Did you mean: 

Pulled the Trigger on a new one

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the trigger on a new one.
2018 F550 Super Duty Lariat
Diesel 4 X 4

Now time to switch the body, hold downs and hitch, hope this one lasts longer than the 2008, way too much trouble with the 6.4.

They say 6 to 8 week delivery, i can’t wait.
14 REPLIES 14

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see tie downs on the bed portion. What are using to secure the camper?

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
OK So off comes the body, going into the shop to do some wiring before the new truck shows up. Way easier to work on standing up than laying under the truck.

Jefe 4 X 4 Initial pic is off of Fords site, mine won’t be in till mid June I hope.
I agree about the CGVWR thing, with the heavier frame and rear gears they are in a class of their own.
Happy Camping
Wes

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Mark, is that initial photo yours, or a stock photo? I don't see any front differential chunk hanging down under the truck. This whole GCVWR max and tow rating has just mushroomed in the last few years.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
markowwes wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
Nice..
I know they changed the frames... were the same from '07 through either 06' or '07. Might be a little mod for the transfer.

The 6.7's are well done. Nice up grade. Congrats!!

I don't know what they changed in the frame, I checked all the dimensions to make sure the service body would still fit. That is a industry standard, the same in all cab and chassis. I don't think they would mess with that. Even the hitch people would be pissed because they bolt up to the frame too.
I am looking into it but I think maybe a higher tensile strength is all, Ford added around an extra 10,000 lb. CGVW to 40,000 lb from 30,000 lb in 2008. I like that! I scale in at 29,000 lb. with the camper and boat. Nice to have the extra weight allowance.

That makes sense... could well be that they changed attachment locations/other items that interfered with their setup.

I have a couple of '07's left...I think they're at 32, 33k. Forty is a nice large jump. Sweet deal for you for sure!!
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Nice..
I know they changed the frames... were the same from '07 through either 06' or '07. Might be a little mod for the transfer.

I don't know what they changed in the frame, I checked all the dimensions to make sure the service body would still fit. That is a industry standard, the same in all cab and chassis. I don't think they would mess with that. Even the hitch people would be pissed because they bolt up to the frame too.
I am looking into it but I think maybe a higher tensile strength is all, Ford added around an extra 10,000 lb. CGVW to 40,000 lb from 30,000 lb in 2008. I like that! I scale in at 29,000 lb. with the camper and boat. Nice to have the extra weight allowance.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
Nice..

I’m surprised the chassis cab had much change. Typically they do not mess with the standard rear frame rails.

Me too on the surprise... I don't know what was changed though.

I was looking into another air suspension set up for a newer truck. Link Mfg is going to discontinue the Ford version because of the change...didn't want to put the engineering into a redesign. Has to do with market share, changes in direction for the ambulance industry and margins and sales in their main business categories. I understand, but was disappointed. Which leaves us with the probability of picking up a used truck of the years that the air system fits... '16 or so.

Picked up a new system and storing it on a pallet at the yard. So no new '18 for us..
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. Nice truck.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Sweeeet new chariot, Mark. How bout more pics?
Enjoy that beast!!
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Bedlam
Reality Check wrote:
Nice..

I’m surprised the chassis cab had much change. Typically they do not mess with the standard rear frame rails.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations and enjoy! That's one heck of a nice rig!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice..
I know they changed the frames... were the same from '07 through either 16' or '17. Might be a little mod for the transfer.

Edit: I didn't write this well; missed by 10 years and it should have read "I know they changed some things...but I was under the impression it was the frame".

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really nice, congrats.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Very sweet! I drive a 2017 F450 at work, sweet, sweet ride. I have owned and driven a lot of Ford diesel and gas trucks, 6.7 and especially the newer 2017 + is a solid platform, enjoy!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73