there is a ferry that takes you to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, a great way to start your Canada trip.
So much to see.....so little time!

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the Metric system is in use in Canada. It is very critical that you put metric air in your tyres when you cross into Canada. Otherwise you might float off into cyber space since standard air is 2.2 times lighter than metric air.

And if your route takes you through Kentucky, the Ark near Williamstown may be of interest.
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Find out what's on the other side of that big 'ole River. Cross it at Natchec, Mississippi, find the south end of the Natchez-Trace Parkway, over 400 miles no tolls, no commercial traffic, 50 mph speed limit,free camping and find yourselves in Nashville. Lots to see there, and you can plot your dreams towards all the big draws of the east.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Cape Breton, Peggy's Cove, Baddeck (Home of Alexander Graham Bell and the Museum)in Nova Scotia. Also take in a few ceilidhs (pronounced kay-lee) while there. Watch the incredible tides on the Bay of Fundy.
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Best to stay away from I-95 north of N. Carolina. Go west to I-81, to I-84, to I-495, and back to I-95 into Maine. You miss D.C. and NYC traffic. Not fun to drive through this combat / crash zone.

Try going to Gettysburg in PA. Lots of amazing history.

Be sure to go to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine on the way by. Wonderful place to spend a week. Lots of campgrounds.

Enjoy your trip.

Lakeside

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for toll road sticker shock. You can travel from San Antonio due north to the Canadian border and pay two tolls - HE Bailey in Oklahoma and the Kansas Turnpike in Kansas.
You can travel anywhere west of I-35 and pay no tolls.
On my first trip from OKlahoma to PEI and Nova Scotia, I was blown away by the number and amount of tolls.
There are many and varied things along the way, depending on which way you go.
If you travel in early fall, you will see some beautiful fall colors; however, many RV parks in the NE close in September.

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride