cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you swap 205s for 215s ?

nasadave
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I've just bought a "new to me" used 2017 camper. The tires are year old Rainier ST (205/75r14). On my old camper I am about to sell, I put new tires on it last year Hercules Power STR (215/75r14). So the tires are the same age.

I know that the 215s will give me like 1/2 an inch height.. and they have slightly higher weight capacity. So would you go through the hassle of swapping around 8 tires or just let it be? Any comments on Rainier vs Hercules?

P.S. I went from a 25' to a 29' and I'm thinking of ways to increase my rear clearance. 1/2 a inch aint much, but if I had other reasons to swap them then I might do it.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
I had put Hercules tires on my last travel trailer and never had a problem with them and the price was right.

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
If one has available space inside the vender cavity area, then YES. Do the +1 tire upgrade. Especially if the larger tire size has better weight support numbers. If wondering, I "up size" my trailer's axles, leaf spring packs and tire (rubber) all the time. Never had problems with my "up sized" upgrades. Especially across double railway tracks and seen "too late" deep pot holes.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possible fitment issues aside, always go for tires with a higher load capacity rating. Higher reserve load capacity will reduce the risk of a blowout due to a reduction in internal heat buildup (heat is what kills ST tires).

I'd suggest the Endurance tires also. Load/inflation info. here.They have a higher load rating for the same load rating designation and also a higher sidewall max. psi rating. The 205 and 215 widths are both LRD. Both are rated 65 psi. The 205/14 is rated for 2040 lbs and the 215/14 is 2200 lbs (at 65 psi). If you don't know the max ratings of your rims, you could run the tires at 50 psi and get the LRC load capacity rating that you'd have now.

IMO, wider tires and higher pressure will give you better handling for sway and twisty roads at speed.

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
If there is physical space for +1 larger size tires, then do it.

Remember that many trailer makers install "at minimum" parts. Anything more means less profits out of their pockets. Thus, always upgrade to +1 larger tire size (even if only wider size on same rim size).

If wondering, I do +1 up size tires with all my store bought trailers - including boat and utility trailers. Never had a problem up-sizing them.

This works for me...

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
nasadave wrote:
Hmmm, you are right, I was looking at tire height. 1/4 an inch really seems insignificant now. I guess my idea of gaining more clearance and gbopp's agreement might be void now.

I was thinking about clearance to avoid dragging the rear frame or bumper. An extra 1/2" would be worth it to me. If you're concerned about the axle clearing tree stumps and other solid objects, 1/4" is probably not worth switching tires.

But since the trailer is connected to the axle, and you are only raising the axle 1/4", that's all you would gain on the trailer frame or bumper as well.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
nasadave wrote:
Hmmm, you are right, I was looking at tire height. 1/4 an inch really seems insignificant now. I guess my idea of gaining more clearance and gbopp's agreement might be void now.

I was thinking about clearance to avoid dragging the rear frame or bumper. An extra 1/2" would be worth it to me. If you're concerned about the axle clearing tree stumps and other solid objects, 1/4" is probably not worth switching tires.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
nasadave wrote:
Any comments on Rainier vs Hercules?
I only recommend Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle Radial Trail HD as both are speed rated 80+ mph.
In your case I would go Goodyear 215 load range D. Possibly 205 on the smaller trailer.

nasadave
Explorer
Explorer
Bob E. wrote:
You will gain about 1/2" of tire height, but only about 1/4" of axle height.

Bob E. wrote:

What are the ages and condition of the rims?

Rims are in good shape on both. The older camper is 15 yrs old this year, so a little rust here and there. They are painted white, vs the new ones are grey.

Bob E. wrote:
shorting the guy buying your old trailer who would be buying a trailer with the wrong tire size and possibly substandard weight rating depending on how close it is.

I believe it had 205s when I bought it. Plus the old camper is 500 lbs lighter dry than the new one. So I don't really have concerns there. I don't know that whoever buys it one day would mind, they might like the change.

I just wandered if I was making a blunder not swapping them. Sounds like from the comments so far that it is 6 of these vs 1/2 dozen the other.

TxTwoSome - I looked up the load rating, 1760 vs 1870. So 110 per tire X 4 = 440 lbs more capability. The old trailer is 4100 and the new is 4700, so we are well in the range on either tire. But if the tires were all already laying in a pile right now, I'd probably put the 215s on the new heavier trailer and the 205s on the old. I'm believe I might be lazy or procrastinating now ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the comments folks, they are helpful.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Myself I would make the switch if the 215's have a higher load rating plus you know all the history of those tires.

You never know how they were treated or where they have been on the other trailer.

I made the switch from 205 to 215 on mine and there were no problems with clearance.

Just my two cents.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
You will gain about 1/2" of tire height, but only about 1/4" of axle height. And you will lose about 1/4" of clearance at the top of the tire and about 1/2" between the tires. But that only matters if your clearances are tight.

What are the ages and condition of the rims? Unless you plan to dismount and re-mount all of the tires, you would be giving away the newer rims.

Given the tires are the same age, I probably wouldn't bother. Yeah...you might be gaining a little on the weight capacity, but you are shorting the guy buying your old trailer who would be buying a trailer with the wrong tire size and possibly substandard weight rating depending on how close it is. I'd run the tires you have and then upgrade them when it is time to replace them if you want. But that's just me.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can't comment on the quality of the tires. However, if you want to raise your clearance I think switching tires a good idea that really won't cost anything except for a little labor.
I agree, 1/2 inch is not much but sometimes that half inch can make a difference.
I know there are times in our Southwind I wish I had an extra 1/2 inch clearance.