cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KZ Spree, 2007 opinions?

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
got a chance on a 2007 kz spree 260 rbs at a really good price to minor damage in the bottom of a side wall(small crack) that I can repair easily

opinions on this make would be appreciated
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
14 REPLIES 14

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
I guess im going learn how to adjust a slide out!!
bought it yesterday
2008 KZ Spree 260

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we finally got down to see it, and it has an issue or two, related to the slideout.
they towed the trailer some distance without installing the locking bars and as a result the sldeout has dropped about 1/2 inch at the back(lengthwise to the trailer) which is apparent when its open.
otherwise the trailer is immaculate and in great condtion, very low mileage going by the suspension system, some tire wear, but lots left and they are 2 years old, probably 1000 mles on them
im not afraid to fix anything, I just need to understand how the slide works, the electric mechanism is obvious, but what supports the weight of the slideout when its open?, the tt floor? wall bottom plate? other? it goes in and out perfectly and on the exterior appears in good alignment
2008 KZ Spree 260

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1993 model TT that I am still using. ( Not a K-Z though) If it has been well taken care of, looks good with no leakage etc, and it what you are looking for then I say go for it. But, it's your money.

djtkach
Explorer
Explorer
I'm adding to the Canadian content here....

We have an 08 290BHS and have had no major issues. Minor annoying stuff, like the drawer glides already mentioned, and some cosmetic stuff where they obviously finished the interior on the cheap, but it has served us well for 10 years. No delam, but it spends over half each year indoors so perhaps that has helped.
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2008 KZ Spree 290BHS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
half of us in this thread are Canadian! was this made in Canada?

K-Z is still located where they've always been in Shipshewana, Indiana.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:

Nope they where not! Indiana I think.

Generally speaking back then they where a very decent rig for the money.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
2008 KZ Spree 260

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Obviously water is the big enemy, but others have chimed in on that. Hereโ€™s a minor thing to check. We had a 2008 KZ Spree in which they used plastic brackets to support the drawer glides. They had a tendency to crack. I fixed leaks on ours in 4 different areas, so check it over carefully.

My '06 KZ Outdoorsman had the same. Not much to replace. Also had/have delamanation issues as well. For the most part a decent unit that has put up with a lot of ALL weather camping and survived. Will get to the wall issues when time permits. Not the end of the world like some would have you believe
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously water is the big enemy, but others have chimed in on that. Hereโ€™s a minor thing to check. We had a 2008 KZ Spree in which they used plastic brackets to support the drawer glides. They had a tendency to crack. I fixed leaks on ours in 4 different areas, so check it over carefully.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the tips, im an experienced do it youself type of guy, replaced rotted flooring in two trailers!! suspension and brake work doesn't scare me either but frame repair is out of the question unless the tt is basioally free
he's asking 8k Canadian which is pretty cheap for around here with 4 new tyres, of course new tyres can hide all kinds of issues with alignment
2008 KZ Spree 260

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 318BHS which has been a great trailer for the most part although now I have issues with a lot of delamination. I had a water leak in the roof a few years ago which was addressed and I re-caulked most of the roof but since then I've had additional delam in spots no where near where the original leak occurred. Other than that it's been a great trailer, 10 years old with 3 people and 2 dogs and I've never had any real issues with the rest of it. Looking for a new trailer and would consider another one if we found the layout we liked.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
KZ went through a lot of financial trouble in the last recession in the US (2007 and on?). They cut corners a lot to save money and stay afloat. I know someone with an '09 KZ TT who had plenty of issues.

2008 to ~ 2011, but no different than any other RV manufacturer. What was different is K-Z was one of those that survived when many didn't. I could also say I have a friend who owned a 2011 and had no issues at all with it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

myredracer wrote:
If the spring bushings have never been replaced, I guarantee they will be completely worn out and may have damaged the leaf springs & shackles.

Sure, but again no different than most other brands as most also use nylon bushings. Those on my own Spree were certainly shot after 5 yrs so I installed a Dexter wet bolt kit with metal bushings but that proved to be a waste as we sold the trailer not long after. :R This past winter I replaced the nylon bushings on our current Coachmen with Lippert Never Fail bushings which was a much less costly option. Never had any frame issues of any kind with ours. ๐Ÿ™‚

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX and used it quite a bit for 6 yrs, only eventually selling it when our boys no longer were camping with us. That was back when K-Z was a family owned business and K-Z was generally regarded as a better than average trailer which came with a 2 yr warranty. Nonetheless ours suffered noticeable de-lamination in several locations on the curb side but with no indication of any kind that it was due to water leakage I assumed it was due to adhesive that had failed. Otherwise it was a great unit and in retrospect we probably should have kept it even though we no longer needed bunk beds.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
KZ went through a lot of financial trouble in the last recession in the US (2007 and on?). They cut corners a lot to save money and stay afloat. I know someone with an '09 KZ TT who had plenty of issues. An '07 might predate that tho.

The frame is something I would look at VERY closely, especially around the spring hangers where they can develop fatigue cracks. They have the type of I-beam that is made from 3 pieces of 1/8" sheet steel welded together and look like a regular rolled I-beam. These frames flex a lot more. Also look for spring hangers bent to one side. I would HIGHLY recommend that you have a certified frame & axle shop inspect the frame because there can be issues that you won't be able to find. Frame flex can also cause failure in welds in the aluminum framing of the superstructure.

If the spring bushings have never been replaced, I guarantee they will be completely worn out and may have damaged the leaf springs & shackles. Our bushings were totally shot in just the 2K mile trip from Indiana to the dealer.

On any older TT, water intrusion is a major concern unless it has been regularly inspected and caulked as needed. Even if you have some experience with RVs, I would also highly recommend hiring an reputable RV tech to do an inspection. There's just so many things that can be a problem and you may not find all the important ones. Spending $200-300 now could save you thousands of $$ later.