cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water shut off solenoid on timer

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things I worry about when we leave the RV is a water leak. Now I know I could just shut the valve and last year we tried that but we forgot, a lot. I had some free-time to kill. LOL! So here's what I did to solve the "problem".

I bought a 12 volt normally closed solenoid valve off e-bay for 7 bucks. On each side of the valve I added a garden hose fitting. The valve screws onto my water inlet connection and the hose now screws onto the valve. I ran a hot to the pump from the compartment light.

Then I got creative and programed a NodeMCu (2 bucks on Ebay) using Arduino so that anytime the Node sees terminal D1 go "HIGH" (3.3 volts) it sends power to a Mosfit out D5 thereby grounding the pump through the Mosfet. I programed the Node to power D5 for 900000 milliseconds if D1 goes high.

Then I added a doorbell switch in the water compartment so I could push it and get 15 min "water on" time. It connects D1 to 3.3 on the Node.

I bought a 433Mhz remote receiver that came with 2 transmitters off Amazon (16 bucks) and wired relay 1 on the receiver to the Node so when the transmitter button "A" is pressed the relay connects the Node D1 to 3.3 volts on the Node. Thereby setting the timer to on for 15 min.

I'm putting one transmitter in the bathroom and one at the kitchen sink.

The water will now automatically shut off in 15 min.

If you followed that congratulations ;). It was a fun little project.

It's all mounted under the bed with only 5 wires from the electronics.
Hot
Ground
Switched Ground
and two wires to the doorbell button.

If it ever fails the valve can just be unscrewed and the hose connected directly.

Here's the code I used:

int buttonState = 0; // variable for reading the pushbutton status

void setup() {
// initialize the pin as an output:
pinMode(D5, OUTPUT);
// initialize the pushbutton pin as an input:
pinMode(D1, INPUT);
}
void loop() {
// read the state of the pushbutton value:
buttonState = digitalRead(D1);

// check if the pushbutton is pressed. If it is, the buttonState is HIGH:
if (buttonState == HIGH) {
// turn on:
digitalWrite(D5,HIGH);
delay(900000); //15 min on time
}
else {
// turn off:

digitalWrite(D5,LOW);
}
}
60 REPLIES 60

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
jwandvassie wrote:
I just keep my insurance paid and forget those trivial concerns.

If it flooded, I'd hate to start over and have to upgrade a (even new) RV. Also I'd bet that it would get totaled and I wouldn't be happy with the amount of the check.

jwandvassie
Explorer
Explorer
I just keep my insurance paid and forget those trivial concerns.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
As the story goes, his covered wagon came with chinese wagon wheels. On his last trip one blew out and took out a propane line, some skirting and scraped off some of the decals. He gave up after that and ended up buying some land off the French near Louisiana to settle down at.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:

"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

what RV did Tom have?
bumpy
Covered wagon, the original RV.:W
Hope his equine tow vehicle(s) were rated for that weight!:B

Don't step in the exhaust!
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:

"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

what RV did Tom have?
bumpy
Hope his equine tow vehicle(s) were rated for that weight!:B
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:

what RV did Tom have?
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:

what RV did Tom have?
bumpy

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
4x4van wrote:
I guess "someone" might have to press the button again...oooohhh, too much work? Got it. ๐Ÿ™‚ And they STILL would never have to remember to turn the water off at the faucet when they leave camp for awhile, would they?:C

not too much work, just a nuisance. and as I said before,, i put a simple 90 degree throw valve on my water intake so it is extremely quick and easy to cut it off. certainly less of a hassle than having to locate/push a switch every time one wanted water. would be easier to use on board tank and avoid the unnecessary bells and whistles.
bumpy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a while, we used a solenoid without a timer. We ran a power cord into the RV and plugged it in when we wanted water, then unplugged it when we wanted the water off. We finally got tired of that routine and quit using shore water. Now, we just fill our fresh water tank whenever it is empty and use the pump.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
I guess "someone" might have to press the button again...oooohhh, too much work? Got it. ๐Ÿ™‚ And they STILL would never have to remember to turn the water off at the faucet when they leave camp for awhile, would they?:C

not too much work, just a nuisance. and as I said before,, i put a simple 90 degree throw valve on my water intake so it is extremely quick and easy to cut it off. certainly less of a hassle than having to locate/push a switch every time one wanted water. would be easier to use on board tank and avoid the unnecessary bells and whistles.
bumpy

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

What if someone was doing a large stack of dishes, cutlery and pots 'n pans? Water wouldn't be running non-stop for rinsing but washing/rinsing could take a while.

Or what if someone was using the outside shower to wash a big furry dog or you have a large family of kids just returning from the beach and you want them to rinse off outside?

Or what if you turned the water on to use the toilet and go for a drive and along comes your DW 20+ minutes later and the toilet won't flush and can't use the sink? I know I'd be in big trouble. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Or... Maybe I'll think of more later. ๐Ÿ™‚
"Go for a drive"?
Ummm, wouldn't that require you to turn off the faucet and unhook your water hose anyway? The OP's setup is for city water, not onboard pump, or did you miss that?

Your other scenarios? I guess "someone" might have to press the button again...oooohhh, too much work? Got it. ๐Ÿ™‚ And they STILL would never have to remember to turn the water off at the faucet when they leave camp for awhile, would they?:C
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Why not a less then $10 mechanical water timer from Wallyworld or electric one for around $20.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
I always admire people who can take all those boards and circuits and timers etc, and diodes and transistors and make them into something that works.

What impresses me is the kids doing it.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I always admire people who can take all those boards and circuits and timers etc, and diodes and transistors and make them into something that works.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson