cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Visiting Montreal

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be coming east from BC in June via northern Ontario and would like to make a short visit to Montreal. We don't want to take our Class C into the city and don't have a toad. Is there a campground north of the city that is on public transit, or in a town where there would be a car rental outlet?

Bonnie
5 REPLIES 5

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
We were really pleased with Marina Port de Plaisance. It had lots of space, was right on the river and was indeed a walkable distance from the Metro. The only service was power, no water or pumpout, so keep that in mind if you decide to stay there.

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, we're doing this. Staying north of the city seems impossible so we'll hang a St. Christopher medal and drive to Marina Port de Plaisance. I just booked tickets for the Paul Simon concert, June 13. The river shuttle does not seem to operate on weekdays until late June but I see the Metro yellow line goes to nearby Universite de Sherbrooke. The Marina calls their service RV stopover and says no reservations but I expect we'll be alright mid-week that early in the season. Hoping they allow multiple days. (Last time there was on our sailboat in 1995! Did not foresee returning by RV all these years later.)

Thank you for the replies, especially JackD. Always good to find someone right there.

Happy travels to all!

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Camping Alouette for three days in June two years ago and were very satisfied. It is to the northeast of the city along the autoroute 20. Very large place, lots of seasonal residents but all nicely kept. Our site was up the hill, very nice and clean bathrooms, a lot of green space for the dog a short walk away. Pleasant and helpful staff.

One exit before their exit is a car dealership that represents Enterprise car rental. We picked up a car en route to the RV park, and at the end of the rental when we turned it in, they gave us a ride to our campsite.

We had no problem driving around the city with our GPS but there was a lot of construction underway. My husbandโ€™s grandparents are buried on Mount Royal, so we went there and then drove west of the city to see their home at Ste. Eustache bought in the 1950s. Current resident is renovating, invited us in, and produced a deed with grandfatherโ€™s signature!

Driving and parking in the heart of the city is tricky but do-able.

JackD
Explorer
Explorer
At LEAST three alternatives:
1) KOA south, not the closest campground but quite a nice place. They have a shuttle bus to and from downtown Montrรฉal during the summer time.
2) Camping Alouette also on the south side of the river. They also have a shuttle service to downtown Montrรฉal.
3) Marina Port de Plaisance. The closest campground to Montrรฉal right on the St Laurent river.Their shuttle is a boat leaving your campsite for a 15-20 minute cruise to downtown Montreal.
Those 3 campgrounds are easily accessible with your class C.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I think Montreal South KOA is the closest campground to Montreal. You may want to call them and see what options are available for visiting Montreal.
We plan to stay there on our way to visit your province next month. Maybe weโ€™ll pass you along the way.
Montreal can be a busy city to drive through. Take highway 30 bypass around Montreal to the south.
Safe travels!
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300