cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove generator from RV?

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
If I need to remove the generator from my RV, what's the best way to do that? Mine unbolts from the front and hinges down. So I assume I'd have to undo the hinge bolts at the back also and lower it.

I have a hydraulic jack, but I don't know how you'd balance the thing on the jack pedestal. I suppose a pallet jack would be ideal, but I don't have one.

What do you all recommend?

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

14 REPLIES 14

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
So, for future readers, mine was easy to take out and put back in.

First, I disconnected the fuel and battery connections at the front corner of the generator.

Then, I bought a $10, 1000-pound rated small wooden dolly with 4 casters. I put this under the genset, and used 4 sections of 4x4 post, built like a Lincoln-log house. 2 going across the dolly, then 2 going across the first 2. Then I placed a 2x4 on top of one of the last 2 4x4s, because the pan of the 4BGE genset is "stepped" and so to keep it level needed some extra wood on one side.

I was able to position this under the genset, and then I jacked up the outside edge of the genset until I could remove the support brackets, and then I went under the RV and jacked up the inside edge of the genset so that I could lift it off its hinge mounts (after first removing the hinge keepers).

When the jack was released, it eased down onto the wood blocks, and then the dolly and genset could be rolled out of the genset compartment.

My genset had a generous service loop for the 120VAC armored cable, which terminated in the roof of the compartment. Inside the coach this is under one of the kitchen bench seats, so it was easy to remove the junction box cover and disconnect the cable connections.

With that, the generator was free and I was able to roll it into my garage. I got the neighbor to help me lift it up onto a workbench.

Installation was the reverse.

Now that I know how to do it, I could probably remove or install it in 30 minutes.

Not much to it. The biggest benefit is my RV has hydraulic leveling jacks, so I can put down the jacks on the genset side of the RV to jack it up and then I put jackstands against the frame and lower the jacks until the frame is resting on the jacks. Otherwise I would not be able to crawl under the RV without losing a lot of weight. ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will come out easy enough, the trick is supporting it while you take the bolts out.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The generator in my class C (also accessed from the side) wasn't hinged. I just used an ordinary car floor jack to lower it, guessing at the balance point and getting close enough to be able to control it reasonably on the way down. The greater part of the job was disconnecting everything, and getting access to the points to disconnect everything (wires and the gas line). A transmission jack might be a bit easier, but this worked out okay to lower and replace it.

Do take care to plan ahead as needed for adequate clearance under the side skirt once the generator is lowered to be able to get it out from underneath.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I have been considering a transmission jack.

Mine is mounted on the side of my Class C in a compartment that is open to the ground. When you remove the front support straps, the unit drops down on hinges from the rear for service access. I imagine I will have to unbolt the hinges also. So I need to support the unit while all support bolts are removed.

Steve

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
my Onan 4,000 watt was mounted in the rear of the motor home. The starter had gone bad, so we thought. Rented a transmission jack to lower it, and to put it back up into position. The Onan had a metal bracket that held it in with. In-bolted 4 bolts, the fuse line and wiring and down she came. Installed new starter and back in she goes. Worked like a dream.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, I was thinking 5th wheel. Other kinds of vehicle may be easier.

When the Cummins dealer removed the 5500 from our old 5th, they tipped it back and got the forks of the forklift under it and floated it out.

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
I took an Onan 5500 out of our FW before we traded. It was in the front hatch. I picked up pallets level with hatch an walked it out and onto pallets. Then walked it into a metal wheelbarrow. Just think about how the ancient societies did stuff. By the way, I did it all by myself.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep, I was bad, but hey you can find most any thing on you tube,

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
try a U tube, it ain,t hard just heavy . and out of balance.

Hi Midnightsadie, are you referring to "YouTube" or is a U tube a piece of equipment?

Thanks,
Steve

I had the same thoughts. When I Googled U tube, the only thing that came up was Youtube. That's probably what Midnight was talking about?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fork lift.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Midnightsadie, are you referring to "YouTube" or is a U tube a piece of equipment?

Thanks,
Steve

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldf hire a more experienced mechanic
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Fork lift is how you need to do it. That is if you plan to reinstal a working generator again.