cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Job on 95 F53 ***Update***

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have some calipers that seem to hang up, and after getting outrageous quotes on the job I figure I can tackle it myself. Ive done brakes on other vehicles so it shouldn't be too much different. Any threads on tips to the job? I want to do it once and do it right.

Update

*** Well my parts didn't come in and it was a beautiful spring day in Northern California and my usually more grounded better half and I decided to visit the local RV dealership and well this led to that and let's just say I won't be doing brakes after all.***

16 REPLIES 16

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been debating on upgrading for a while and now seemed as good a time as any. So in a week we pick up a new Winnebago Vista 32YE. Got a great deal I think with all the upgrades and can't wait to get to exploring in it.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
eastfizz wrote:
...The calipers also came with guide pins incorporating stainless steel...

Thinking this was the real cure to the problem.

To OP, good luck on your brake job.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

eastfizz
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased our 1997 Rexhall in 2006 with 18,500 miles on it. One of the first things I did was replace the brake calipers with re-built ones from NAPA. I also replaced the brake hoses, and brake fluid. One of the reasons I went with the NAPA calipers was the metal pistons used (heard the stock, phenolic ones were not good) The calipers also came with guide pins incorporating stainless steel. Used permatex disk brake caliper lube when I installed the pins. Last year, after 35,000 trouble free miles (including a trip to Alaska and back), decided to pack the front wheel bearings and check the caliper pins. After repacking the bearings, re-lubed the caliper pins, reassembled, and everything is good again. Living in Colorado, going out of the state often means going over mountain passes. Never any sticking calipers or other brake problems. Just my experience, others may differ.

Best regards,

Lowell

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my calipers and lines a couple years ago. The pads looked brand new, but the calipers showed wear and apparently had taken some heat at some point. The rubber portions of the brake lines were starting to crack, so I was glad I decided to replace them as well.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
At 20+ years old and sticking calipers... consider new/rebuilt calipers and new hoses all around.

I AGREE !

Also, get new slide pins with boots.

If you do NOT get reman caliper, make sure the surface UNDERNEATH the stainless steel hardware is cleaned down to bare metal. Brake caliper grease should always be placed on that surface.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to mention to pay attention to the boiling point of the brake fluid.

Ford OEM brake fluid is actually very good as is their high temp caliper slide lube.

My 97 F53 was over loaded by a 35โ€™ Holiday Rambler. It weighed 20000 pounds.

I would experience fade on downhills. I didnโ€™t ride them, brake hard to slow then get off to cool.

The best way I found to not get them so hot was to use them as little as possible.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just to clear the air a bit,the rubber hose can collapse on any auto. no matter who made it.if there old ? change them.

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I know it's not a do it once thing I've greased the pins before I should have been more clear. I have a 2000 mile trip coming up with some pretty good mountain passes so not sure of the age of all the components I figured replacing with new stuff will give momma piece of mind. Going to round up parts this week and hit it Saturday. Wish me luck.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if I would say I had poor braking issues, just I was never very confident in them. I upgraded to the best calipers, did the lube, did the DOT 3 swap, everything I could think of except for your grinding down pad trick. Even after all of that I would suck in air if I was in heavy traffic approaching a stoplight (going the speed limit) that would then turn yellow on me. I never felt good about the stopping distance. Like BigK said I drove like I didn't have brakes, only problem is everytime I left a gap, some yo-yo would pass me and then pull into that gap I had, prior to some stop.

Got truck/5'ver now. I hit the brakes, little red light shines brightly, all is good.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
So much mis-information. There are 5 brake hoses on your chassis, not 3. It was the chevy P32 chassis that had the brake hose problem, not the Ford F53 chassis. The brake hoses are still in good shape on my 95 F53.

I suspect you'll find the dust boots on the rear calipers have been over heated and are cracked. The OEM phenolic caliper pistons can swell and drag in their bores. You can buy metal pistons and caliper rebuild kits or exchange your calipers for complete units.

Before you attach the new outer pads to the calipers, check fit them in the axle bracket. They needs to float freely in the axle brackets. Most outer pads are a touch too long and need to ground down a little.

As already noted, clean or replace the slide pins and the surfaces they press in to. Use the synthetic grease labeled for brakes on the pins and mounting surfaces. The front slide pins, are much easier to remove if you un-screw the steering stops first. Cleaning and greasing the slide pins is an every other year maintenance item, according to Ford. Also change the brake fluid on a two year schedule.

Unless the rotors are warped or have been scored by metal from the pads, leave them alone. No need to turn them.

Don't go cheap on the pads. $39.95 per axle is not enough to get quality pads. More like $100.00 per axle. :(:(

Not sure why others experience poor braking problems. On one panic stop, my wife got seat belt bruises. Bad brakes won't do that.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fought brakes on my 97 constantly. As stated, lube pins and replace hoses.

It the main thing I learned that made the biggest difference was to learn to drive like I didnโ€™t have brakes.

Leave a big gap in stop and go traffic so you didnโ€™t use the brakes. Drop it into 2nd and let the engine slow you down. Go down steep grades in 2nd. Etc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
On a F53 460 there is no such thing as do it once on a brake job. You'll find out they need constant maintenance.

More then likely you already have new calipers on the rig that old, and the slide pins need to be cleaned and lubed. I'm sure the thing about the hoses is very possible, I see it quoted on the forum all the time. I just never ran into anyone in life on the road that had that problem.

What you'll learn is if the calipers are good, then the pins are sticking. They need to be cleaned and lubed every other year or more.

The brake fluid is also an issue and should be changed every other year or more. It's just the nature of that beast.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on the hoses, and the rest is up to the inspector.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you change the two front rubber hoses, be sure to replace the one rear rubber brake line as well. Just because your calipers are sticking does not mean they need to be changed. Just clean up the slide surfaces and apply brake lubricant, which can handle the high temps.