cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Fiberglass Airstream "Nest" -- Yikes! "only" 45K!

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
... Linky Link...

Cute but pricey!
28 REPLIES 28

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
If it is made and budgeted by Thor forget quality.Think minimum for max dollars

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reminds me of a sibling. After she bought a new house, she showed me the new washer and dryer she bought. She's showing me all the "fancy" settings for every type of fabric you can imagine. She spent well over $1500 for the pair.

All I could think was "why would you spend all that money on all those fancy wash cycles when all you wear are scrubs, jeans, and tshirts????

In contrast, I bought the simplest pair that had good ratings at a lower mid range price. I wear many fabrics but have never found the need to separate my wash to that extent.

Who's choice was right? She'll says hers; I'll say mine.

There's a market for most everything sold. Heck they even sold rocks as pets...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Pride in ownership has little to do with pride in your ability to keep your gear in top shape. It is more aligned with status and bragging rights.

Most of us put status and bragging rights at a lower priority than functionality. Fine Corinthian leather seats mean little to me or my hound riding in the back seat.

Others want, are willing and able to pay for the best.

Also the older I get, the more function overrides fancy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Safe travels
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder why they only have a 12v/110v refrigerator. Seems to me a small trailer like that would be great for some serious boondocking but with the refrigerator dependent only on electricity and two small group 24 batteries the time allowed would be quite limited. They have propane on board for other things, why not include the refrigerator on gas too?
All they need to do is increase the price by another $4000 or so!:E:R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, if I were wanting a trailer this size I'd go with a Casita. Much less expensive and better interior layout in my opinion. Someday when the kids move out, I might buy one for the wife and I.
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Why would anyone buy an Mercedes, BMW, Volvo etc. over a good old Ford or Chevy?

There is a certain about of pride of ownership. Either you have it or you do not.

If you do not have it, you are driving a stripped down, bare bones, basic model vehicle. If you do have it, you are driving the best model you can afford.

Some folk like it and can afford it, others want way more TT for their dollar.

Still other folks think the idea of pulling a barn behind you down the road, is foolish when there are dozens of hotel in each town they go to.

BS. That's one of the most ridiculous generalizations I've ever hear.

Just because one has pride in ownership doesn't mean one buys the top of the line model, nor does it mean one drives a BMW.

There are those who have great pride in ownership who can afford more but choose to buy a cheaper model car. Then there are those who buy MB, BMW, etc. who have no pride in ownership and never care for their vehicles. They buy just to show off.

Yeah, I want more TT for my dollar, which is why I wouldn't overspend on something like this.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
If you do not have it, you are driving a stripped down, bare bones, basic model vehicle. If you do have it, you are driving the best model you can afford.

And others find something in between those two points a good compromise.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Why would anyone buy an Mercedes, BMW, Volvo etc. over a good old Ford or Chevy?

There is a certain about of pride of ownership. Either you have it or you do not.

Some folk like it and can afford it, others want way more TT for their dollar.

Still other folks think the idea of pulling a barn behind you down the road, is foolish when there are dozens of hotel in each town they go to.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I like that Airstream acquired itself back in 2016!

And for $45k I can buy a nice used class A and live comfortably!

Thor (the company that bought the Airstream brand) Is really milking all they can out of the Airstream name.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
I did not intend to offend it's just that when people start running down something they haven't seen in person, haven't touched, used , know only price and nothing else it is usually because they can't afford the item. I am not here to defend Airstream and neither am I here to run it down.

BTW Ralph just add a quart of oil and your good to go.

Ah, but you haven't met me, seen me, or touched me, but you know that I don't like it because I can't afford it?

All I did was point out that this inanimate thing is all style and little substance, but you're making judgements about people? Hmmmm.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
... Linky Link...

Cute but pricey!

Should be a great seller
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I did not intend to offend it's just that when people start running down something they haven't seen in person, haven't touched, used , know only price and nothing else it is usually because they can't afford the item. I am not here to defend Airstream and neither am I here to run it down.

BTW Ralph just add a quart of oil and your good to go.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
It is in line price wise with many European caravans. If you can't afford something that is not a reason to knock it. The public at large will determine if it survives. Many of the same things were said about the 1929 Airstream. Has your manufacturers been around since 1929?

I could well afford it, but don't overpay for things just because I can. BTW, Airstream is owned by Thor I believe.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
NWnative wrote:
As an Airstream owner myself......Even I find the price for the Nest to be over the top. For 10K less you can get the AS Basecamp which is much more versatile for this size TT. With that said, these will sell like hot cakes.....

What I want to know is can I tow one with a worn out 3 cylinder Chevy Metro lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?