cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 RT 210 Power Issue

booboo98498
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 RT 210 V. When I plug the shore power cable into a GFI outlet, it trips. I read the resistance across the shore power plug and it is only 75 ohms. I can plug into a 30 amp outlet with no problem, but would like to be able to use a smaller, longer extension cord. Any advise would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

booboo98498
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input. I plugged into an outlet that is not GFI and it works fine. If I shut off the battery charger and all of the outlets, the GFI won't trip. I have a Kill A Watt meter and when plugged into the outlet that isn't GFI protected, the van was only drawing 45 watts and that was with the refrigerator on AC.

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
booboo98498 wrote:
I have a 2006 RT 210 V. When I plug the shore power cable into a GFI outlet, it trips. I read the resistance across the shore power plug and it is only 75 ohms. I can plug into a 30 amp outlet with no problem, but would like to be able to use a smaller, longer extension cord. Any advise would be appreciated.

My 2011 RT Popular 190 does the same thing...trips both outdoor GFI outlets, front and back. I ended up running the extention cord to my office window and connecting to a non-GFI....works everytime.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Look in all junction connections, outlets and panel for loose connections. Check all junction connections from the shore connection entry to the panel, bus bar, breakers and everything downstream. If all connections look good ohm each hot, common and ground throughout the chain of each circuit. My guess is a common, ground or hot is loose somewhere. Less likely but a length of Romex could have a short as well which ohm detection will find. Had a similar problem in a prior trailer when I would plug into a GFI and I found a common wire loose in the microwave outlet. Any small amount of resistance will trip a gfi so make sure everything is tight and not making improper contact with anything. Before doing these tests isolate the converter by killing the breaker that feeds it or by unplugging it. Also disconnect the pos and neg charge wires. Doubtful the converter has anything to do with it but with it isolated see if it still trips the gfi. If it does you know it is solely on the 120v side.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
The Roadtreks that have Tripplite inverter/chargers have had a lot of issues with tripping GFCI outlets, although normally we hear about it on post 2007 units. Of course your Tripplite could have been replaced if it is the issue. Do you know if it ever would work on a GFCI outlet? If so the van could have something gone bad.

You may want to try it in several different GFCI outlets to see if it does it on all of them, and also see if you have a Tripplite.

If it does do it on all GFCI outlets, about the only way around it is to wire in an outlet that is not GFCI protected or change to a different inverter/charger. If you chose to wire an outlet, you likely will be breaking electrical code as all garage and outdoor outlets are required to be GFCI if they are 15 or 20 amps. If you go to a 30 amp outlet it wouldn't need to be GFCI.