cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GAS ENGINE REPAIR NEEDED FRONT GASKET & OIL PAN SEAL

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping someone here might be able to help, we are on a trip from Canada down to the USA. Hitting I15 to Pocatello, Mesquite, down to YUMA (medical appointment there on Monday morning). then heading towards Phoenix, Tucson, to then the plan was fish all around New Mexico, before meeting cousin in Vegas coming from Ireland for 3 week trip up to Grand Canyon, California coast.

Currently right now, sitting in Great Falls Idaho, at wonderful man Ron's Mechanix Unlimited business. He can't handle the labour intensive repair and get us out of here until Monday, but says we should be OK for a while to get to our appointment in Yuma without too much incident as long as we keep eye on oil levels every 100miles or so, and he has sealed which we are waiting for it to dry right now to hopefully assist in the interim.

NEED PLEASE: Recommendation of a GOOD, Reliable repair facility that could handle our 36ft Southwind Gas Engine RV Workhorse Chassis for the above type of repair. Anyone have any recommendation of where best to get this done at a "fair" door rate/hourly rate price for quality work.

Many many thanks,

FTW
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars
10 REPLIES 10

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember only one other instance where a GM 8.1L engine failed in an RV, more than once.
It turns out that the reason for the failure was the MAS sensor, which was moved from engine to engine as part of the engine change out procedure.
Brazel's finally found the problem before it destroyed another engine.
If the shop is just changing out the long block and reinstalling ALL of your old engine's accessories, you may be just transferring the problem from one engine to the next.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Latest update: $5820 deposit paid for engine ordered from Jasper engines last Thursday, and yesterday Tuesday 17th, borrowed a truck and headed back home to Alberta (5hrs door to door) rather than spend potentially 10 nights in a hotel/eating out, waiting removal, reinstall etc of engine.

The second engine put in in 2013 from arrival being towed in at Pocatello to leaving was exactly a week, but this company today, says that it's a week for engine to arrive and another to remove and reinstall various components and replacement engine. Admittedly I'm not convinced that most items were addressed when the previous engine replacement was done properly, but this company has said for sure they will replace external oil cooler and lines, discussed the MAS and I asked for transmission to be checked (says hard to do much in that regards!), as well brake pads whilst at it, just to try to avoid any further problems after we hopefully get back on the road again by hopefully weekend after the next one.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Another update before lunchtime was "Bad news, you need a new engine". Talking about 2 weeks we'll be stranded here now. Kindly agreed to put us in back lot until engine arrives and then we'll need to go in hotel for them to put her in workshop where we are not allowed to stay in until she's complete. So we are glad to be in our rig with all our creature comforts around us even in huge snowfall last night,

Luckily we have a full propane tank, and are very very conservative using our tanks/water etc. Pipes are still winterized as well fortunately, with this two day cold snap, as we initially intended on dewinterizing when nearer Mesquite and warmer weather.

So here we sit, hoping engine comes in earlier than the ETA, waiting for several inches that fell of snow yesterday to melt, looking at lots of trucks, semis, buses, school buses, Schwann vehicles all no doubt awaiting repair like us. Sigh ......

As hubby and I say "as long as we got each other" we handle whatever life throws at us. And as long as I've got awesome folks like you guys with your advice and feedback it sure helps a ton.

So, any advice on specific things I should be asking get checked or done, to try to ensure a stress free trip the rest of the journey once we get out of here? I mentioned I want to be sure nothing can go wrong with the transmission, but was told couldn't really test that until after engine is in so ...... Any tips on what major things should be checked before we eventually leave here is so very much appreciated.

FTW.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I know the feeling about being in strange area and not knowing who can help.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Time for day trip to take your mind off it as much as you can.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Just been told we need to get hotel for tonight as kindly gunna get us in now and try get us out of here tomorrow. Can't help it but me thinks there's more to this and it'll be longer but have to wait and see hopefully know by later today so if more parts needed can be ordered and not have the delay of the weekend on top but you know when you just get that feeling in your tummy that it's gunna be longer into mid next week plus. So very very much hope I'm wrong but .......

Thanks a mill everyone for your help with what to ask and where to go. All useful for the future as well. I log in excel lots of info over the years I've picked up from much more knowledgeable folks than I on these forums which been studying since the late 90's initially.

FTW, but not so sure some days LOL.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Well shucky darn! I hope you get the oil leak repaired in short order and get back on the road.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Bless your heart Richard, this is for sure info we need to keep a log of for future, as you will see why reading on!

As we all know we break down at some point or another. Alas, we only got from MM277 at Great Falls Montana to just south of Helena between MM 172 and 173, and although hubby had checked at a rest area (was closed at gate but we pulled in to check oil anyway), just prior and added more oil, within a very short period after there was a "jingling, like keys noise", so we are now towed back late here to Mechanix Unlimited in Great Falls, awaiting an outcome tomorrow hopefully. The AMA/AAA wanted to take us to Butte or Helena but no one could see us until mid to end late next week at the very very earliest. So here we sit, just hoping we don't get told we need another new engine. Already had one reconditioned put in at Pocatello in 2013.

Ho hum, the pain we pay (only 5.5hrs from home LOL), for the joy we get some of the times in this RVing lifestyle eh.

So far keeping the premise of "attitude is latitude" so must keep mine.

Midnight Sadie you certainly called that one. Just glad to be off the highway and back at the repair place right now. Alas we have little water as stayed winterized with the temperatures bad in AB when we left on Monday night (was going to get filled and antifreeze flushed out at Idaho Falls where temps higher before heading to Mesquite). Living on Strip Washes and desperate to get a shower somewhere tomorrow to do the old hair thing as well!). Dishes in sink afraid to use the carry on water we brought to wash them until after tomorrow when we can hopefully get some from inside as outside taps still turned off due to weather.

Enblethan, thanks for that tip. I will be sure to bring it up tomorrow with them. In the meantime anything else "being non mechanical minded" we should ask them to check to avoid any more issues/breakdowns after the fact is more than welcomed.

Have a great rest of the night folks.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Here's something to think about.
About a month ago I had my motorhome transmission rebuilt at Al's Transmission in El Centro,CA. About 60 miles west of Yuma.
I was very impressed with their quality service and PRICING!
The transmission performed flawlessly on the way back to KC,MO.
I spent my working career in the skilled trades and recognize quality when I see it.
I just called Al's and they said they could handle your engine oil leak. They have a lift that will lift your MH.
If you elect to try Al's, call in advance.

Al's Transmission Services
Transmission shop in El Centro, California
Address: 401 W Commercial Ave, El Centro, CA 92243
Hours: Open ? Closes 5PM
Phone: (760) 353-5785

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What caused the big leak?
Did anyone check for back pressure caused by crankcase valve being plugged?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just from what you said,check oil every 100 miles? I,d find a shop close to where you are for repairs . I don,t like being broke down on the road 50 miles from no where on the side of the road, he should know of a shop who can handle your repair best of luck ,be safe its the most important thing.