cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our spring break trip to the central coast

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a week on the central coast. Our first stop was suppose to be Jalama beach but Vandenberg decided to launch something in the middle of our scheduled dates so we cancelled that out. We were all looking forward to jalama beach too! ๐Ÿ˜ž on to the next CG. Montana De Oro CG. We have never stayed here so we didnโ€™t know what to expect.

Camp all setup at Montana De Oro. This is a primitive CG with a max trailer length of 26โ€™ but we saw a couple of rigs that were easily 30โ€™, just have to get the right Site #. This CG quickly became one of our Favorites, I donโ€™t know why it took us so long to book it!

Below the CG thereโ€™s a Beach parking restrooms etc. was busy with a lot of day use. I jumped on my board with my daughter to check things out, turned the corner of rocky point and found this empty beach. ๐Ÿ™‚

She did all the paddling while I enjoyed the ride.

We enjoyed the peace and quiet for a bit

This place offers beautiful trails for Hiking, mountain biking, fishing or a casual stroll along the bluffs.

Some pics from an easy walk along the bluff

Below is the beach we paddled to.

When you exit the CG if you make a Left you will run into point Buchon trail thatโ€™s managed By PG&E. We didnโ€™t hike it but itโ€™s easy accessible.

Theres a creek that runs parallel with the CG. At the End of the CG there is a hiking trail thats about a mile long. Easy trail that will take you to Islay creek. If you exit the CG and head up the road you can Bike to islay creek.

Biking to islay creek to see what itโ€™s about

Itโ€™s a easy flat ride

Then we hiked it - easy walk

Hey we made it!

This area quickly became one of our Favs. we did a lil hiking, biking,fishing,paddling and casual sunset walks. This place was exactly what we needed to clear the brain.

Next stop is not far, Morro Bay. This time we couldnโ€™t get a spot at the MBSP . I did mange a spot are Morro strand beach. This CG isnโ€™t too exciting, itโ€™s basically a parking lot. They do offer full hook ups. Did a lil surf fishing and rode our bikes down to Embarcadero.

Thereโ€™s a bike path to take you down to Embarcadero, but if you cut behind the high school you will pop out next to Morro dunes RV ๐Ÿ™‚

Short cut ๐Ÿ™‚

Morro bays my favorite place to hang out

As many times as we been to MB we never been to Cayucos. We finally went to check it out. We loved this place, lots of antique shopping which we all love. We ended buying our neighbors some stuff :).

Strolling Cayucos

Shot from the pier

We stayed 2 nights In MB - time to head home. As we were driving through SLO I decided letโ€™s just go eat lunch at Jalama, if thereโ€™s a spot open even for one night weโ€™ll just stay.

We get to the gate and I ask if there is any spots available? Ranger says yes how many nights ? We are all like whhhhhhat! 2 nights please. He gives me a list of about 20 available sites. We immediately shoot to the top to get this view. ๐Ÿ™‚ we couldnโ€™t believe there was so many open sites, especially during
Spring break.

Coming down into Jalama beach. 15miles of windy road off HWY 1

After setting up Camp we head down for the Famous jalama burger. Iโ€™m big on Stand up paddle boarding so it was a real bonus to have this magazine / burger combo.

Was

Perfect way to end our trip.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
22 REPLIES 22

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
CObroker wrote:
very nice pics and description of your trip! looks like great times. thanks

Hey Thanks. I like to post a lil info of the area, maybe it will help someone else out.

CObroker
Explorer
Explorer
very nice pics and description of your trip! looks like great times. thanks
2017 Ram 3500 SRW w/Aisin
2017 Keystone Carbon 364
2 2017 Suzuki RMX450z bikes
2 Santa Cruz 5010 mtn bikes
2 cats...

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Hey thanks guys. We love our TH and our family trips. Just not when itโ€™s time to load and unload. We donโ€™t get along to well ๐Ÿ™‚

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
you always have great picture posts!!! thanks for sharing!

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great, and brings back lots of memories! I grew up in Visalia so Central Coast trips were a regular thing for me growing up, both for camping and staying in rental homes, and then later in high school lots of trips to the Pismo Dunes. Your kids will remember these trips for the rest of their lives!
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Wow. What a trip.

Montaรฑa de Oro used to baffle me as a kid. The rolling road from Los Osos through those eucalyptus felt like it was all uphill to me, like we were driving up into the mountains. But how the heck did they get a beach up in the mountains?

Kid logic.

Was pretty cool driving through. Wish I came here sooner!

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
This is what a trip report ought to be. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. I try to add some useful info for others who never been.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
I've not been into Montan de Oro for 40 years. very secluded

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us, very jealous. You are really USING a toy hauler for all it's intentions. Kudos to you and your wife for creating such great memories for your kids. They will thank you as adults and you will treasure these memories

We too have tried numerous times to go to Jalama. Been there twice without the trailer, once for a burger, yummy.

Thanks Don. We definitely love the TH life.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Nunyadamn wrote:
You are in one of my favorite places. We stayed at Jalama for a couple weeks a few years ago. Possibly in the same site you were in (site 9 or 10 I think). I have wanted to stay as Islay for years but my trailer is 35ft. I have thought about just taking the chance - I have fit at other places that say they are short. Great pictures. Thanks for making me jealous while I am at work. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You can always book two sites ๐Ÿ™‚

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
jackxclan wrote:
Looks like a fun week morro bay and cuyucas are our getaway spots now .
yup! Cayucos definitely! No crowds small beach town is perfect.

jackxclan
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a fun week morro bay and cuyucas are our getaway spots now .

graphite 2018 2500 long bed duramax
blue 06 Ragen fa 3405 800 watt 4 channel JL audio, 800 watt 1 channel orion mono block,6x9 mbQuart, 6.5 infinity and 10 inch kicker sub
red rzr 900

HOOLIGAN # 385

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
You are in one of my favorite places. We stayed at Jalama for a couple weeks a few years ago. Possibly in the same site you were in (site 9 or 10 I think). I have wanted to stay as Islay for years but my trailer is 35ft. I have thought about just taking the chance - I have fit at other places that say they are short. Great pictures. Thanks for making me jealous while I am at work. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
This is what a trip report ought to be. Thanks for sharing!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed