cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PULLRITE SLIDER HITCH MAINTENANCE

navajochief
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Pullrite 18K ISR installed on my rig. My question is what do you guys use that is effective and safe to remove old material from the way tubes? The way tubes on my hitch are pretty gunky after having massive sand storms pass through my area leaving them with dirt, grime and a thick layer of slimy contaminated WD 40. Can I use engine degreaser or simple elbow grease with soap and water?
'05 F350 SRW 6.0, FX 4x4 CC/SB 4.5" Donahoe Racing Lift, Dick Cepek Fun Country 35" tires, Helo 18" Wheels, Dieselsite Coolant filter with ELC, OEM 4.30 gears, Air lift 5k bags, Pullrite 18K ISR Superglide hitch, Edge CTS monitor.
2016 Keystone Fuzion 325
10 REPLIES 10

Jerry_and_Glori
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same hitch.All do is spray with a heavy coat of WD 40 then wipe it off then spray again if needed.It will look like new
2015 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4
2010 Everest 345S

WeBRVing
Explorer
Explorer
To clean the way tubes I use carb spray on a rag, then toss the rag in the trash. WD40 to lube the tubes and pivot pin per the manual guidelines. Wipe up the bed under the pivot occasionally. Working fine so far.:)
Ram 2500 4x4 CTD
Cedar Creek 31RK

Y-Guy
JIMNLIN wrote:
I would check with Pullrite as they have indicated lube types and maintenance depends on year models.

I will add that if you don't follow their recommendations they may not warranty their product too. Been there done that. When I bought mine they recommended using a silicone lubricant (goop) as I recall now, but some where along the way they switched to Slip Plate. Of course there was not official correspondence about that, just in their newsletter. Long story, but follow their recommendation on what to use.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would check with Pullrite as they have indicated lube types and maintenance depends on year models.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the old style. When I switched from grease to Slip Plate I removed and disassembled the hitch and spryed it with Gunk engine degreaser down at the self serve car wash. Then of course used the sprayer to clean it up. Followed up with fine sand paper (sanding block) to smooth some rough edges on the way tubes followed with Brake Clean to remove any remaining residue.

I use graphite spray on my old Pullrite but consider using something besides spray WD-40 to avoid overspray and the related mess. Some other light oil should be fine such as 3n1 applied with a rag. Hitch cover between use may also help.

navajochief
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ALL for the advice. I have an idea on what to do now. I wanted to make sure the way tubes were same to be scraped by something like a SOS pad or something similar. Thanks again.

M
'05 F350 SRW 6.0, FX 4x4 CC/SB 4.5" Donahoe Racing Lift, Dick Cepek Fun Country 35" tires, Helo 18" Wheels, Dieselsite Coolant filter with ELC, OEM 4.30 gears, Air lift 5k bags, Pullrite 18K ISR Superglide hitch, Edge CTS monitor.
2016 Keystone Fuzion 325

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve only had ours for a few months, wonderful hitch. We try to keep it covered, wether in or out of truck bed. As far as previous post, we bought a harbor freight 2 ton shop crane that works great for saving backs. Another option would be 1/2 ton truck crane that folds out of the way under the bed rail
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
I had one of these. It was a very good hitch and worked as designed. But the weight taking it out and the mess it left in my bed while using it got to me and went with the Andersen. The only way to really clean it is to disassemble the whole thing and clean it with degreaser. This was very necessary after a week at the beach. I put rags under the way tubes when I oiled them to try and keep the mess to a minimum. If you end up causing galling on the way tubes from the sand you can just flip them over and start over with new.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is removed every year, comes apart easy. prior to putting it back into the bed in spring, spray with degreaser, clean way tubes with Brillo pad. Wipe everything down with W-D40, and re-install in the truck bed. Spray way tubes after assembly, work head up & down the tubes a few times, re check all bolts, your good to go.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Spray degreaser and stiff bristle parts cleaning brush then power wash everything followed with relube. I have removed the roller and greased it.

Early on I had disassembled everything and made sheet metal shims that go behind the plastic wear blocks to take out some of the slop.