cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing landing gear motor - precautions?

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to replace the landing gear motor. Quick question, will the gear box keep the landing gear fully locked (i.e. the 5er will not suddenly start to lower) or do I need to pin up to do the swap? Any other considerations to consider? The gear box appears to be the better quality all metal version rather than the plastic, but I will reverify that when I do the work.
Thanks.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
6 REPLIES 6

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, will put a jack under the pin. The reason I ask is because the trailer is currently parked in the backyard, getting the truck in at this time of the year will rip up the soggy grass!
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It won't drop, but use some backup supports anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
I actually JUST replaced my motor yesterday (then put the old one back on after finding out the new one did not fix my problems).
The motor can slide on and off without hitching up etc.
Same as the gear box. I did that too.

I am now waiting on my new landing gear to show that I bought online last night!
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
The motor turns the gears only, you can pull the motor and the gearbox with no problems.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Simply place a jack under the nose to support everything. This takes what two minutes. If I remember correctly the gear box motor assembly has to come off in one piece to access the screws that hold them together.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just hook up to the truck?