cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EMS-HW50C Hardwired EMS-HW50C Surge & Electrical Protector

WeXtheUS
Explorer
Explorer
Who has and is using this hardwired electrical protector from Progressive Industries? Curious of any problems with it failing and not getting power to the RV. My understanding is if this unit fails, you won't be getting shore power to the RV. I'm sure this had been brought up numerous times in the past. Are there any easy work arounds to this issue?
18 REPLIES 18

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Not quite applicable as mine is the 30A portable, but I thought mine had failed as I wasn't getting any voltage after the display cycled when first plugged in. I then noticed that if I left it plugged in for a while a little LED in the bottom right hand of the display would stop flashing and I then got voltage inside the coach and I was still protected.
This wasn't mentioned when I called tech support, they just said they'd send me a new one until they found out I wasn't the original buyer.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
edatlanta wrote:

Originally I had two PT50C's (original design). The first one that had a problem saved me from a surge or something and one leg died in September 2016. I put my spare in service and sent the bad one back. They replaced it with the new design PT50X. In March 2017 my other original PT50C got wet from a major rain storm and it was replaced under warranty with the PT50X also. This was blowing rain not submerged so the new design with the cover is a nice addition.

I have been using my first PT50X since and it is working great. But I still have a spare one.

That's good news. Maybe I will reconsider the portable. Biggest complaint about the weather cover is that, if you have a handle on your shore cord, the cover won't close.

Lyle

It won't close completely, but it covers a whole lot better than the original which had no cover. This only an issue for me if I have to use my 50A extension which I have had to use only 1 time.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
edatlanta wrote:

Originally I had two PT50C's (original design). The first one that had a problem saved me from a surge or something and one leg died in September 2016. I put my spare in service and sent the bad one back. They replaced it with the new design PT50X. In March 2017 my other original PT50C got wet from a major rain storm and it was replaced under warranty with the PT50X also. This was blowing rain not submerged so the new design with the cover is a nice addition.

I have been using my first PT50X since and it is working great. But I still have a spare one.

That's good news. Maybe I will reconsider the portable. Biggest complaint about the weather cover is that, if you have a handle on your shore cord, the cover won't close.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
time2roll wrote:
If the EMS completely fails just remove it. Just 4 wires to move or twist on some large wire nuts to bypass. Mine (30 amp hardwired)is working fine for a decade.

When my PT50X portable fails after taking a hit or other reason, I just unplug it and plug in my spare. Yes, I have 2 of them. Worth every cent they cost. While the dead one is going back for service I'm still protected. This has happened 4 times over the past 8 years of full time use.

i'm glad to see somebody other than me carries a spare - so many shoddy electrical systems in campgrounds, good to have piece of mind.

From my recent reading, the new versions of the portable unit are not getting stellar reviews. 2 biggest complaints are the incompatibility of the weather cover and today's large cords, especially 50a, and the weather-tightness of the unit, which has caused failures and they seem to not be wanting to warrant them without hassles. I plan on a hard-wired unit because of this.

Lyle

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
time2roll wrote:
If the EMS completely fails just remove it. Just 4 wires to move or twist on some large wire nuts to bypass. Mine (30 amp hardwired)is working fine for a decade.

When my PT50X portable fails after taking a hit or other reason, I just unplug it and plug in my spare. Yes, I have 2 of them. Worth every cent they cost. While the dead one is going back for service I'm still protected. This has happened 4 times over the past 8 years of full time use.

i'm glad to see somebody other than me carries a spare - so many shoddy electrical systems in campgrounds, good to have piece of mind.

You are the only one I have ever run into that had a spare besides me. My comment about mine is "I will NEVER EVER plug in anywhere without my PT50X". I even had a high voltage issue at my home base site at one point - Failing power company transformer. The lineman that came out wanted to know what I was using to determine high voltage. After he looked he said he was going to order a PT50 himself for his RV.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Have had one over ten years see my post here
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
time2roll wrote:

I have not found any in the last 17 years, nor from '82 to 84. And yes I have been out of my home area.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
alexleblanc wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
time2roll wrote:

From my recent reading, the new versions of the portable unit are not getting stellar reviews. 2 biggest complaints are the incompatibility of the weather cover and today's large cords, especially 50a, and the weather-tightness of the unit, which has caused failures and they seem to not be wanting to warrant them without hassles. I plan on a hard-wired unit because of this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve had low voltage detected twice. Checked the pedalstal with my multimeter to confirm it, then changed the fridge to gas only, shut off the AC and only used the 110 ac I was willing to have damaged
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

WeXtheUS
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your time and response. I'll put one on order.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
time2roll wrote:

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I have one in our 5ver for four years now and I have been very happy with the unit. it has shut down the incoming power twice because of low voltage. True that it was warm at the time because we could not have AC without power but that is the point of having the surge protector, it protected our air conditioning unit from low voltage.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Very pleased with mine. The only time that I bypass the unit is when im running my Honda 2000 to power the rig. Biggest challenge of install was bending the heavy gauge wires into their spots inside the unit through the ferrules.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)