cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance on toad ?'s

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anything special i have to do like notify the insurance company that the vehicle will sometimes be towed behind my rv?
Proud father of a US Marine
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you are in fact towing a trailer, you should contact your insurance company to verify that you have a rider covering the operation.
A toad itself is or should be covered by it's insurance, but the MH insurance must have towing of a toad or trailer listed in the riders.
Confusing, yes, it can be depending on individuals insurance.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
klutchdust: you wrote "Towing a trailer is the same with any insurance company I have ever had, as long as it was hooked to my vehicle it was insured"

If your vehicle is insured enough to be driven down the road why would you need any additional insurance? Towing a trailer is the same with any insurance company I have ever had, as long as it was hooked to my vehicle it was insured. Rental car insurance the same thing, I deny coverage as I am covered. period.

Ok, Ill break this down for you so even you can understand.

The topic is "Insurance on toads" Correct? The response from me was directed at that by saying
:If your vehicle is insured enough to be driven down the road why would you need any additional insurance?
To you I ask: Do you drive a trailer down the road, no. The poster is driving their TOAD down the road.

Second comment by me references a trailer and I should have been clearer on the definition of a trailer or specifically what kind of trailer. Fact: ANY trailer connected to my tow vehicle whether it be my pick-up, my Jeep or my motorhome is insured when I tow it. IF I were to move a persons trailer for them to a campground, from a campground or near a campground it would be insured by my carrier. Should I rent a trailer to move my vehicle, take a load to the dump or haul a refrigerator that trailer is insured under my policy.

:S :? :R clear as mud, huh....

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
klutchdust: you wrote "Towing a trailer is the same with any insurance company I have ever had, as long as it was hooked to my vehicle it was insured"

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Towed motor vehicles are not trailers!

Who said they were.

" falls in your fire pit? Do you have liability insurance that will cover you?"

Not my fire pit, it's the campgrounds.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Towed motor vehicles are not trailers!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Klutchdust,

What coverage do you have when the trailer is parked and not connected to the tv? What happens if someone trips and falls getting out of it or falls in your fire pit? Do you have liability insurance that will cover you? How about all the personal property inside the trailer? What happens if it burns? All questions to ask your agent.

Keith Director - Good Sam Insurance Agency

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your vehicle is insured enough to be driven down the road why would you need any additional insurance? Towing a trailer is the same with any insurance company I have ever had, as long as it was hooked to my vehicle it was insured. Rental car insurance the same thing, I deny coverage as I am covered. period.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure you have comprehensive and collision coverage on the toad as well, as the collision coverage of the motorhome may not cover some situations, e.g. a toad that's becomes disconnected, or otherwise damaged when the motorhome wasn't involved (say an uninsured motorist hits the toad only). The comprehensive coverage would protect against things like brakes dragging on the toad, causing damage. Also, some collision policies (Allstate) exclude towed vehicles in their collision coverage.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Ask about the tow bar. How is that covered? If not in use and it is stolen is it covered under the homeowners policy as personal property or under the RV/auto policy?

Keith

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I asked my insurance and they said I was covered.
It would not hurt to ask!
Make sure your MH is covered towing a vehicle or trailer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we didnโ€™t.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle