cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7-Way Cord Storage

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I'm a 5vr newbie... Please bear with me as I ask a bevvy of stupid questions throughout our first season with the new unit :S

What does everyone do with the pigtail of cord that hangs from the kingpin when you unhook and pull the tow vehicle away? I'm 6'-1" and I can barely reach over the dropped tailgate and stuff the pigtail up into the kingpin cavity, where is usually falls out a couple times before finally sticking anyway... I'm thinking of some sort of hanger or clip arrangement to hold the pigtail up and out of the way? Does such an animal already exist? No need to reinvent the wheel, just figured I'd ask (another) dumb question.
'18 Jayco Alante 31R
18 REPLIES 18

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I also just let the cord hang over the end of the tailgate as I pull away. Then I just loop mine over the front lip of the pin box. With a 5th Airborne pin box there is not much room to put it inside of it.

We have the 5th AB as well and plenty of room to coil the cord and store inside of it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is hanging over the front lip of the hitch for now. Not sure yet what I will do once I put the Goosebox hitch on. My just put it inside like I use to.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:
Stop by your local farm equipment dealer or AutoZone and pick up one of these. 7 pin plug storage

yep the ones i use are like what DSteiner posted. Takes care of the plug as it should be cared for. Lots riding on the condition of that plug.

A thought just came to mind about more attention given to storing coffee filters. :h

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 6'1" but have long arms unhook the pigtail fold it in half and shove it in the pinbox. A lot of posts for a non issue.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
I leave the plug in the kingpin box, but the long loop of cord hanging down. Looks untidy, but helps to keep me from walking into the pin. You would not do that, of course.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
i pull a head enough to open the tailgate, then I disconnect it and stuff it into the king pin cavity and finish pulling away, i do the reverse when hooking up.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Stop by your local farm equipment dealer or AutoZone and pick up one of these. 7 pin plug storage
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Moki
Explorer
Explorer
I just went the local salvage yard and for $5 got a female half of a connector from a wrecked vehicle and mounted it at the back of the pinbox open end pointing down. The cover will lock the extra cord in place just like it does on the tow vehicle.
2016 Ford 350 6.7 Diesel Ext cab 8' bed SRW
Pullrite 18K OEM Hitch
EU 2000i
WB9MKZ

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
just squrt some dielectric grease into both parts.
never any problems again.
just keep the rv corded end out of the dirt. and have a springy cover on the trucks connection.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Bear_N_Honeys
Explorer
Explorer
Try velcro on the unit and harness to hold it. Also cover the contacts on the unit a towed to keep the corrosion from causing issues.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Check Tweety's for "7 Pin Plug Holder"
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Like he said BUT the smart thing to always remember is to take the cord out before you back under the fifth wheel again.

I built a hook that I keep handy to reach into the kingpin and pull it out.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oakman wrote:
I just let the cord hang down behind the tailgate and then pull away. Once the truck is out of the way I stuff the cord into the kingpin cavity. Never been a problem.
Yep, what he said. Not a big deal.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I also just let the cord hang over the end of the tailgate as I pull away. Then I just loop mine over the front lip of the pin box. With a 5th Airborne pin box there is not much room to put it inside of it.