cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie looking for advice

PierceScott
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm new to the world of 5th wheels and I'm looking to dive in head first and live in one! Where I live property prices are absurd and i pay way too much rent with very few options. I do however have family that own a decent property that has a black/grey water cleanout, water supply, electical, etc etc everything I would need. So I've started looking at local 5th wheels to buy. I settled on a 5th wheel over a tow behind because I'm going to be parking it for 2 to 3 years without moving it and the inside space/headroom is just night and day.

What should I know? I've done a bit of reading as to maintenance and things of that nature that need to be done but what could I be overlooking here? I'm not concerned with the overall living space reduction or the fact that everything is smaller (shower, fridge, sink etc). What roadblocks might I run into?

-I'm going to skirt it to save on propane
-I go to costco more than once a week anyways so refilling propane is easy enough
-cleanouts and supplies all within 10 feet of where I would park
-Debating tarping or covering it in some way to prevent any issues with water (good or bad idea?)
-I'm an electrician by trade and I know my way around a toolbox so small maintenance issues won't scare me

Currently I'm narrowed down to 2 options as well and I wanted input/feedback

Option 1 - https://www.travelandrvcanada.com/inv/2006-Forest-River-Silverback-29-LRGBS-14301D/#mainpic

I can get this one for $24k canadian, it's a 2006 but it has a really good open feeling and a lighter coloured interior which I'm fond of

Option 2 - http://sales.fraserway.com/Page.aspx/diid/11560685/list/InventoryList/pageId/147531/location/Abbotsford/view/Details/2010-Komfort-TRAILBLAZER-277RL.aspx

I saw the dealership paperwork on this one, they got it for $24,200 and the sales manager told me he would sell it to me for $25k which is a wash for the dealership. It's 4 years newer than option 1, a little smaller with a smaller feel to it. I prefer the decor a little more. It has an insurance declaration on it from a previous incident where the roof was damaged (might hurt resale but was all fixed properly)

To be honest I'm on the fence, 4 years newer is huge when you're talking 12 years old vs 8 years old. I know nothing of the brands reputations or issues with the models etc etc which is why I'm asking for help and opinions.

What i'm concerned about:

Resale (I'll be most likely selling in 3 years or so)
livability
unforseen issues with brand or model
12 REPLIES 12

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m building a house on 5 acres in the mountains and stay in my toyhauler 2-3 nights a week when Iโ€™m there.
As someone mentioned, the insulation in most RVs is horrible. I keep the heater off at night as it wakes me up cycling all night when itโ€™s cold.
Iโ€™m fortunate to have another house and wouldnโ€™t want to have to live in an RV in a cold environment.
Since you wonโ€™t be using it to travel and are mechanically able and if the owners agree, this is want I would do.
(Youโ€™re probably looking at 10-12โ€™ wide and 30โ€™ long for a 5th wheel. )
For $24k you could build a simple 12x24 cabin on 4x6โ€ skids (non permanent) with 2x6 walls and gable roof. Insulation would be Way better and since you have the utilities close you can wire and plumb it like a normal house.
The inside can be finished to your desire and costs would depend on how nice you want it. Install a small wood burning stove and that would easily heat it on a few pieces of wood per day.
After 3 yrs you could maybe sell it to the land owners, sell to private party or move it to a new location.
I guarantee after 3 yrs of fulltime living your RV will lose much of its value and the cabin will probably be worth more than cost of materials, probably make money if you do all the work.
Also, if zoning may be an issue the land owners could just say itโ€™s a storage shed.
Hope this helps, just something to consider.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to use your propane furnace some to keep water pipes from freezing AND to help with condensation which can be a problem when it's cold out. Better to spend a little on propane than to end up with mold where air doesn't circulate with an electric heater.

PierceScott
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an electrician by trade so metering my usage is easy. My math on running a 1300 watt heater 24 hours a day isn't wrong but I could be wrong as to whether that's enough heat to keep the RV warm. Personally I like my space relatively cool year round. One thing I am doing a little bit of research into right now is building a tiny house or a shipping container house instead because I don't need the portability of a fifth wheel but we'll see where that research leads me. It seems like the biggest concern most people have is Heating and insulation in a fifth wheel which honestly has put that at the top of my radar

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're greatly underestimating the heating costs. RVs are incredibly inefficient when it comes to insulation.

In fahrenheit, with 50 degree days and 30 degree nights- I'll go through a 30 lb. container every 2-3 days. But, we like it warm during the day at like 70-72. At night, we'll set it for mid-60s.

Most people that "winter" in their RVs will have a 100 lb. tank brought in and have a contract for a propane supply company come refill it.

If you're going to use electric for much, make sure you add a meter. I've read about quite a few disputes between family + friends who put an RV on land and were surprised by the added cost.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here were the averages for January of 2017 - 16-29. I didn't think it got that cold there. So, yes, you'll have to protect your piping. If you have electric a small utility light would work. If it typically warms up during the day and doesn't stay consistently below freezing then that would be ideal.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/CYVR/2017/1/1/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&...
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

PierceScott
Explorer
Explorer
So I did the math, I have an AC/Dehumidifier/Heater all in one stand alone unit. It provides 1300W of heat and more than enough cooling for the summer time. If I ran it 24 hours a day every single day it would MORE than heat and cool the entire space and it would cost me $100 a month. That's running it non-stop, all the time... Would I need to then worry about heating the lower sections of the 5th wheel?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than putting a tarp over the top can you build a stand-alone roof with a foot or two space between the RV and roof? That would let some air circulate around the RV and you'll also be able to use your roof vents. A tarp would also cover your plumbing vent and air conditioner.

I agree with others that you should see about getting propane delivery for a big tank. It's the cheapest way to go. For heat you might want to consider a catalytic heater made especially for RVs. They are extremely economical on propane and give a nice steady warm heat. RV furnaces turn off and on as their running and a lot of the heat goes right outside through the vent. We used a propane heater all the time during the day but never at night. We like sleeping in a colder room. Turn it on in the morning and within 10 min. your RV will be toasty. We loved it. Here's a sample:

http://www.campingworld.com/olympian-wave-8-catalytic-safety-heater

For winter buy the silver foiled insulating material for your windows - some or all of them & especially cover the windows at night.

Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We had a man just last month purchase some land for his RV and after he had it all fixed, he was told it was illegal to live in an RV in our area. Check and double check the local county regulations before you invest in any money. I live in the country
Second, there are tons of ways to insulate your RV for winter climate. Check Facebook, they have a Winter RVing site with tons of help and ideas. The secret of course is insulate, insulate and then insulate some more. This will help in summer also.
There are also some great tiny homes that are built on RV frames that might work for you also.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If it's going to be stationery and plugged into electric I would use electric heat, not propane. That way there isn't a "supply" issue. The question then becomes who is paying the electric bill, you or your family? I would think you should be picking up part of the tab for the electric bill anyway. With air conditioning, electric water heater, refrigerator, and other things you will use a fair amount of electricity. Unless your electricity is really expensive or your propane is really cheap it will be more economical to heat with electric.
However, you may need to still run the furnace some in the really cold winter to blow heat down to the tanks and plumbing. Unless, you happen to have electric tank heaters.

PierceScott
Explorer
Explorer
So propane usage and leaks...

The city orindances aren't a concern for me

$50 to $200 a week for propane seems insane to me. I'll have to look into that. I don't keep the heat up in my apartment as is, I'm just not a hot weather person. Vancouver is relatively mild for winters.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Number one issue is to be sure it's not water damaged. Does the city have an ordinance against living in an RV? Not just that someone thinks it's ok or you see someone else doing it, but do they allow people to do what you are planning.

I have been in temps down to 7 degrees and burned a 30 pounder a day. If it's all legal to do you may want to have a propane co bring in a tank.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You can expect to pay anywhere from 50 to 200 do.lars a week for propane. On cold weather 25 gsllons a week is going to be the norm. You would be better off to contact the locak gas supplier and get a 50 gallon tank dropped and setup. Sign up for keep full service. RVs are just not well enough insulated to survive cold weather. Have you considered a park model. For the price your going to pay it would offer much better insulation.