cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing 9,000 lb camper 13 hours

georgialawn88
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, there. I'm new to this site. just found it. I have a 2 door 3 seater f250. I tow my palomino puma with that truck. I am looking to upgrade the truck to 4 door just so I can carry the family camping and not drive 2 vehicles. Im deciding on gas or diesel. for short trips its no big deal driving 2 cars. but I want to go to key west which is 13 hours from me. id like to stay with a gas just because I'm used to it and its cheaper. This truck will be used for my every day business as well. i turn off and on the truck 25-30 times a day. My question is does this weight for a bumper pull put too much strain on the gas engine with 6 people in the truck? would you stick with gas or swap to diesel? will starting and stopping a diesel motor 30 times a day 5 days a week hurt it? I appreciate all info. I need all the answers I can get as this is going to be a big decision for me. thanks y'all!!! happy camping
22 REPLIES 22

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought but have you thought about a 3/4 ton SUV or Van? With that many kids i would want to ride in comfort. Personally I have a 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1 and I tow a 9000 lb TT. It does it just fine and is super cheap and easy to work on. You just have to make the decision to buy a really expensive diesel or a cheap gasser and be prepared to pay some money in fuel.

needgas__
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar, though not quite as heavy Puma, weighs in about 8000lbs loaded. Family of five have been towed many many miles with a gas Ram 2500 quad and crew cab. Get the lowest (Numerically higher) gears offered and you will be fine. Switched to a half ton for a while, big mistake, was fine on calm days, plenty of power but a little wind and it was like pulling in mud.
Me & Her
3 of them
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab/hemi/4.10
Reese Dual Cam HP
2004 Puma 30DBSS

bluepost
Explorer
Explorer
On a newer 3/4 ton truck the gasser will have about 700 lbs more available payload. For a ford that means about 2200-2400 for a diesel and around 3000 for a gasser. Looks like you will have about a 1100 lb tongue weight.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I like a diesel...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
georgialawn88 wrote:
Hello, there. I'm new to this site. just found it. I have a 2 door 3 seater f250. I tow my palomino puma with that truck. I am looking to upgrade the truck to 4 door just so I can carry the family camping and not drive 2 vehicles. Im deciding on gas or diesel. for short trips its no big deal driving 2 cars. but I want to go to key west which is 13 hours from me. id like to stay with a gas just because I'm used to it and its cheaper. This truck will be used for my every day business as well. i turn off and on the truck 25-30 times a day. My question is does this weight for a bumper pull put too much strain on the gas engine with 6 people in the truck? would you stick with gas or swap to diesel? will starting and stopping a diesel motor 30 times a day 5 days a week hurt it? I appreciate all info. I need all the answers I can get as this is going to be a big decision for me. thanks y'all!!! happy camping
Welcome!

Thirteen hours drive time from Key West?! Lucky you! Takes us 43 hours of drive time to make our annual trek to Key West 😞

As long as you purchase a 3/4 - 1-ton gasser with the lowest rear end ratio available (highest numerically) you won't "strain" it. If you tow with a high rear end ratio (low numerically) expect a dramatically lower tow rating capacity and lots of "strain" (i.e. tranny issues).

Do you drive at at highway speeds for at least 15-30 minutes several times a month? If not, definitely don't go with a late-model, DEF equipped diesel. They have to have time and opportunity to finish those regenerations. Otherwise, expect potentially expensive emission issues.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Having had both gas and diesel I would completely recommend diesel.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
F-150 with HD payload and HD tow package with v-6 eco boost.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If I was spending your money, I'd get the diesel. If I was spending my money, I'd get the gasser. Since you own a business, check the pricing and licensing on the F350, also. The F350 sells used for much more than the F250 if resale is important to you.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would add, don't get 4WD unless you absolutely need it. They're 5 or 6" higher off the ground and a pain to get in/out of the cab (dogs included) and the bed. The extra weight of the drivetrain reduces payload capacity somewhat and is more maintenance. Our F250 is 4x4 and I really wish we didn't have it. Have never needed it except for the one time I got stuck in soft ground in our field.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ppine wrote:
Buy a diesel and don't look back.
I would not trade my 2002 Ford for a new Toyota.

X2
Sounds like you want to do fairly regular major towing.
If you get a chance to compare the 2 while towing the decision is very clear.
Exhaust break is the deal breaker for getting a gasser. Gassers do not come with exhaust brakes.
You can buy the right truck first or you can play the upgrade game and buy the right truck the 2nd time around.
Experience has taught me it always cost more to get it right the 2nd time
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a diesel and don't look back.
I would not trade my 2002 Ford for a new Toyota.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
this past october i bought a 2017 f250 crewcab with the 6.2 gasser and 3.73 gears. it was an upgrade from my 2000 f150 5.4 gasser that i still drive daily. our tt is about 7500lbs loaded to camp. i couldn't be happier with the towing. just clicked 7k miles on it with probably 5k towing. we have had 2 hour trips up to 6 hours so far with it. mountains to the coast. with weights up to and above 9000lbs i would want the 4.30 rear end. with our tt weight the 3.73 has no problems. its nice to be going up a steep grade and actually accelerate if needed.

georgialawn88
Explorer
Explorer
The 13 hour trip is a 1 time thing but there will be several 6 hour trips a year. Thanks for response guys and giving good advice

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum, lots info here. The answer to your question is in the weight of all you carry. Every truck has a max cargo capacity as well as max towing capacity.

You will usually run out of cargo capacity first. You need to know the weight of family, toys, camp gear, and all the misc. stuff that get tossed into the vehicles when you are on the road. Then you can add the loaded trailer tongue weight. You are the only one that knows what your family cannot live without.

You are going to be spending big bucks for a new tow vehicle, so a guess will not do. You need an accurate weight and that means the CAT scales.

CAT scales give you an accurate weight on each axle.

Since you usually drive two vehicles. On you next trip, stop by the scales and weight your rig. Next weight the second car, empty people and stuff out of the car and weighs the car empty.

That weight difference is going to be added to your new truck.

All of the is a real pain to do, or you can guess weights and take you chances like most folks. Unfortunately guesses are rarely correct.

As for gassers or diesels it is mostly personal preference. I would not own a diesel but my neighbor loves them. He even ordered his zero turn lawn mower with a diesel engine.

I live where it gets very cold sometimes. Admittedly diesels have come a long way in recent years, still I want minimal hassle and expense when it comes to my vehicles.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.