cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

class B tire pressures

swsyko
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to RVing and recently acquired a Leisure Unity Class B Van.
I have been educating myself by reading blogs and searching on the internet for help. My question is this: Given that we have a Class B,
Is it still necessary to weigh our camper and adjust tie pressures accordingly OR should we just use the manufacturers recommendation of
61 psi on a 215 X 84 Continental tires? Thanks in advance for any advice.
12 REPLIES 12

sprintee
Explorer
Explorer
The best answer to the original question is yes. Many of our vans are loaded to within a few pounds of maximum. The safest way to set tire pressures is to do as Good Sam suggests. Find a truck scale and weigh each wheel. Find the tire pressure table online or in the owner's manual for the correct size and rating of the tire and use that as a guide. Under inflation destroys tires and sometimes more.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough, I love your post. I have read hundreds of postings on forums over the years about tire pressure and the various opinions. Me? I take the manufacturer's recommendations and then adjust them a little but, like you, I also use my eyes and make sure the tread meets the ground in a parallel fashion. One big caveat: don't exceed the max psi on the tire and on my E tires that is always 80 psi cold, which will go up to 85 on a long drive on a really hot SW day.

To each his own. You can take a straight edge and put across the tread and see if it is relatively even. Don't attempt to do this going down the road. 🙂 🙂
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We stick with Winnebago's recommendation for our B.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I say forget the specs. Due to no correct specs for tire pressure on my Dodge Ram 2500 with monstrous Arctic Fox truck camper on the bed and hugely overrated regroovable tires...

I found a better way. Just look at the tires'

Pump them up until the tire tread and crown are the right shape. That's it!! That's all you need to do.

If they are wearing on the edges and only rhe edges are making contact, put in more air until the middle of the tread makes contact too.

If they are wearing in the middle and the edges aren't making good contact, let some out. You are overinflated.

It's really that simple. There is nothing else to it except making sure never to exceed max pressure as labeled on the sidewall of the tire. And maybe if you go from the equator to the Arctic, note that the tire may need more air.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy is correct in using the manufacturer's recommended TP's, our Pleasure Way Excel had almost the same as I remember, but I only filled to 70 on the rears and 60 on the front for a little softer ride. We didn't load up the RV as much as it was capable of so I didn't go for the max; always figured that the maximum pressure printed on the tire casing was just that, the maximum and not particularly what was best for handling and comfort.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We have an LTV that actually is a Class B (van based) and LTV has a label inside the RV that gives their recommended tire pressure so I suspect your Unity also has one.

For ours, the recommended pressure is 65 front, 80 rear and we have followed that recommendation for 144K miles with no tire problems except they eventually wear out. 🙂
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
swsyko wrote:
We are new to RVing and recently acquired a Leisure Unity Class B Van.

Actually Leisure Travel no longer manufactures Class B rigs. The Unity, Serenity, Libero, and Wonder are all built on a cutaway chassis and are thus Class C rigs. (Class B must be built within the factory van)

I never had my Libero fully loaded so didn't bother to weigh it, and merely adjusted the air from the recommended to adjust the drive. But the Sprinters are the closest to being overweight.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
On my 1997 Xplorer 230XL on the Dodge 3500 chassis I run 60 psi in the front and 70 in the back with additional air in the rear air bags. The tires have 80 psi max.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don’t make this hard. Use what the manufacturer placard states. If it will make you feel better get it weighed with full fuel, water, passengers, and all the stuff you will take on the road. If you are overweight, take some stuff out.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you want the manufacturer’s warranty, follow the manufacturer’s guidance unless you are prepared to prove the manufacturer is wrong, you were right and the tire still failed...and you don’t want to try to do that.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Given that many / most of these class B's come from the factory already loaded down close to their GVWR I feel it is probably fairly safe to go with that for the tire inflation pressures. Though once you have it loaded down for travel I would certainly consider having it weighed if for no other reason than to make sure you are not over loaded.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you,ll love the LTV we have a freedom serenity II , I run what the side wall of the tires says. as they get hot they,ll gain a couple #. inlaw lives in tempe. I,n stuck here in ohio. take your B up to roosevelt lake park on the beach . my favorate camp.