Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing in high winds?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I’m assuming the heavier the better?
Our Pioneer RL250 have s GVWR of 6900 lbs.

But that being said, we are enjoying at least tonight in Green River state park in Utah.
The winds were getting pretty serious & we could feel the trailer pushing us around a bit & we were slowed down to 45 mph with the flashers on.

& then I see the fwy warning sign lit up warning of 50 mph cross winds!
So being I wanted to get fuel anyways I pulled into the Pilot Fuel station & fueled up & spoke with s couple truckers about the winds I’m heading into?

& well as I said I’m sitting in a beautiful campground right on the northern Colorado river & I disconnected the trail & we went into town to get a couple things & was told by the cashier that well in you have a car or truck & I said yes, that’s my truck right there.

& she started telling me it’s a beautiful drive on the other side of the Fwy a little way & how amazing the Crystal Geiser is.

So we are sorta stuck stuck here for a while, but what a beautiful place to be stuck.
Could be worse.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
21 REPLIES 21

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
RockDodger wrote:
It's never a good idea to fight the wind. You will lose every time.:R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJRD1VkxmI

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
It's never a good idea to fight the wind. You will lose every time.:R
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I did see how most of New Mexico surrounding Albuquerque was also suffering extreme winds.

I didn’t know about Casa Grade , we were just at Pichaco Peak Camping about 2 weeks ago & it was pretty windy then.
With '85 Lance.

Midnightpumpkin
Explorer
Explorer
We are sitting out the high winds, gusts to 50+mph here in Bernalillo, NM. Not a bad spot to wait it out Sandia Mountains to our East and Albuquerque 15 minutes to the South.

It is not worth taking a chance under these conditions. The news last night reported I-10 was closed in both directions on 4/12/18 due to high winds and blowing dust near Casa Grande AZ

This wind seems to be all over the West.

John U
Midnight pumpkin

2014 Silverado 2500 Crew cab, regular bed, 4:10 gears, 6 spd, 6.0L Gas
Integrated Brake Controler
Reese Dual Cam HP

2007 Rockwood 8315SS Travel Trailer
Loaded Weights:
Trailer Axles 6640#, Hitch Wt 920#
Combined Gross Wt, no passengers, 13,855#

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
We once towed our 29' TT from Spokane to Seattle on the I-90 (which is many miles of open grassland). The winds were gusting around 40+ mph and it felt like I was driving on marbles,

LOL!
That’s a funny visual!

I suppose pop up & even Air Streams have less of a Wall to push on than my Pioneer RL250.

I can’t get the memory of this flipped over & completely destroyed TT I once saw on the I10 fwy passing through Palm Springs while driving at about 35 mph myself in my Truck Camper.

I’m not sure if it’s more noticeable in a TC than a TT?
The TC is taller & feels more tilty than my truck pulling the trailer does.
With '85 Lance.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We once towed our 29' TT from Spokane to Seattle on the I-90 (which is many miles of open grassland). The winds were gusting around 40+ mph and it felt like I was driving on marbles, even though I had slowed waay down. Pulled into a rest stop and a trucker told us that even the big semis pull over in those high winds. Eventually made it to the CG and a fellow camper who travels the I-90 often has seen FWs blown clear over.

Not worth the risk and you need to pull over. Doesn't matter what speed you're going, strong gusting side winds can push you over due to the area of sidewall of your TT. Winds often pick up during the daytime and die down in the evening due to thermal updrafts caused by sunshine. Could try planning on towing just in mornings, taking a break during the day, and then heading out again in the evening when the winds have died down.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
With '85 Lance.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing big trailers or hauling a TC can be like going to sea in the wind. It is a lot of work. Better to find a snug harbor and hove to if you can. In Wyoming we used to use an anchor chain for a wind gauge.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, we were in Arizona and there was a truck camper, a motorhome, and a travel trailer in front of us; They were all over the road. My wife asked me if I thought that they all could be drunk. They couldn't stay in their lane. Our set-up moved about 2"s from side to side. We stopped at a rest stop and when we got out of our tow vehicle, we were almost blown off of our feet. WOW, it was really windy. It's not how heavy your trailer is but more like the size and shape of your trailer/RV.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these video's look a little phoney truck blows over on top of cruiser and trafic keeps driving by and no one even slows down to try and help

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I can't remember what year it was but a family from Richland Washington got their MH blown off the freeway in utah and killed all but one 15 yr old boy

Wow!
So sad to hear about stories like that, on what was suppose to be fun family memories being established.
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I've got 12 tires on the ground and my rig does very well in the winds; it's very stable and under control. Friend of mine (18 wheel driver) says the semi's blowing over are either empty or lightly loaded.

I have many years under my belt of driving big rigs & would agree somewhat with that comment & why I mentioned it’s weight, the wife is fearless & I kept telling her those trucks weight up to 80k lbs!

And hardly feel it compared to us.

I’ve towed an extremely wide range of thing over the years & yet not much in the winds.
I’m just very happy I’m not working needing get stuff through being I’m basically a freelance driver now & have the freedom to take a few extra days getting back home to work if I want to.
With '85 Lance.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember what year it was but a family from Richland Washington got their MH blown off the freeway in utah and killed all but one 15 yr old boy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Good call, park it. Enjoy your campsite tonight.