cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gas stations

underpanda
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading down from Tennessee to Florida panhandle through the state of Alabama. We have a 30 ft travel trailer towed by a Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L hemi and I'm concerned about finding gas stations that I can fill up without having to unhook or back out of when refueling. Has anyone had a problem with this? Most of the stations I've seen have the rain cover high enough but with the store close to the pumps and a lot of vehicles I would think I'd have a problem even at truck stops.
23 REPLIES 23

Red_Rig
Explorer
Explorer
I've never unhitched for refueling. I've been in some pretty tight spots at times--sometimes made worse by high volumes of traffic coming through the station, but never even gave it a thought. Just wiggled my way through. Made it so far. Now I have a diesel, so I plan on using truck stops. Hope it makes my next trip go faster. It's 2345 miles each way.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
Have someone google earth before you need gas. Look for stations that you can pull around the back and proceed slowly on the approach and if you don’t like the looks of it keep going. It really is not a big issue if you pay attention. Avoid really busy areas and look for end pumps. Strangely enough it really is part of the adventure.

X2 what we do

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing TT,5th w for nearly 60 yrs and only one time I had to back out the way I came in. I never use Truck Stops, always reg Service S. I always check it out before pulling into them. The last time I had a few problems was several yrs ago as I was towing a 40 fy 5th w. I only did that one yr as I went back to a 31 ft TT. I dont think you will have any problem
samsontdog:o:W

underpanda
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I wondered if truck stops where the 18 wheelers gas up even had a gas pump. i guess I just needed a confidence builder from people who have actually been there.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we have 33 ft tt and ford 250 crew cab gasser. i always plan gas stops with google earth so i can see layout of station and pumps. never had a problem. but have had to be patient and wait on outside pumps at times.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Look for stations where the islands are parallel to the building rather than perpendicular. Plan your exit route before entering.

Also agree. Plan the exit before you pull up to a pump. Pumps that are parallel to the road with two entrances work well. Gas stations on the corner of roads often work well too if there in an entrance on each perpendicular road. Its isn't as difficult to find as you think. From the interstate, I recommend stopping at exits with multiple stations. 1/3 is bound to work.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Get the gas buddy app on your smart phone and use google earth to see details of the layout.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Surprisingly, you can get in and out of just about any station out there. After you've done it a few times you'll learn what will end well and what won't. Getting in and out of them isn't that hard most times. Stick to the outside pumps if you can as it's easier to maneuver around those. If you can't pull forward to leave, just back out the same way you came in. Nobody wants to have to do that, but sometimes it's necessary.

Sometimes it's best to be a bit of a bully. If there's another pump available in front of you then occupy both. People like to use the pumps as a parking spots, blocking your easy exit.

Truck stops normally give you plenty of room around the gas pumps. Flying J is probably the best since there's normally a separate RV island that has plenty of space around it. Sometimes you can find one at Pilot and Loves, but I haven't found many that have them. Loves and Pilot usually have lots of space, but sometimes they put the pumps a little too close to the store.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes I map my stops before a long driving schedule.
Choose one or more truck stop websites and find stations within your range.

Loves, T/A, Flying J, Petros, Pilot all have a website and plenty of space.

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By: beemerphile1 on 04/14/18 12:21pm 

Look for stations where the islands are parallel to the building rather than perpendicular. Plan your exit route before entering

Best advice. We've fueled up ar several small stations like this.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
I carry one 5 gallon gas can when traveling long distance. have only used it once.
Don't wait till your in a tight.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take my 45' MH into which station has the best price (GassBuddy) it is a couple blocks further from the interstate and often 25 cents less expensive. In 14 years never had a problem although some times have to wait for the end pumps with diesel to open up. Yes, I've gotten some open mouth looks. When you are getting 100+ gallons this adds up.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Gas Buddy is a GREAT app! We use it all the time when traveling. Excellent resource, especially when finding diesel fuel and traveling in unknown, new to us territories.

sonnyw
Explorer
Explorer
We make the trip from Tennessee to Gulf Shores or PCB Florida twice a year. Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi and 35 ft travel trailer, and never have fueling problems. We stop mostly at Pilot / Flying J use the RV lanes. I know a few on here say Pilot/Flying higher in price, but we have found price in that area close to the same or cheaper using Good Sam Plus card.
Sonny - That's Me
Pat - My Wife, My Best Friend
Bella - My 4 Legged Friend
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
2014 Viewfinder Signature VS-32RLSS - The Old Folks Home
WiFi Ranger
Progressive Industries