cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to hang a clothes bar across the back seat?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
As we all know, most tc' S don't have closets, at least not sufficient for hanging longer things (shirts, slacks, dresses, jackets, etc) without folding and cramming. The simple solution is to use the back seat of the truck, via a hanging bar. However, my truck has the clothes hooks on either side and above the back window, instead of over the middle of each back door. The headliner pretty much covers everywhere you would think to install the hooks. Can I drill into something solid behind the headliner to install a couple of hooks? Or is some other solution?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
15 REPLIES 15

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:
Any type of string, nylon strap, etc., that goes from outside to inside is going to wick water in when there's rain, and get your seat or floor wet....

I have done this looping a common 1" cam strap through the door window frames and do not remember any water issues. For clothes hanging, thread the nylon strap through a length of rigid conduit. The problem here is you need to undo the strap to open a rear door. You can also loop the strap over the cab and above the door frames but risk rubbing paint. If you do this, and get a vibration at speed, put a twist in the outside strap.

If this clothes bar is going to remain in place for the entire trip, you could build a "swingset" structure that had legs in the crease of the seat and legs to the floor of the truck behind the front seats.

Hope this helps,
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Any type of string, nylon strap, etc., that goes from outside to inside is going to wick water in when there's rain, and get your seat or floor wet.

You may have to cantilever off those rear hooks. Or, where do the rear shoulder belts attach?

I was thinking along the same lines, some sort of bracket strong enough to hold a metal rod. Or how about the extendable cargo rods made for pickup boxes. Don't know what it would do to the headliner though.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Any type of string, nylon strap, etc., that goes from outside to inside is going to wick water in when there's rain, and get your seat or floor wet.

You may have to cantilever off those rear hooks. Or, where do the rear shoulder belts attach?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
You could buy the flags that people attach to the top of their car door, and attach a zip tie, string, twine,etc..to a closet rod inside. Either leave the flag attached or remove it, and cut the plastic down to size. My son did this and he said it works well.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
joe&julie81 wrote:
I don't mind penetrating the headliner with a long enough screw in hook to fasten to something solid. I just don't want to mess something else up.

Problem is headliner isn't strong.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind penetrating the headliner with a long enough screw in hook to fasten to something solid. I just don't want to mess something else up.
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
trail-explorer wrote:
that would flap in the breeze and drive you crazy while driving.

Couldnโ€™t it be tight though? How about holding it in place with magnets? Iโ€™m just brainstorming because I have a big enough closet for me, and besides, I drive a Ford. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Couldn't you run a thin 1 inch nylon strap over the cab and hang clothes on it? The doors would probably seal.

that would flap in the breeze and drive you crazy while driving.
Bob

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Couldn't you run a thin 1 inch nylon strap over the cab and hang clothes on it? The doors would probably seal.

Bedlam
I also lost the rear over door hanger loops when I went to my Ram from my previous Ford. Luckily, I made due until I upgraded my camper and now have generous closet space for clothing. I tow an enclosed trailer most of the time and I rigged an internal clothesline for drying items that doubles for hanger hook locations. It still would be nice to get that hanging space back for bulky jackets or life vests when I don't have the enclosed trailer with me, so I am interested in what you find.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorAddict wrote:
They stopped putting hooks on the side due to side airbag deployment.

My truck is a 2015.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Oscar_P
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the headliner out of the quad cab Dodge's a couple of times (I have an '07). Honestly, there isn't a simple solution for installing hooks the way you are suggesting. You would almost have to cut holes into the headliner itself so that you can access the body under it. There is a 2" or so cavity between the headliner and the cab in that area, so simply putting a screw through will only catch on the thin fiberglass of the headliner.

With that said, I hope someone has a solution to this. This could solve some stuff for me as well and like a dope, I never even considered using the back seat for a closet.

OutdoorAddict
Explorer
Explorer
They stopped putting hooks on the side due to side airbag deployment.

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
My 04 Dodge doesn't have hooks where you would need them to hang the bar above the back seat. I've got to figure out how to put the hooks where they need to be. What can I drill and screw into?