Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preserving camper top Class-B

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a 1988 Class-B Okanagan (Econline 150) with a plastic top that doesn't protrude over the cab.

Doesn't have any leaks or damage. I'm thinking of re-caulking it's aging seams and repairing areas with surface rust on the body.

I'm uncertain about the plastic top, it appears to have aged and needs to be cleaned.

I'm wondering what is normally done to restore and preserve the plastic tops on a Class B?

Some sort of plastic paint? Sand down and spray with a paint designed for RV plastic tops?

I will need to clean it before determining to what extent it has aged.

Are there specific methods used to restore aging plastic tops such as used on Class B conversions?

I haven't yet done a close inspection and uncertain if the top is made from plastic or a fiberglass?

I don't want to make the van to appear as when new, with a new paint job, just want to perform preventive maintenance and do any necessary repairs.
9 REPLIES 9

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Andonso wrote:
That looks good. So it's similar to painting a fiberglass boat?

My top is grey.

I see rustoleum has Marine Topside Paint https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings/topside-paint in Battleship Grey

Yes, like a boat 🙂

The yacht paint really levels nicely!
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
doughboy wrote:
you may want to check this out, i plan on doing mine when the weather warms up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG64Yn1Pc6E

I've seen that before, using Zep floor wax. I'm thinking of using on a 92 E-350 Fleetwood with fiberglass exterior.

One other thing about the Vanagan B-Class. (I haven't had a chance to to perform a better inspection inside because I'm allowing the previous owner to keep his stuff, tools and a freezer inside until he has a chance to store elsewhere)

I noticed the Class-B's roof is made from two solid layers of plastic, interior and exterior. I'm only able to see around the roof vent where the bottom half has separated around the vent, where there is some deteriorating foam insulation.

The interior of the roof doesn't appear to be removable. I don't see any method to re-insulate between the two halves unless completely removing the roof from the RV?

Perhaps this is something I should let go for now and the rest of the insulation is ok?

The RV being 30 years old I suspect what insulation it has it's probably not in the greatest shape. I once rebuilt an earlier 44 foot RV manufactured in the mid 50's however it was constructed with a wood frame and removable aluminum ext. panels with screws. There was also less than a foot of space underneath with metal sheathing where I was able to blow in insulation.

I'll need to take a closer look to determine what parts of the interior can be removed so to re-insulate.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
The pro who did my hitop used regular Rustoleum, swears by it. I tried to talk him into using something more expensive, but no!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

doughboy
Explorer
Explorer
you may want to check this out, i plan on doing mine when the weather warms up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG64Yn1Pc6E
Larry, Lisa, and a dog named "Pepperjack"
2000 Excursion,Toreador red,diesel
2013 cruiser, viewfinder,
Waitin for my ship to come in

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
That looks good. So it's similar to painting a fiberglass boat?

My top is grey.

I see rustoleum has Marine Topside Paint https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings/topside-paint in Battleship Grey

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1977 Dodge camper Van with a fiberglass roof that I repainted with marine primer and marine paint a couple of years ago...here is a link to that job with pictures if that helps you.....

Roof Restoration of Camper Van

Wasn't difficult, but it took some time and labor....
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen different types of plastic roofs used for RV's.

Some of the plastic roofs are made from a polycarbonate while others are made from fiberglass, with strands of fiberglass combined with fiberglass resin. A polycarbonate is a thermoplastic which is approx. four times stronger than fiberglass.

From searching online I see paints designed to work on both or more specifically on one or the other.

I think perhaps it's a polycarbonate roof, however I can't determine for certain because of the headliner. Usually fiberglass roofs you can see the fiberglass strands at least on one side while the other side may be coated or painted with something to make it smooth.

I've worked on boats but mostly wood or metal, not much with plastic.

I can remember a boat from years ago that was made from concrete.

It was made from some sort of specialized concrete and wire.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you think of your top as a "boat" - you'll find lots of products to clean/paint/restore, etc.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
"Some sort of plastic paint? Sand down and spray with a paint designed for RV plastic tops?"

Yes. Rough sanding usually. Followed with a microfiber rub, than paint designed for fiberglass.

Fiberglass IS plastic.

The roof seam caulking? I hate caulking myself, never have been patient enough to do a good job with it. For that reason I love Eternabond Roofing Tape. Stuff sticks like crazy, is darn well impervious to everything thrown at it on a vehicle's roof. Available at Amazon in a couple colors. There's several widths available. Home Depot carries it too, usually in the 2" width.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.