cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car braking unit?

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
What is the perfered newest method of car breaking pulling behind your motorhome? We have been pulling my manual VW for our first few years, but now have upgraded to a CRV and planning a 6K trip, figured i better get legal :).
12 REPLIES 12

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Another fan of NSA ReadyBrute towbar with surge brake. Simple, doesn't depend on toad power to run supplemental brake, so no power drain, lighter, less costly than other systems, no "box" to install/remove/store. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Brake Buddy, now have a Patroit, easy to switch cars
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We've used Brake Buddy for 15 years. Over all those years, we've had two vehicles set up as toads, so a portable brake made sense. If we had only one toad, I'd want something that didn't need that In-and-Out.
Brake Buddy, however, isn't installation-free. There's a breakaway switch, and in nearly every installation, it's better to install a dedicated power outlet wired direct to toad battery with adequate wire and fuse. It's minimal, but I've still had to do that on four toads, the two we started with, and the two we have now.
That Ready Brute system also needs minimal installation, but beyond that, the braking is all in the tow bar so it can serve multiple toads.
If I was choosing now, I'd go Ready Brute, even if I had to get the apply cable installed professionally.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Brake Buddy Select works great for us!
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We have the SMI Stay-N-Play system and are very happy with it, especially the fact that is't not in your way when you want to unhook the car from your motorhome and drive the car to town or whatever; there's nothing lying on the floorboard of the car. Have put 20K miles on the system with no problems.

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the Blue Ox Patriot ststem right now. It appears to be a simple plug and play system. No extra wiring or mounting for this unit at all, just setup and calibrate.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
There is no "best for all situations" toad brake. That is why some companies like Roadmaster make several kinds.

"Best" depends on factors such as:

Is coach gas or diesel?

How often do you change tow vehicles?

How much of a hassle do you find moving/storing a "brake in a box" vs permanently installed systems?

The more you tell us about your needs and equipment, the less "here it what I chose to best fit MY, repeat MY needs" and more about the best options for you.

Example: the fact that the Roadmaster Invisibrake was the best solution for MY needs (and it was) does not mean it is necessarily the best for YOUR needs.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Roadmaster's Invisibrake. However, if you are planning to trade towed often, this might not be your best choice.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Roadmaster's Invisibrake. However, if you are planning to trade towed often, this might not be your best choice.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I am using the Roadmaster Invisibrake on my CRV. Nothing to undo when driving the car.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have and like ReadyBrake, I use it with my Demco tow bar.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the SMI Stay & Play unit as it was so easy to operate and use. SMI
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible