cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Brakes and suspension maintenance

bswan
Explorer
Explorer
Well this years 5TH wheel maintenance called for the wet bolt shackle upgrade and a disk brake conversion. First test drive with the new suspension upgrades provided a WOW factor! It took a little convincing to win the wife over on spending the money on these items but after our ride she was "all in". The only one who didn't like it was our dog when he was launched into the front seat on the first brake tap. The money spent didn't make it any prettier, shiny, or more sleek but it sure does allow a more relaxing feeling of safety and security in our equipment. The disk brake job was done at my residence by Performance Trailer Braking (Highly recommend).
9 REPLIES 9

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
With over twenty years of towing 5th wheel rv’s....disc brakes were at the top of my RV “bucket list”! Fulfilled that a little over 4 years ago.....along with a short list of other “must haves”. I “Am Not” disappointed!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
After so many Dexter grease seal problems, one being my own I turned to Performance Trailer Braking for the brake conversion and have had no regrets. Found another grease seal soaked brake assembly when removing the old drums. I have some peace of mind that if a seal goes now it isn’t concealed in a drum assembly while it gets soaked.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Our River Stone Legacy came standard with the disc brakes which was on my list of must things, also 8,000lb axles and H rated tires. Very pleased with them and will probably never get a unit without them now.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
So the drum brakes on the TT/5er were inadequate? Or just something you wanted to do?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Another Performnce Trailer Braking customer here....

Like you, DW was NOT sold on the money spent until our first trip out. We had a car pull out in front of us on a 2 lane and then she stopped in the lane.. dead stop... SO did we, With room to spare, where as with the old drum brakes, I am positive I would have hit her..

I got the head nod and smile... that told me everything I needed to know
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take the bait. Drum brakes have always been good enough. I do wonder what excellent and superb might be like, and will probably do the same update. :C
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes mine started when the springs flatted out. Did the suspension upgrade with that repair. Swapped to disks last year with self install. In hindsight I should have done both a decade earlier.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Nice mod - I'd like to do the same some day.
(I'm sure someone will be along to say drum brakes have always been good enough for them though...) 😉

Not me Disc is the best.:)
Performance Trailer Braking did mine also.

Now put shocks on the list if you don't have them.:D
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice mod - I'd like to do the same some day.
(I'm sure someone will be along to say drum brakes have always been good enough for them though...) 😉