cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FMCA Michelin tire program issues

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
This past January I bought 6 new tires in Oregon on the FMCA Michelin tire program. The price was cheaper than dealers, so I bit. I should have researched it further--my fault--because FMCA said labor was extra but I thought it wouldn't be that much to worry about. My error--I think--. I paid $540 extra to have them mounted and balanced. When that was added I may have paid too much. I've been afraid to check on it further because it was my fault. I'm curious if any of you have had a similar awakening on it.
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
41 REPLIES 41

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
I used to know the details of the FMCA program, but the last time I got motorhome tires was 2011, and my memory of the details is a little foggy these days. However, I remember that the Beaver or Monaco club inside FMCA had their own deal with Michelin, and the prices were about $50 a tire less than the regular Michelin program prices. It worked much as the Michelin program is described, you had to find a Michelin "National Accounts" dealer, which meant any tire dealer with a good truck tire business. The dealer quoted me a price after supply of the tires by Michelin, covering mounting and balancing and handling and I ordered the tires by phone from Michelin. Once the tires came in the dealer called and set up an appointment and I paid the add-on charge on completion, the charge from Michelin came on my next credit card statement. The tires were dated about 1 month before installation, almost as if they were made to order. All in all, I think I paid about what I would have paid in the US and was pleased with the whole thing.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Dennis. big load off my credit card.. Just the info I wanted.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
I have a question for the OP or anyone else who has used this program

Ok, so I register my Credit card with "M"

Let's say the tires are 400 each, 6*4 is 2400 dollars. plus mounting and balancing (50/tire). which we will ignore.

IS the initial "Hit" on my card the full 2400, or do I get the discount "Up front" and how big is the discount?????

1. You register your card with Michelin.
2. You contact the FMCA installer of your choice.
3. After installation, the installer sends invoice to Michelin.
4. Michelin bills off the submitted invoice.

Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
https://site.fmca.com/fmca-tire-program

"The tires will be billed to your card by the Michelin Corporate office.

Most dealers will charge you separately for installation and labor. Any fees for mounting, balancing, and tire disposal are quoted by the servicing dealer and are not discounted by the program.

You must also pay the state and local sales taxes that apply in the jurisdiction in which the tires are purchased."
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Let's say the tires are 400 each, 6*4 is 2400 dollars. plus mounting and balancing (50/tire). which we will ignore.

IS the initial "Hit" on my card the full 2400, or do I get the discount "Up front" and how big is the discount?????

You look at the tire price on te FMCA website. It gives the MSRP+FET and then the FMCA price plus FET. You will be charged the FMCA price +FET, all of it. So to answer your question, yes you get the discount up front

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
When purchasing tires, get an "out the door, all inclusive price"

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
Don't feel bad, I was just quoted $695.00 to mount, balance, dispose, nitrogen fill, buying the tire from a FMCA dealer. That was for 6 tires.

Dealer must be behind on his boat payments!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Don't feel bad, I was just quoted $695.00 to mount, balance, dispose, nitrogen fill, buying the tire from a FMCA dealer. That was for 6 tires.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simple, negotiate the 'value' of your old tires for the price of mounting, balancing etc. Only out of pocket expense to you then, is the price of the tires quoted from Michelin.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Its up to the buyer to negotiate the mount/balance/valve stems/disposal/etc with the selling dealer. The dealer sends that bill to Michelin and Michelin bills for the entire amount of the tires and the dealer charges.

I used their program and the dealer (It was done at the warehouse shop of the largest tire distributor in GA, lots of trucks and semis and such, and forklifts moving tires everywhere loading trucks for delivery) told me they see one or two MH a week under the program. I was also told the tires were being sold to me by Michelin for $10 per tire less than the distributors cost from Michelin for them. The cost to mount/etc was very fair.

Charles
Charles, did you compare prices between the WIT and FMCA programs? Maybe they are the same.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Its up to the buyer to negotiate the mount/balance/valve stems/disposal/etc with the selling dealer. The dealer sends that bill to Michelin and Michelin bills for the entire amount of the tires and the dealer charges.

I used their program and the dealer (It was done at the warehouse shop of the largest tire distributor in GA, lots of trucks and semis and such, and forklifts moving tires everywhere loading trucks for delivery) told me they see one or two MH a week under the program. I was also told the tires were being sold to me by Michelin for $10 per tire less than the distributors cost from Michelin for them. The cost to mount/etc was very fair.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bruce_Brown
^^^ I asked about used value and was **very** pleasantly surprised at how much the old tires were worth.

Then again, this is a place I had done business with in the past. A good local business who takes care of their customers. I like supporting local businesses when possible.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bruce Brown wrote:
Dennis is correct. The total amount of the check is all that matters.

We are currently camping and I found the invoice for the tires we bought 2 years ago. Mount & dismount was listed at $150.00. Balance (beads) was $60.00. We received a nice value for our old tires (locally there is a good market for these, farmers use them for field trailers), and the tires were priced right as well.

Bridgestone R250s, 11R22.5's, out the door after everything, I wrote a check for $1515.00 for 6 tires. THAT's why I always say check with your local guys. You just might find the deal of a lifetime.

Most people just give their old tires to the dealer and don't even argue when they see the tire disposal fee added to their bill.
I have never gotten new tires where I wasn't given some credit for my old tires (as long as they were still serviceable).
In most cases, all you have to do is ask. :B