cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under-$16K truck with 3500lb camper payload?

Coyotefred
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

Truck camping newbie here, hoping for a little truck-buying advice from you experienced users. I need to replace my current 4×4 project/hauler/bad weather roads truck (not my daily driver–I have a 2wd car for that.) And I’d like to get into some truck camping, so I’d like to find a truck that can do both.

The truck camper sizes/models I’m leaning towards have a wet weight of around 3500 lbs (something like the Lance 850), so that’s the camper/payload capacity I’d need.

The challenge is that I need to stick to a $15-$16K budget for the truck, which limits me to older used trucks, and likely full ton rather than ¾ ton models since I’ve seen few older ¾ ton models that would get me the 3500lb payload.

Another challenge: I live in a rural area with pretty limited “local” truck-buying options, so I’m having to do my truck-buying research via internet/email/phone, and I’ll likely be driving 5+ hours to inspect/buy the truck.

Any general advice on years/makes/models I might focus on for getting that 3500lb payload on a $16K budget? I don’t have any preference on make. I need gas and 4×4, and would prefer SRW, xcab or crew for the interior storage and the long bed for projects/hauling when not hauling the camper. I’ve been able to find a couple of F-350 Super Dutys Crew LB 4×4 years 2005-2008 that are within my budget; seems like one of these might be a decent choice for what I need?

Finally, since I’m going to be looking at older trucks that usually have been “worked,” any specific mechanical issues I should keep an eye out for when I physically inspect/drive it?

Thanks for your help!
Colin
30 REPLIES 30

Coyotefred
Explorer
Explorer
What about something like this 2008 F350 SD?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xpdeRoJBQgizHi1l1

'Checks all the boxes I'm looking for (6.8 V10, gas, CrewCab, 4x4, LB), and is only 8500--but has 229K miles on it. I'd get it inspected at an independent shop before buying obviosly, just wondering whether 229K is worth the gamble? Then again you're saving a lot up front and you're still ahead even with some repairs as long as they aren't serious/major compared to dropping another $10,000 to get a truck with half the miles...

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
More miles = lower price, but potentially spending that savings sooner rather than later on repairs/upkeep. 'Trying to find a decent trade off point between the two...

That's just a tough deal like rolling the dice..As you well know I'm sure,if an engine is kept up and serviced regularly they last for a long time buttttt things wear out..Fuel pumps/starters etc etc..The Ford V-10 has a good rap as did the Ford 460 with things to look for or watch..

My son bought a 2002 Chevy Silverado 6.0 with 115K on it and has literally done nothing to it other than replace the fuel pump..It has been a bullet proof truck but now that it has 150K on it,he is starting to worry some because things do wear out and need to be replaced.

What's to many miles??Good question as my neighbor has a 460 Ford right at 300K but he has replaced stuff..

Ofcourse,lower miles is better but finding them is tough sometimes.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Coyotefred
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, understood. 'Just trying to profit by some of the experience here. I posted over at that other forum as well, thanks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
At some point, you have to pull the trigger. I think you have the considerations here. I'd also reread the thread. For specific Ford engine info, go read at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum9/.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Coyotefred
Explorer
Explorer
At this point I'm leaning in the direction of 350 SD 4x4 SRW 6.8l V10 gas Super or Crew with long bed. I've got nothing against GMC/Silverado 3500s, it's just that these aren't nearly as common as the F350s in my neck of the woods--particularly with my $15-$16K budget.

The dually-no dually issue is hard to decide, but the mud/snow traction issue is a concern for me so I'll probably stick with the SRW. I'll get the camper after the truck, and if I need to downsize that a bit to stay within weight ratings I can live with that... But I definitely need a capable mud/snow driver since this won't be a camper-only truck.

I'm focusing on F350s 2005 and later (significant 2005 upgrades). Looks like the same 6.8L V10 was used 2005 through 2010, then new engines and a locking diff option with the 2011s.

With my budget I'm obviously seeing trucks with some high miles on them. How many miles are too many?

I know engine life depends on lots of things, but I'm assuming most people are buying 350s (rather than 150s or maybe most 250s) as real work trucks with real work miles on them.

More miles = lower price, but potentially spending that savings sooner rather than later on repairs/upkeep. 'Trying to find a decent trade off point between the two...

Any thoughts/advice to help my shopping appreciated! Thanks!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the folks here could find a reason why toothpaste isn't good to use with a toothbrush..

Say it isn't so..Laughing

The truck camper sizes/models I’m leaning towards have a wet weight of around 3500 lbs (something like the Lance 850), so that’s the camper/payload capacity I’d need.

You will be hard pressed to get a used 350 SRW pickup with that much payload once your gassed up and ready to go with everyone on board.

My F-350 dually weighs 6400+ pounds full of gas with the wife and me and my tools..Subtract that from the 10K GVWR and that leaves 3600 pounds for payload..Rated curb weight does not include much.So I am just under GVRW with a Lance 9.6 with a sticker on the camper saying it weighs 2742..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Coyotefred, don't second guess a dually if you find a good one. Some of the folks here could find a reason why toothpaste isn't good to use with a toothbrush.......or why a dually won't go through snow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I think people underestimate 2WD vehicles in snow, especially the dually has gotten a bad rap on the internet which is completely different than I have seen in the mountains of Idaho.In my opinion a 2WD dually does a great job in the snow...Chained up a 2WD is just hard to stop.

This day I pulled out two 4X4 trucks who got squirrely in the snow.Mine is my old camper hauler in 2WD with chains.

To the op..I was looking on craigs list last night and saw three truck/camper combo's for sale in good condition that had already done the mods to haul there campers at very reasonable prices..Two cheaper than 16K and one at 20K for both..Buying the combination already setup would be just perfect,in my opinion..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Coyotefred
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting discussion on the snow/mud/traction consideration DRW versus SRW. I appreciate that since snow/mud IS a major factor for me. I live on a hilly county road that doesn't see the plow for a day or two. Luckily more 'sandy' mud than clay/gumbo, so things dry out pretty fast. 90% of the time my 2wd daily driver does just fine since we only get about 14" precip a year. But that other 10% I definitely need something that will get me through...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Then in slippery condition like light rain, or icy snow, it is rubber quality that plays major role. You get long-lasting tires, having hard rubber and that will suck in slippery conditions.

You're desribing multiple conditions. You are right if you are trying to imply that no tire is great in all conditions.

My long lasting tires are great as long as the tread is the determining factor. Not as good if the tread compound is the most important factor.

They're terrific in slippery mud and snow.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
There is no road condition that can match other road condition.
When dually does have to make extra track, it is having lower per square load on the rear and in light mud that helps.
Look at farm tractors. The really big ones don't have just duallies, but 6 or even 8 tires on rear axle.
Then in slippery condition like light rain, or icy snow, it is rubber quality that plays major role. You get long-lasting tires, having hard rubber and that will suck in slippery conditions.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the snow is different in NY..I have had just the opposite experience with duallies in the snow..Mine does way better than my son's Chevy 4X4 in 2wd..His siped Toyo AT's and mine Cooper AT3's siped.

I have been quite impressed with the traction in the snow empty and I am know stranger to snowy roads.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tires on the DRW are aggressive Hankooks with barely 3000 miles on them.

1500 has no problem even with nothing in the bed with half-worn Firestones.

Don't get me wrong, I love my DRW, and luckily I have little demand for charging through 12" of snow...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires make a huge difference on any pickup. If I really wanted to regularly go through deep snow, I'd load the truck bed.