Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1988 Econoline 150 Okanagan MFG Camper Van

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I'm looking for more information about this camper van to fix it up and perhaps add some improvements.

This van was originally an "incomplete" E-150 from Ford.

The door decal shows Okanagan MFG which I assume did the camper conversion.

I would like to fix it up enough so it can be taken camping off-road.

However it's a bit low and was thinking of trying to raise it up some. Perhaps installing a lift kit?

Are there lift kits available for a 1988 E-150 and a van with this type of camper conversion?

Should I be looking for a lift kit that can fit a (1988) F-150 truck?

What would be the best method to raise it up?
Purchase springs with higher spring rates and stronger and longer shocks?

I know there are air bags that provide lift, however I think I would rather raise it up using actually springs as air bags have limitations while off-road.

Some of the information I have so far.

Engine 5.0L V8 OHV 12V

Fuel Capacity 18 gallon City Mileage
Engine 5.0L V8 OHV 12V

Transmission Type Automatic
Anti-Brake System Non-Abs
Steering Type R&P

Door decal shows:

GVWR 2948 / FVWR FRT: 1403
GVW - 6500 LBS
4 REPLIES 4

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
After some research one person from the Ford forums stated there may be some difficulties when swapping out springs and tires to larger sizes.

Reply from member of a Ford-Truck forums.

You can’t just put heavier springs under the front end or else it will throw your camber way out of whack. The axles pivot under the center of the van and are engineered to factory specs for the camber depending on the weight of the van and have matching coil springs to achieve the proper camber. A heavier spring will raise the van but will also throw the front wheels into a positive camber. That is what happened on my van when I replaced the coil springs with springs that were supposed to be replacements for my original ones. Due to the positive camber the new tires quickly started feathering and wearing out on the outer edge.

I think perhaps he's correct that installing larger tires would effect differentials with 3.55 gears so perhaps I could go another ~inch larger in tire size without effecting the differentials torque too much?

Raising the springs evenly front and rear may work as long as the drive line angle and wheel camber isn't effected.

When installing a lift one needs to consider the drive line angles of the driveshaft where it connects to the diff and transmission or for a 4x4 the transfer case. If this is off by too much where adjustments won't correct the problem what often is done is a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) is installed. SYE's use a double cardan u-joints which allow for wider drive shaft angles.

Two rear wheel drive vehicle it usually isn't as much of a problem as with 4x4 vehicles with a transfer case between the transmission and rear diff.

I think for now I'll just install a new set of tires and ask the tire shop what they think about going larger than a stock tire size of 235/R16.

One person state that 31x10.50-15 have been installed on E-150's without any rubbing.

I think perhaps I'll ask at a local RV shop that works on RV's should know which tires sizes work and about installing heavier duty springs, etc.

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
The Van currently isn't licensed in my state so there's no way to drive the van legally on any public roads.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it to a reputable truck frame and spring shop in your area. They would know how to get the best ride and clearances you need,

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Once upon a time there were several companies that did 4x4 conversions. Effectively installing a live front axle and different rear springs. As I remember it added around 5 thousand to the price of the van. You might do an internet search and start contacting people to see who might still be doing it. Rear lift is easy, new springs. Frot being twin ibeams not so much. You would probably have to swap the front end totally out for a solid front axle or a front drive setup. Unless you have good mechanical skills probsbly not sonething you could do at home.